Sponsored

F150 vs. Sequoia… Getting rid of my F150? Is a Sequioa as good in the snow as an F150?

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I like to consider myself a ford guy. I love cars, as most of you all do. But a ford has always been my goto vehicle. Ive had various F150s since about 1995. Best truck on the road IMO.

a little background? I commute about 26 miles one way to work, i work at a hospital, non medical, in the IT field but still, on stormy maine winter weather,, i go to work. My f150s over the years have done me well. We have a fairly long - 250 ft driveway, so often times, i will head out to work in the morning and come home to an unplowed driveway, my f150’s are usually unstoppable, i can usually just put it in 4wd and smash through the driveway end snowbank and push through 8” or a foot of snow to get to the house so i can get my tractor out and plow the driveway.
Ive always had the pickup and its always done me well….

I think i am going to trade im my 2017 f150 and get a Toyota sequoia. It will be my first foreign car, it will be my first suv and my first non 4wd truck. The toyota will be 4wd, and i am assuming it will be good in the snow? Its got plenty of clearance, its only a 6cyl, but 485 hp. My f150 is an 8 cylinder 400 hp.

does anyone own a sequoia? Are they good in the snow? Any concerns?

the obvious is the lack of convenience of the pickup, if i want to grab wood or pallets or anything, now, i can just huck it in the back of the truck. With the suv i will be limited as to what i can just toss in it.
Im just kind of interested in the convenience of the suv. More room for the dog, more room for the grandkids, and i dig the style of the sequioa. I really considered an expedition, but prefer the styling of the toyota…. I love the 4 runner too but want a bigger engine for towing, same with an explorer, great looking suv but i want something with more clearance to push through deep or heavy snow, to get me up the driveway or to and fro work with confidence…

anyone own a sequoia? Any issues? Or reasons i would want to stick with a pickup? I have a 9*6 trailer, so if i need i can always use the trailer if i want to pick up a door or firewood or anything ‘big’.

Sequoia vs F150? Thoughts?

IMG_3107.jpeg

IMG_7563.jpeg

IMG_7973.jpeg
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
My wife had a 4Runner limited few years back. It was rock solid with the exception of a tail light connection issue that popped up a few times. My biggest complaint to an excellent vehicle was the lack of power. For her it was never an issue and she really enjoyed it. It was outstanding in the snow being full time all wheel drive. I know you know this but I kept good all season tires on it, which is a very important part of the bad weather performance. The new engine hp side is a huge improvement. Toyota’s quality is without doubt top notch, as well as the resale. The one thing that would be a problem(almost deal breaker) is losing the bed. I just need it to much to not have a bed. That said simple remedy would be to buy a small trailer for those needs unless you already have one, problem solved. The utility and comfort of a really nice utv is a hard to beat as well. You’d probably notice the true four doo and extra room quite a bit and it’d feel cavernous for a while.

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS
I bought a 2019 Sequoia Limited 4WD brand new a few years back. Was solid and really liked it. Put on 90K miles on 2 1/2 years and would have bought another one but no one had any for sale so I moved on to a new 2021 Expedition Limited which I also like. Just about due for another new SUV so I’ll probably take another look at the Sequoia. But Toyota has had major trouble keeping up with production of many of their vehicles unfortunately.
20181113_163026.jpeg

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
My friend had the 5.7 Sequoia Limited 4WD and even with the stock all season tires it was pretty much unstoppable. The only downside was it incredibly thirsty even driven with a very light foot.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
The old sequoias were just as reliable as the old Tundras which is to say nearly unstoppable.

Wife and I had been looking at the new TRD Pro Sequoia with the I-Force Max setup. for her to replace her 2016 Tundra. Looks great on the outside and the powertrain is solid, but the third row area looks super cheap and doesn't have much leg room. Ended up buying a plug-in hybrid Lincoln Aviator Black Label Grand Touring instead. Can still tow up to 5,600 lbs when needed which is enough for us and our needs. It's much better appointed, can run on full ev on short trips to save fuel, and has a combined 494hp and 630lb/ft of torque and will run 0-60 in 5 seconds flat with 3rd row seating.

TRD pro starts at $78,000 but seems to sell at 85-90 more often than not. Black Label Grand Touring aviators are right around the 92-95k mark.

It's basically a luxury Explorer ST with air ride, magneride shocks, and an additional bunch of power.

