rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Hey all,

I've done some searching, but I think my prowess is getting worse and I can't really find what I'm looking for. I'm thinking about installing extended lugs and using slip-on spacers instead of the bolt on ones I have right now. I can't figure out what size studs I should buy - either 1/2" or 1". I'm buying a set of wheels in the spring, gunning for 19x10.5+45 all around and using a 20mm spacer in the front. I'll be running PP1 wheels during the winter with a 25mm up front and a 20mm in the rear.

I think I should go 1" in the front and maybe 1/2" in the rear? I'd love to not have a ton of excess stud showing when running the summer wheels.

Would probably pull the trigger tomorrow on the tail end of a BF/CM sale if someone in the know could hook me up.

Thanks all!
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Weeelll.

1” = 25.4mm.

so if you want to run 25mm spacers on the front you need the +1” studs to keep the same available stud length as the stock studs with no spacer. that’s easy math.

Ok 20mm rear spacer. A 1/2” stud only gives you about 12.7mm extra stud length to work with, and with that a 18mm spacer would probably be the max you should ever go. I don’t think a 20mm spacer will give you enough turns of thread engagement, so you’d also want a 1” extended stud (which would be 5mm longer than is ideal) or...

... or drop down to a 15mm rear spacer with the 1/2” extended stud (which would be a safe 3mm shorter than ideal) when running your PP1 rear wheels.

1” rear studs gives you the most flexibility, but yeah thats 1” more stud than your summer wheels need.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Winter driving really calls for the wheels to be set back a little deeper into the wheelwells. There's more stuff on the roads in the winter for the tires to throw off, so you might as well aim that stuff further away from your car's paint.

Function > appearance here, lest the future appearance end up with a bigger problem than un-flush wheels.

Norm

OP
OP
rxryanm

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
It would be helpful to know the tire size you plan on running as well. 19X10's with 285's fit just fine all around without spacers.
Looking to emulate (copy) this, just a little bigger sidewall - I found some PSS in 305/35, so I think I'll probably go with those assuming they're still available come spring. I really wanted a set of these when I had my Infiniti, so I was pumped they can fit on a Mustang too.

Weeelll.

1” = 25.4mm.

so if you want to run 25mm spacers on the front you need the +1” studs to keep the same available stud length as the stock studs with no spacer. that’s easy math.

Ok 20mm rear spacer. A 1/2” stud only gives you about 12.7mm extra stud length to work with, and with that a 18mm spacer would probably be the max you should ever go. I don’t think a 20mm spacer will give you enough turns of thread engagement, so you’d also want a 1” extended stud (which would be 5mm longer than is ideal) or...

... or drop down to a 15mm rear spacer with the 1/2” extended stud (which would be a safe 3mm shorter than ideal) when running your PP1 rear wheels.

1” rear studs gives you the most flexibility, but yeah thats 1” more stud than your summer wheels need.
Duh on the fronts. Duh. Obviously didn't even think about it in that fashion, but it makes so much sense having someone spoonfeed it to you haha.

If 1" in the rear is what has to be done, then so be it. Not a big deal, just try to find lugs that'll hopefully swallow up as much of it as possible. Appreciate your help!

Winter driving really calls for the wheels to be set back a little deeper into the wheelwells. There's more stuff on the roads in the winter for the tires to throw off, so you might as well aim that stuff further away from your car's paint.

Function > appearance here, lest the future appearance end up with a bigger problem than un-flush wheels.

Norm
Good thoughts too, Norm! Can I also say, in doing my digging last night, I came across quite a few threads where you had commented something helpful, per usual. So for all the new people here, just wanna say thanks for being a great source of info.

NightmareMoon and Mik, same goes for you two as well. Always helpful and I always appreciate seeing your comments cuz I know I can trust them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
rxryanm

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Thanks, but I wouldn't trust anything I say :crackup:. Seriously though, you might want to go up to an 11in width if you want to run the 305's. the 10.5 maxes out around 295. The tire will fit, but you won't get as much benefit from the extra width, as it will be stretched over the edge.
Will take that first part under advisement hahaha

Yep, good call. Idk why I had myself convinced 305 was the upper limit for 10.5.

These are the wheel studs for the front.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-100-7733

Assuming you're not running spacers on the rear, you'll want part #7732 on that end. They're 1/2" shorter.
Much obliged, Tim!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If 1" in the rear is what has to be done, then so be it. Not a big deal, just try to find lugs that'll hopefully swallow up as much of it as possible.
Obviously you'll be needing open-end lug nuts to secure the wheels. But if there's enough exposed thread to double-nut the stud, without there being an absolutely huge amount of exposed thread, you could take the OE closed-end lug nuts and run them down to cover the threads. Torque to maybe 30 ft*lbs max.

You'd remove the OE nuts for track time and the tech inspection for it.

Here, the long ARP studs stuck out nearly an inch and a half past the outer surface of the wheel at the hub. There's probably a better-looking solution, but this at least works and you have everything you need already on hand.

Your wheels aren't wide enough - web.jpg

Yes, I know the picture is a mirror-image. I have no idea how that happened.

Norm

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
OP
OP
rxryanm

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Ended up grabbing 1" all around from @LethalPerformance. I felt like the BF/CM deal made them good enough to not pass up.

I feel like opmustang is the only place I see recommended with slip-on spacers, so I'll wait on those to come back in stock to order. Unless any of you gents have suggestions for others?

Sponsored

Syphon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary
I've wanted to go 25mm hubcentric spacers all around on my PP1 wheels. But I hear there was some mods that had to be done to the wheel studs for them to fit properly and be safe. Is that true?

OP
OP
rxryanm

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
I've wanted to go 25mm hubcentric spacers all around on my PP1 wheels. But I hear there was some mods that had to be done to the wheel studs for them to fit properly and be safe. Is that true?
25mm may give you more poke in the rear than you're expecting, FYI. Steeda (I have their bolt-on spacers currently) recommends 25mm front/20mm rear. Those are the sizes I'm running right now and I think they look great.

To run bolt-on spacers, which I don't think a lot of people recommend due to @Mikthehun1's reasoning, I didn't have to do anything to the studs or my PP wheels.

Syphon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary
25mm may give you more poke in the rear than you're expecting, FYI. Steeda (I have their bolt-on spacers currently) recommends 25mm front/20mm rear. Those are the sizes I'm running right now and I think they look great.

To run bolt-on spacers, which I don't think a lot of people recommend due to @Mikthehun1's reasoning, I didn't have to do anything to the studs or my PP wheels.
Ok cool. I was just hearing you had to cut the stud in the rear for everything to bolt up correctly. So on stock PP1 wheels I can order 25 for front and 20 for rears... just bolt them on and be safe?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Ya, that's kinda what the whole thread is about. The best answer is to run extended wheel studs which capture the spacer between the hub and the wheel.

When I have my 19x11 wheels on (52mm offset), I run a 25mm spacer (Eibach) on the front and none on the rear.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Ok cool. I was just hearing you had to cut the stud in the rear for everything to bolt up correctly. So on stock PP1 wheels I can order 25 for front and 20 for rears... just bolt them on and be safe?
I haven't actually tried it, but I suspect no. In that scenario, I think both F&R studs would stand proud of the spacer and cause an issue when you tried to mount the wheel. That's one reason I've gone the route of extended lugs. The other reason is that this is just too many bolted connections stacked on top of each other for me. A spacer works fine, but I want them through bolted.
Sponsored