Sponsored

Curious - are there Ford or aftermarket S550 convertible tops that aren't black?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Can't help thinking with some paint colors black isn't the best top color.

Did a quick search and can't find any off the shelf color but black.
Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
To my knowledge there was never any option on the S550 convertible other than black. For the aftermarket, it is unlikely that you will find anything other than black because it is such a small market. With reasonable maintenance, the cloth top would likely last at least 10 years and likely beyond, so the need for replacement tops is small and no top maker would want to have to hold the stock for the, likely, few who would go with a different colour.

jimroth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Convertible 401A P8F Rapid Red
Can't help thinking with some paint colors black isn't the best top color.

Did a quick search and can't find any off the shelf color but black.
I was wondering that myself. I bet an auto upholstery shop can just make one for you. They made a new top for my friend's 67 Cougar after an animal destroyed it.
I grew up with a '66 convertible in Tahoe Turquoise with a white top, (the car seen at left after an Earl Scheib repaint) and I have thought about trying to recreate that look in a modern Mustang, maybe add a white stripe! It would be cool for Florida, anyway.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
My Thunderbird had a Cashmere colored top. (off white, lighter than tan) made by Haartz cloth.

Other colors could be installed afterwards. I had a white vinyl convertible top that replaced my original black top on another car. It's doable.

CVCashmere

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
I actually was thinking about getting a white top. I have a red with 50 years package, so it has the chrome trim in the grille and around the tail lights. The white top would round out the classic look. I also wanted to do a two tone interior like the 50th anniversary editions.

Sponsored

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
I actually was thinking about getting a white top. I have a red with 50 years package, so it has the chrome trim in the grille and around the tail lights. The white top would round out the classic look. I also wanted to do a two tone interior like the 50th anniversary editions.
You might want to get some input about keeping a white top clean. I had a friend put a white top on a '57 Chevy, granted it was one of the old vinyl tops and not cloth. He spent a lot of time working to keep it clean looking.

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
You might want to get some input about keeping a white top clean. I had a friend put a white top on a '57 Chevy, granted it was one of the old vinyl tops and not cloth. He spent a lot of time working to keep it clean looking.
I saw a new red convertible, can't remember what exactly, I want to say it was a new Vet, with a tan top; IMO, it looked awful. I think black goes pretty well with almost every other color; white would probably work as well but, as you said, would be a nightmare to maintain. I love the look of the black top with my triple yellow; I can't imagine what else would look as good.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have owned several cars with white tops and one with a red top. A white cloth top is a dirt magnet. It stays pretty clean if you don't put it up much, but then you may get some marks from grease or lubricant from the top raising hardware. But, on some cars, it just looks right.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I would think a boat canvas shop could set you up.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Prediction:

The last year for the vert before the model change...they will come out with a tan top and tan interior just like the older S197 Pony cars that roam my neighborhood.

they will do a run of 500 and call it a day.

When the S660 comes out, verts will lag behind the initial release of hardtops.

There...wait til 2023 and see if this happens.

I remain,

CVCashmere
Sponsored