Sponsored

Engine start/stop

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Did you not see the page from the manual that DevineStrike posted? Go back a page in this thread. Find the picture and read the section called "Stopping the Engine When Your Vehicle is moving."
Yes, I read that page. Step one is to stop the car. Hence the confusion.

-T
Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Alright, who's got a new Ford with push button that's willing to take one for the team?? Would you mind just getting her up to about 60 and then pushing your engine start/stop button for us? That would be swell.
OK, we just tried this with my wife's Focus ST. Driving along, it took a button press of ~ 1 second (just tapping the button did nothing), but the engine does turn off. We still had steering and brakes and were able to pull over safely.

After coming to a stop, setting the parking brake and pushing the button again, the engine restarted, probably because my wife had the clutch pedal depressed.

Did it again, and after stopping the engine, pushed the button again while the car was still rolling with the clutch pedal depressed. The engine restarted and we drove on normally.

So I guess that I read to much into the info from the manual about this, and I believe my comments about an intermediate state to have been incorrect.

We did this wile driving at ~ 25mph on an empty access road. Sorry, wasn't willing to do it at 60mph. lol

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Sweet! I can't believe you really did it! Reminds me of walking home with My friends after school and daring one of the kids to just throw his bad report card in the canal! He did it....and then got a whippin from dad later!

OP
OP

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
OK, we just tried this with my wife's Focus ST. Driving along, it took a button press of ~ 1 second (just tapping the button did nothing), but the engine does turn off. We still had steering and brakes and were able to pull over safely.

After coming to a stop, setting the parking brake and pushing the button again, the engine restarted, probably because my wife had the clutch pedal depressed.

Did it again, and after stopping the engine, pushed the button again while the car was still rolling with the clutch pedal depressed. The engine restarted and we drove on normally.

So I guess that I read to much into the info from the manual about this, and I believe my comments about an intermediate state to have been incorrect.

We did this wile driving at ~ 25mph on an empty access road. Sorry, wasn't willing to do it at 60mph. lol
Ok, good news. Thanks for clearing that up!

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid

Way to take one for the team! :hail:
I wouldn't want to do that at 60 either.

-T

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Way to take one for the team! :hail:
I wouldn't want to do that at 60 either.

-T
Ok, I know this is Walking Dead, bringing this back to life, but to me that is a bit dangerous. You could be going alone late at night in the rain, press the button by mistake and then the engine cuts out, and say you get rear-ended? who's fault would it be?
its rather crazy Ford have done this, will have to look at getting a cover or something, which is a shame as it will hide the cool button

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
Yeah, that's the section I couldn't quite puzzle out in the manual... Like you said, probably just going to have to parse it out once we get the cars.

And I'm in agreement on the last part. While it's nifty and all to not have to take your keys out of your pocket to start the car, I think it's a solution for something that wasn't a problem. I just have too many nightmares of old cars of mine stalling on the highway / in the middle of an intersection / in traffic way too many times for me to be entirely comfortable with there no longer being a physical switch between me and the ignition. Remembering the frantic gas-pedal pumping dance with the ignition of my old Corolla as I desperately tried to get it started on the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge without flooding the engine makes me nervous as to what will happen in a car with an ignition "button" that suddenly fails.

Yup.

Stalled my 2015 twice because the clutch pressure is nonexistent compared to my cable clutch on my 1995 and hydraulic 2005.

I goto instinctually reach for the key to turn it over and it is a fumble fest dicking around with the push button.

The push button requires you to take your eyes ofd the road as well.

I very nearly didnt buy a 2015 simply because of the push button crap. I hate it.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Ok, I know this is Walking Dead, bringing this back to life, but to me that is a bit dangerous. You could be going alone late at night in the rain, press the button by mistake and then the engine cuts out, and say you get rear-ended? who's fault would it be?
its rather crazy Ford have done this, will have to look at getting a cover or something, which is a shame as it will hide the cool button

:lol: just kidding bro!

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible

:lol: just kidding bro!
Only another 12 pages of threads
think TT the Mod pointed me here, have to say this is a much more User Friendly site then the English one, easy to post pics and so much more info, and you lot are pretty cool and very helpful. I have learnt so much from here bought some website stickers and the film for the Pony lights, and also found loads of cool accessories which have been posted on here
so Thanks to you all
:cheers:
Sponsored