Sponsored

Engine shuts down if start/stop button is pushed WHILE DRIVING !!

OP
OP
hemanmech

hemanmech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hemanth
Vehicle(s)
15 Beest Eco/Prem./PP
I have tried this in my manual GT while in a parking lot going slow. It DID shut the engine off. I still had power steering since it's electronic and the electrical system seemed to be still on.
and how did you turn the engine on again, did you stop or used the clutch ??
Sponsored

TheNameAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
well in the automatic, it did not turn back on when i pressed the button in drive mode, had to stop the car put it in park and then push the button to start the car.
This happened to me the other day lol:lol::lol:
I was just cruising in a parking lot, wanted to turn the A/C on but accidentally turned the car off. Had to put it in park in order to start the car again..

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
You guys don't recall a few years back when Toyota had all the issues with run away cars that couldn't be turned off by pushing the button. It was considered a big fubar on Toyota's part that it couldn't be shut off when other manufacturers cars would.

My first car with push button start was my Focus ST and one of the first things I did was check to make sure I could shut it off at speed. I checked the Mustang too, in both cases you need to hold the button for a second or two so a casual bump won't kill the engine.

My wife's Dodge won't shut off by pushing the button if the car is stopped in gear, you get a message in the dash display to put it in park. But it will shut off at speed.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe

I just went out to my car, drove slowly in my parking lot and hit the on/off button and it turned off the engine, everything else was working. I didn't touch the clutch, pressed the start button and she started right up.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If you're that concerned about this practice how to restart the car once it has been turned off in case the situation arises when you don't expect it to.

Honestly this is something that should very rarely happen on accident. Don't randomly poke for buttons without looking or keep items stored by the shifter that could potentially press the button. This really seems like a non-issue to me.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
definitely a non issue, but interesting to finally have real world feedback.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I'm gonna try this with my ST tomorrow :cheers:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I put it in neutral, coasted, stopped ... then started it like normal. I was in an empty parking lot so had time to do all that.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Glad to know about this. A few days ago I was just daydreaming and caught myself almost pushing the start/stop button when I was about to turn off the AC. Lol.

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
So let me get this straight, you pressed the off button and it turned off?

Sponsored

Falconetti

cash me outside howbow da
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 1994 SVT COBRA
well in the automatic, it did not turn back on when i pressed the button in drive mode, had to stop the car put it in park and then push the button to start the car.
I would guess you could have popped it into neutral to avoid stopping.

magnetic5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vadim
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I have done this on accident while driving in a parking lot as well, wanted to turn on the radio and hit the wrong power button. Mine is an auto so had to flip it back to park to restart.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I have done this on accident while driving in a parking lot as well, wanted to turn on the radio and hit the wrong power button. Mine is an auto so had to flip it back to park to restart.
It's pretty stupid you have to turn to park to restart. What's wrong with just restart in gear?

vr4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 cobra
You probably could have just popped it into neutral, lightly pressed the brake pedal, and restarted it no problem.
Sponsored