Sponsored

Engine Light - 8,000 Miles

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
UPDATE: They extended my rental for two weeks. During my last contact with them last week where they extended the rental for 7 days, the service coordinator (who’s been incredibly helpful, the girl deserves employee of the month) informed me that the techs told her it would be done within the week. One week passed and nothing. She updated me and told me she extended the rental for two weeks. She apologized and informed me she really doesn’t have any technical updates.

I have contacted Ford and now have a Regional Customer Service Manager looking into my request for a buy-back and reimbursement of my last month’s payment (thanks to Cobra’s feedback!). They told me to expect a call Monday on a follow-up on my case. Today is 37 days the Mustang GT has been at their service center. I still think they have no idea what’s going on with the vehicle OR they’ve attempted a fix and it didn’t work.
At least you’re in progression now ... hopefully they will do the right thing. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1 (Rapid Red)
UPDATE: Vehicle has been at the service center for 45 days. On 04/08/20 they informed they had ordered another part, which was a crankshaft pully. They said that once they have that the vehicle would be ready. As this is going on, Ford Regional Customer Service Representative reports they will have a determination on the buy-back by Thursday. So I'm hoping they just approve me at this point and let me swap the vehicle as I am lacking confidence in the one I have. They've ordered three parts for it since I gave it to them. It always seems to be something different...

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
UPDATE: Vehicle has been at the service center for 45 days. On 04/08/20 they informed they had ordered another part, which was a crankshaft pully. They said that once they have that the vehicle would be ready. As this is going on, Ford Regional Customer Service Representative reports they will have a determination on the buy-back by Thursday. So I'm hoping they just approve me at this point and let me swap the vehicle as I am lacking confidence in the one I have. They've ordered three parts for it since I gave it to them. It always seems to be something different...
Not to deny the suckiness of your experience, but it's worth considering that internal engine repairs are pretty rare, especially for the Coyote. It doesn't surprise me that the timeline has been so long because tearing down a working engine to find a noise is very difficult, even for a reasonably experienced tech. Add in parts delays due to the virus wreaking havoc on everything, and a 45 day timeline doesn't seem all that unrealistic to me. If I were you, I would wait and see the condition of the vehicle when it's returned to you. If it's not fixed to your satisfaction, then try and go through the buyback procedure. I suspect they will initially deny you due to "outside circumstances" inflating the repair time if you don't at least take delivery of the first attempt at repair.

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
Not to deny the suckiness of your experience, but it's worth considering that internal engine repairs are pretty rare, especially for the Coyote. It doesn't surprise me that the timeline has been so long because tearing down a working engine to find a noise is very difficult, even for a reasonably experienced tech. Add in parts delays due to the virus wreaking havoc on everything, and a 45 day timeline doesn't seem all that unrealistic to me. If I were you, I would wait and see the condition of the vehicle when it's returned to you. If it's not fixed to your satisfaction, then try and go through the buyback procedure. I suspect they will initially deny you due to "outside circumstances" inflating the repair time if you don't at least take delivery of the first attempt at repair.
I understand where you're coming from. I've been very patient with them. As I have stated I appreciate them providing the rental and my service associate, she has been absolutely awesome. But I just have not been confident in this vehicle's reliability since after my first oil change at 4,000 miles. There's been too many noises and issues for a brand-new vehicle in my opinion. This is just the RPM issue and knocking issue. They aren't 100% sure if this fixes the accelerator cranking noise too. Also, the cabin clinking noise still has not been identified. I started the buy-back process because that alone takes so long to go through. I'm willing to see how the vehicle turns out, but I'm just not confident with it at this point. I have a gut feeling they will deny the buy-back for the reasons you stated.

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Day 48. Two awesome events happened silmultaneously. Firstly, the dealership informed me that they finished the work on my vehicle. I will be picking it up tomorrow. Secondly, Ford has approved my Buy Back request! When RAV contacts me I will be requesting a replacement vehicle and go from there. I'll be updating everything on Cobra's Lemon Law forum from now on. Thank you everyone!

Sponsored

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Was the concerning noise gone when you picked it up? Everything seem to be working as intended?

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
Was the concerning noise gone when you picked it up? Everything seem to be working as intended?
I will be picking it up tomorrow so I won’t know for sure until then.

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Vehicle was picked up. She actually sounds and runs great. But due to the uncertainty with the vehicle, I’m still opting for the Buy Back. They ordered gaskets for the intake manifold and the water pump (what the hell?). They ordered and installed camshift phasers, a crankshaft pulley, engine solenoids, bolts, and some retainers. As I said, she sounds great, but after all of this I’m definitely going for Buy Back.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
UPDATE: Vehicle was picked up. She actually sounds and runs great. But due to the uncertainty with the vehicle, I’m still opting for the Buy Back. They ordered gaskets for the intake manifold and the water pump (what the hell?). They ordered and installed camshift phasers, a crankshaft pulley, engine solenoids, bolts, and some retainers. As I said, she sounds great, but after all of this I’m definitely going for Buy Back.
Water pump gasket isn't super odd, I'm sure it came off during the diagnostic process. With that said good luck with your buyback.

OP
OP
damships

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
Outcome: Buyback was approved. I signed the surrender packet and drove off with my new vehicle. 2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1. Loving the new vehicle so far and I hope it stays this way. :like:
Sponsored