52528216871_8513ee2c12_h.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
My wife had a 4Runner limited few years back. It was rock solid with the exception of a tail light connection issue that popped up a few times. My biggest complaint to an excellent vehicle was the lack of power. For her it was never an issue and she really enjoyed it. It was outstanding in the snow being full time all wheel drive. I know you know this but I kept good all season tires on it, which is a very important part of the bad weather performance. The new engine hp side is a huge improvement. Toyota’s quality is without doubt top notch, as well as the resale. The one thing that would be a problem(almost deal breaker) is losing the bed. I just need it to much to not have a bed. That said simple remedy would be to buy a small trailer for those needs unless you already have one, problem solved. The utility and comfort of a really nice utv is a hard to beat as well. You’d probably notice the true four doo and extra room quite a bit and it’d feel cavernous for a while.
this is my complain with our 4runner TRD. solid truck. only mechanical issues we've had in two 4runners now is my wife putting very old gas from a hurricane into the tank and blowing some injectors. But DAMN it is boring as shit to drive. completely gutless.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
this is my complain with our 4runner TRD. solid truck. only mechanical issues we've had in two 4runners now is my wife putting very old gas from a hurricane into the tank and blowing some injectors. But DAMN it is boring as shit to drive. completely gutless.
It's even worse in the mountains yet every third vehicle here is a 4runner or taco. Not sure how people can stand it lol

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had a rental Toyota Taco on a trip last summer and IMO it really sucked bad. The ergonomics of the seats are for short people. Now I'm 6'4", but Ford pickups and Mustangs fit me well. The Tacoma did not. And I don't mind a tight cabin - I recently sold my GR86 (which I liked quite a bit).

The brakes on the Tacoma were very grabby. Step on the pedal and nothing, nothing, nothing.. EVERYTHING! Especially at low speeds. I apologized to my wife a few times about that.

The Tacoma engine was sufficient as far as power goes, but it sounded like it was ready to explode at any minute if you stepped on it at all.

This was a new vehicle - maybe 6,000 miles on it. It definitely looked good on the outside. Oh one other nit is the alarm for low tire pressure went off midway during the trip a few days after we rented it. There actually was no issue, but it caused some concern for us. Just a false alarm.

I have no idea if the Sequioa is completely different or not.

I didn't like how my Toybaru was set up in limited traction situations. Rather than pulling power like Fords do, it used the brakes to reduce wheel spin. The first time I drove through heavy snow I ended up smelling the brakes because they got so hot. After that I just turned off the traction control in the snow. Probably with 4WD this won't be an issue, but I think Michigan is a lot snowier than most of Japan. Japanese cars I don't think are fine tuned as well for cold and snow. So if I had to guess, you will probably be fine at low speed in deep snow due to 4WD, but ice on the highway might be more of a concern.

The other feedback I have that I think is relevant to this thread is my local Toyota dealership was very unforgiving/stingy on warranty discussions. My radio stopped working when the GR86 was only a few months old. They acted like it might not be covered under warranty! And I read a lot of feedback from other owners that their local dealers would discourage any warranty work.

I'm sure this means Toyota is stingy. I trust Ford for quality and longevity generally because I've owned a lot of Fords. Some of them had really high mileage (220,000 on an Explorer, and my F250 has 240,000). I didn't trust Toyota to cover my NEW vehicle. They advertise the GR86 to be a good track vehicle. Heck, they even gave me a free track day. I was afraid to use the free track day because they wrote right on the track day invitation that if my car broke on track it might not be covered under warranty. I went to the GT350 track event when I owned a GT350. Ford actually supplied a car. And Ford went above and beyond covering GT350 owners who lost their engines. There are a number of stories of GR86 owners that ended up replacing engines at their cost due to being told it wasn't covered under warranty. Sometimes those guys hadn't even had their car on track.

Sorry about the long book. I hope it's helpful.

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Being good in the snow is about the tires, not the vehicle. Your Mustang could get up your driveway in a foot of snow with the correct tires.

I would be more concerned with the corrosion issues Toyotas have had, especially in Maine where I'm assuming they salt and brine the hell out of the roads.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jxp1962

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Being good in the snow is about the tires, not the vehicle. Your Mustang could get up your driveway in a foot of snow with the correct tires.

I would be more concerned with the corrosion issues Toyotas have had, especially in Maine where I'm assuming they salt and brine the hell out of the roads.
Well clearance too, but i hear ya…. My f150 was rotting away too, transmission lines went on it. I have since taken to spraying. 6 or so cans of amsoil anti corrosion to the underside… hoping to stem the rotting process.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Well clearance too, but i hear ya…. My f150 was rotting away too, transmission lines went on it. I have since taken to spraying. 6 or so cans of amsoil anti corrosion to the underside… hoping to stem the rotting process.
There's lots of good anti-corrosives out there. I put some Fluid-film on my car, and I've heard it's really good. Comes in black too.

Do that every year?

OP
OP
Jxp1962

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I started with the amsoil 2.5 years ago, after the tranny lines rotted out. Im on the 4th treatment, i plan to do it to my mustang too although it doesnt see salt and the dreaded brine….

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I started with the amsoil 2.5 years ago, after the tranny lines rotted out. Im on the 4th treatment, i plan to do it to my mustang too although it doesnt see salt and the dreaded brine….
I use a lanolin product called Woolwax to coat the undersides of my vehicles. It works pretty well in my opinion. I do it yearly, and some of it is still there the next fall when I go to recoat. I think it's especially good because I have a gravel driveway. The lanolin doesn't dry, but it absorbs some of the dirt from the driveway, which makes a nice thick and soft barrier on the underside of the car. The downside is the car doesn't smell very good for a few weeks after being coated.
Sponsored