Sponsored

Epic Idaho Drive (and Photos)

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
This weekend I attended the awesome Mustang Day Cruise put on by the Treasure Valley Mustang Club in Boise, ID. It was a great cruise (and got to meet up with @Idaho2018GTPremium ) - but, the next day was truly epic.

A lot of people think Idaho probably looks like Kansas: flat, for growing potatoes. But they couldn't be more wrong. Idaho is actually ~80% mountains and is crisscrossed by these scenic byways - a real driver's paradise (when it's not covered in snow!).

I had always wanted to drive this one particular set of scenic byways that linked Boise to Idaho Falls, ID ( Google Maps Link ):

sawtooth_drive.jpg

333 miles of awesome twists and turns that go right along several rivers and end up on some awesome roads in open mountain valleys. Hit that Google Maps link above and check out street view at some of the spots in the mountains - epic.

Having just purchased my new 2019 Mustang GT in January I was itching to take a drive like this... and I was looking for a chance to get my camera out and try my hand at some car photography. Also, I had just had the whole car professionally ceramic coated (Gtechniq Ultra). So my fiancè and I headed out from Boise at around 7am... and here's what we saw:

Just getting into the hills:
20210418-DSC_1657.jpg

My Car:
20210418-DSC_1661.jpg

Good Desktop:
20210418-DSC_1663.jpg

Early valley:
20210418-DSC_1658.jpg

At a rest stop:
20210418-DSC_1676.jpg

20210418-DSC_1682.jpg

Rocky Valley:
20210418-DSC_1692.jpg

Magazine shot:
20210418-DSC_1698.jpg

Big overlook:
20210418-DSC_1703.jpg

Down the valley:
20210418-DSC_1720.jpg

Deep canyon:
20210418-DSC_1725.jpg

Near Stanley:
20210418-DSC_1753.jpg

20210418-DSC_1763.jpg

20210418-DSC_1764.jpg

South of Mackay:
20210418-DSC_1772.jpg

Mackay Reservoir (that is the real color of the water - it's ultra pure snow melt):
20210418-DSC_1774.jpg

20210418-DSC_1777.jpg

As you can see - it was a spectacularly beautiful drive! Highly recommended!

I'll post some videos my fiance took while I was driving in the second post here (need to upload them) - they are just from her handheld iPhone, so nothing special - but should give you an idea of what the road is all about.
Sponsored

OP
OP
friedmud

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Reserved for posting videos

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Very jealous, Albertan prairie roads are boring as hell to drive

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Great pics and beautiful scenery. I am more familiar with the eastern mountains, but would love to get to drive out that way some day.

OP
OP
friedmud

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Very jealous, Albertan prairie roads are boring as hell to drive
I hear you. I have mountains about an hour away in any direction - but right where I live is all farm land. Literally just a perfect grid of straight roads spaced out by one mile. This was the first time I was able to go drive the car on some twisty stuff!

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Idaho is so beautiful, esp. the view of the Sawtooths from Stanley, certainly amazing and epic. And great photos, btw! Too bad we didn't get a pic of the three of our cars together (@friedmud 's GT, my ZL1 and my buddy's '19 GT350).

I enjoyed meeting both you and your fiancé (who seemed so awesome and natural just hanging out with a bunch of "car guys"!) - I wish we could have all chatted more but it seemed like we all kind of rushed out of Wild Rose Park eager to drive. Beautiful drive, sorry if we lost you on Hwy 55 for a bit (but you were able to catch up)!!

Your active exhaust sounded great, by the way.

I have yet to take my ZL1 on such twisty roads as your drive back to I. Falls - I think this weekend I'll take it up to Bogus Basin - so long as there isn't much traffic.

Looking forward to next time!

OP
OP
friedmud

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Idaho is so beautiful, esp. the view of the Sawtooths from Stanley, certainly amazing and epic. And great photos, btw! Too bad we didn't get a pic of the three of our cars together (@friedmud 's GT, my ZL1 and my buddy's '19 GT350).

I enjoyed meeting both you and your fiancé (who seemed so awesome and natural just hanging out with a bunch of "car guys"!) - I wish we could have all chatted more but it seemed like we all kind of rushed out of Wild Rose Park eager to drive. Beautiful drive, sorry if we lost you on Hwy 55 for a bit (but you were able to catch up)!!

Your active exhaust sounded great, by the way.

I have yet to take my ZL1 on such twisty roads as your drive back to I. Falls - I think this weekend I'll take it up to Bogus Basin - so long as there isn't much traffic.

Looking forward to next time!
Thanks!

Yeah - we will definitely need some more time to hang out next time (and I'll definitely want to get some pics of all three of our cars together!). Everything was kind of a scramble with how many cars there were at the meetup.

lol on losing me on 55 - I was outgunned for sure (GT vs. GT350 & ZL1)... but also a bit timid since I had never driven it before. Yeah - I'm going with that! :wink:

Thanks for the note on the exhaust - I still can't believe that it is completely _stock_ and sounds that way!

Have fun, and report back on your Bogus Basin drive!

tomdwa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
white mustang ecoboost hpp
We were in Idaho in the summer of 2019 (pre-Covid), in the same region. The Sawtooth Mountains are awesome, and we did some beautiful hot springs too. I agree that the mountain roads in the area (Boise-Idaho City-Stanley) are great fun to drive, we did it in a rental Chrysler 300S V6 which was nice.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Definitely love my Idaho excursions. Similar beauty in Utah, it's definitely a blessing to own a fun car in this region.

Have you ever driven up Bogus Basin? I really enjoyed that road the last time I was in Boise, but I was also extra lucky to not really have any traffic in front of me.

Sponsored

tomdwa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
white mustang ecoboost hpp
Definitely love my Idaho excursions. Similar beauty in Utah, it's definitely a blessing to own a fun car in this region.

Have you ever driven up Bogus Basin? I really enjoyed that road the last time I was in Boise, but I was also extra lucky to not really have any traffic in front of me.

Will remember that one of the next times we cross the ocean to visit the US. The world must get rid of Covid first though 😕.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
Idaho is on my list of places to get to at some point.

OP
OP
friedmud

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Nice photos. I would have stopped at those streams for some trout fishing.
There were tons of people doing just that. This area is huge for fly fishing. Not sure what they were fishing for though - could be salmon.
Sponsored