MandoGt350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armando
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Possibly getting a 2020 GT, I had the tick on my 18 GT. Are there any great preventive measures that can be done to help reduce the chances of this tick occurring? Break in, oil change interval, oil type, and so on?
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Possibly getting a 2020 GT, I had the tick on my 18 GT. Are there any great preventive measures that can be done to help reduce the chances of this tick occurring? Break in, oil change interval, oil type, and so on?
Prevent it, no. Reduce it, yes. It’s part of the engine design. They all have it to one degree or another. On some it’s quite noticeable, others, like mine, not so much. Buy it and enjoy it.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Change the oil at 200 miles, then again at 600 miles and then at 2k. Use the MC blend oil and MC filter. Check the catch pan on the first change and look at the metal particles in the bottom. You will be amazed that this crud is flowing throughout the motor.The little factory installed filter is one inch shorter that the FL500 replacement. Don't know why. Finally break in the engine correctly and let it cold start idle for a few minutes until the engine note changes indicating that the oil pressure has reached the top of the motor. You can hear it change to a more quiet note.

CrimsonRocket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Vehicle(s)
2014 Magnetic Mustang V6, 2019 Race Red GT convertible
I got the tick at around 2500 miles on my 2019 GT. This was about 5 months after I bought the car new. I added "Liquid Moly - Anti-Friction Oil Treatment - 300 ml" the next day.

The tick went away and has not come back. I'm at 5000 miles now, due for the first oil change. I'm going to have them add the LM when they make the change.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Just a reminder, while the tick is annoying, its not been proven to have ANY negative affects on the long term durability of the engine. For me the tick will be there 1 day then I won't hear it for weeks. Even if idling in a garage.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Change the oil at 200 miles, then again at 600 miles and then at 2k. Use the MC blend oil and MC filter. Check the catch pan on the first change and look at the metal particles in the bottom. You will be amazed that this crud is flowing throughout the motor.The little factory installed filter is one inch shorter that the FL500 replacement. Don't know why. Finally break in the engine correctly and let it cold start idle for a few minutes until the engine note changes indicating that the oil pressure has reached the top of the motor. You can hear it change to a more quiet note.
OP has a GT350R so I would imagine he is propably aware of the maintenance needs of a Mustang. :) Doing three oil changes in the first 2000 miles is a wee bit excessive in this day and age. I changed mine for the first time at just under 5K. Had the oil analized and it was just fine. Changed the oil on my 15' EB every 5K and at 51K the engine was just fine with just normal wear and virtually no carbon buildup.

The tick went away and has not come back.
The tick doesn't go away it has just lessened to apoint where you cannot hear it.

OP asked about preventing the tick. Again the answer is no.

OP
OP
MandoGt350R

MandoGt350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armando
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

Drunk3nLlama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
It'll be okay man :) I purchased the 5W-50 kit from OPMustang. After I changed my oil I decided to see what I should use for my oil change and saw, I think one recommendation to use 5W-50. I have not seen any negative results, except that I think it takes longer for the oil to reach a higher temperature. I live in the desert though, so I figured that wouldn't be an issue when it is 100+ outside

OP
OP
MandoGt350R

MandoGt350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armando
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
It'll be okay man :) I purchased the 5W-50 kit from OPMustang. After I changed my oil I decided to see what I should use for my oil change and saw, I think one recommendation to use 5W-50. I have not seen any negative results, except that I think it takes longer for the oil to reach a higher temperature. I live in the desert though, so I figured that wouldn't be an issue when it is 100+ outside
I live in East Texas which gets pretty hot too. What weight does it come with?

Sponsored
OP
OP
MandoGt350R

MandoGt350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armando
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t get me wrong. I’m getting the car, I just want to do anything in my power to avoid any issues. That Twister Orange is calling my name out.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, that might be a bit too much. Recommended weight is 5W-20. Some use 5W-30 but that's it.