Sponsored

Engine shuts down if start/stop button is pushed WHILE DRIVING !!

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I also don't quite understand why this is a surprise. You have to be able to turn the engine off, moving or not. Common sense - things happen. Imagine something goes wrong with the electronic throttle.....

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If you're that concerned about this practice how to restart the car once it has been turned off in case the situation arises when you don't expect it to.

Honestly this is something that should very rarely happen on accident. Don't randomly poke for buttons without looking or keep items stored by the shifter
that could potentially press the button. This really seems like a non-issue to me.
If your car happens to hit a bump as you're reaching for a switch or whatever that happens to be located near the PTS button, accidentally shutting off the engine
becomes a distinct possibility and a forseeable risk no matter how much attention you may be diverting to the task.

At some level the OE's didn't think this one through very well at all.

What these PTS buttons all need is a flip-up hood that physically prevents inadvertent pushing without making intentional shutdowns unreasonably difficult. Like the
ignition switch on a race car. Something like this ↓↓↓ except with the 'Engine Start' button located where the toggle switch is, and with a wider hood to cover the entire
button.
Hell, even a hood that didn't flip up would be better than what they've done as long as there's enough room to get a finger in there to push the button.

what really scares me is the possibility that somewhere, somebody is already thinking about making PTS a touchscreen function.

Norm

Mike A.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
Not too long after getting my GT I accidentally shut the engine off at about 70mph in traffic on the highway. I was reaching for the seat cooler button and hit the start button. I didn't hold it down....caught me off guard but no bid deal...into neutral and start it back up..

Sponsored

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
^The way this engine is designed you get moderate engine break when it shuts off but nothing anyone but the driver will really notice. The passengers just think you pulled your foot off the gas.

I had an older car that shut off on me and locked my drive wheels up.

OP
OP
hemanmech

hemanmech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hemanth
Vehicle(s)
15 Beest Eco/Prem./PP
If your car happens to hit a bump as you're reaching for a switch or whatever that happens to be located near the PTS button, accidentally shutting off the engine
becomes a distinct possibility and a forseeable risk no matter how much attention you may be diverting to the task.

At some level the OE's didn't think this one through very well at all.

What these PTS buttons all need is a flip-up hood that physically prevents inadvertent pushing without making intentional shutdowns unreasonably difficult. Like the
ignition switch on a race car. Something like this ↓↓↓ except with the 'Engine Start' button located where the toggle switch is, and with a wider hood to cover the entire
button.
Hell, even a hood that didn't flip up would be better than what they've done as long as there's enough room to get a finger in there to push the button.

what really scares me is the possibility that somewhere, somebody is already thinking about making PTS a touchscreen function.

Norm
Would look kinda cool as well if we have those flip up covers over the push buttons. like you would see in movies when the launch the rockets or something.:ninja:
moreover we have some designers here who have already been producing those push button designer stickers may be someday we would get these flip up covers as well... useful and looks cool as well !!

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Would look kinda cool as well if we have those flip up covers over the push buttons. like you would see in movies when the launch the rockets or something.:ninja:
moreover we have some designers here who have already been producing those push button designer stickers may be someday we would get these flip up covers as well... useful and looks cool as well !!
Someone on here already does that. They make a flip up plastic cap/cover that goes over the start button. It's on a little hinge to flip up. I was thinking of getting one (I think they were less than $20). You just double-sided tape the frame of it around your start button and you're done. I believe it comes in a few different styles/colors as well. I'll have to see if I can find them again unless someone else knows and can post it...

EDIT: Ah, here we go... http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29692&highlight=start+button+cover

EDIT 2: To save you some searching in the above thread, here is a link to the guy's actual sellers page. PTS covers are at the bottom: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/s550parts

Last edited:

GhostRider8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I think for safety reasons it needs to shut off if you hit the button. Once in my 08 GT my floor mat got stuck on top of gas pedal and I had to shut the car down I was going close to 55 by the time I got it shut down.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
at least its not as bad as that GM ignition key fiasco

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Having stalled my car a few times (mine's a manual), here's what I find bizarre:

The message on the driver information system screen says to Hold the clutch and you get an okay button. I would assume that the computer would initiate a restart at that point? But it doesn't :frusty:

You have to actually press the start button with the clutch in (which is what I'd naturally do anyways) So why is the computer telling me to hold the clutch in and acknowledge the message? Of course, if I do what any stick shift driver would have done anyways (and completely ignore messages from the computer), I get the vehicle safely started :cool:

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Accessory position?

Anyone know how to duplicate the accessory position of the key with a vehicle with a keyed iginition?

Here in Oregon, we still have pump attendants. I can turn the radio on with the radio power button, but from what I've seen, the only way to activate the power windows is to actually press the start button and start the vehicle (not kosher if the car is connected to a gas pump!). I'd like to know if there's a way to roll the window down without starting the car to communicate with the pump attendant (other than rolling the window down before you turn the car off or opening the door).

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
Question: if a stick-shift car is turned off while moving, will it come back (i.e., get started) on its own for the same reason as roll-starting a manual car?

I actually don't know how to roll start a manual car with PTS, if I think about it. Never owned a car with PTS.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Question: if a stick-shift car is turned off while moving, will it come back (i.e., get started) on its own for the same reason as roll-starting a manual car?

I actually don't know how to roll start a manual car with PTS, if I think about it. Never owned a car with PTS.
Haven't tried it yet...but once again, no ignition key. So you can't turn the ignition to run without hitting the "start" button...so a traditional bump start (from a low battery or faulty starter) is out of the question. I'll have to experiment with it and find out if you can pop the clutch with the car still rolling after a stall and see if it restarts ;) So far, though, every time I've killed the car is because automatic drivers ahead of me are starting really slow, and the 750 RPM idle setting of the Ecoboost is really too low. Almost every other computer controlled stick I've owned idles at 1,000 RPM...
Sponsored