Sponsored

Engine note change/drone when in 6th gear

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Manual trans: drone went away after retightening H-Pipe and sound hose/tube delete.
Sponsored

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Again, there's no "basically" to this.

5th is 1:1 (not overdrive)
6th is 0.63 (quite an overdrive)
Ok, got me an a technicality... But in 5th gear at 40mph, it feels like an overdrive gear.

JDM_WAAAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 HP 6MT EGM, 2016 Focus ST
Ok, got me an a technicality... But in 5th gear at 40mph, it feels like an overdrive gear.
No, it doesn't. moderate acceleration from 40 in 5th in no way feels like an overdrive.

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No, it doesn't. moderate acceleration from 40 in 5th in no way feels like an overdrive.
lol. Ok. Let's forget I used the word "overdrive" to describe 5th gear. 5th gear around 40mph for me sits around or below 1600 rpm. A moderate acceleration would definitely feel like i was in the "wrong" gear.

JDM_WAAAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 HP 6MT EGM, 2016 Focus ST
lol. Ok. Let's forget I used the word "overdrive" to describe 5th gear. 5th gear around 40mph for me sits around or below 1600 rpm. A moderate acceleration would definitely feel like i was in the "wrong" gear.
That's definitely how transmissions work!

Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
But you best described the sound, it is like a low pitched diesel drum/hum that gets worse trying to unsuccessfully accelerate lol.
This is exactly how I would describe it, having been intimate with a variety of VW diesel engines in the past. Too low RPM and an attempt to accelerate basically stalled the engine and produced deep droning sound. The shape of the car's cabin adds to that.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
6th gear at 1500 rpm and only 200 miles on the clock ?

I understood that was a big no no for ‘running in’ ?

WD :like:

OP
OP

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
6th gear at 1500 rpm and only 200 miles on the clock ?

I understood that was a big no no for ‘running in’ ?

If it is please explain to me why? I have read the manual but to be honest its vast and not very specific when it comes to details like this. Just says to vary the RPMs. Ive been driving like a madman and have bounced off the limiter more times than id like to admit.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
If it is please explain to me why? I have read the manual but to be honest its vast and not very specific when it comes to details like this. Just says to vary the RPMs. Ive been driving like a madman and have bounced off the limiter more times than id like to admit.
The UK manual has this statement on the end of that section "Do not labor the engine" which to me seemed to fit what you were doing to get that noise in the first place.

I know there's lots of opinions on running in (and lots of threads about it on here lol) but that piece of advice seems to be fairly consistent across most opinions.

This article seems to frequently get linked :

https://www.mullenixracingengines.com/how-to-break-in-your-engine

So on the other hand, the 'madman' bit seems to fit it quite well :giggle: :sunglasses: Just be wary of continued use of the limiter (rumoured to contribute to oil pump gear failure) :like:

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
There is no "seems like". 6th is a huge overdrive. You can use 6th gear at 40 mph if you want, so long as you use it correctly. It's not for acceleration unless you're going 60-65+, but even then you should probably downshift to 5th. Doing so sounds better anyway.

1660000726169.png
I couldn't accelerate from 40mph in 6th even if I wanted to lol. I downshift for 90% of my acceleration... It's more fun anyway. Just like shifting into 6th even if you don't really need to. We got manuals for a reason.
Sponsored