Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Fun fact...if you to go google images search and type in "middle finger gif" then copy and paste in here it will display our reaction to the * vs ° :like:
Jesus Christ, I post a light-hearted and helpful comment and you tell me to go F myself?! Did your dog just die?? You anger management dude
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Jesus Christ, I post a light-hearted and helpful comment and you tell me to go F myself?! Did your dog just die?? You anger management dude
It was more meant of a joke, but I guess it didn't come through the reply.

OP
OP
MinDseTz

MinDseTz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
CHT is about 10-12* higher than ECT, which is why I mentioned ~270* that it goes into the final protective mode.
'
EOT will always be higher than CHT on track where it can't be regulated by the coolant.
I'm dumb. I mixed up the alphabet soup

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds more like a sensor or a less than positive connection issue somewhere.
Yeah, I'm trying to think of all the reasons why the temperatures would spike so high from a hard braking. When my car is assembled, I can brake close to 2G's, and my temps don't budge even with the brakes glowing orange. If you're nearing 260 with regularity, time to start working on cooling mods and fixing whatever additional issues you've got. Things like water and water wetter instead of anti-freeze, aluminum/bigger radiator, and if you're honestly running it that hot, you're going to need to change that oil out.

Sponsored

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
no, I can't remember the exact message but it was obvious that it was the cylinder head overheating. I went into limp mode, slowed down significantly, and went back to the pits. After letting it cool down I went back to the track and if I got above ~250 I started short shifting until I got down to ~235. It wasn't a fun game and stressful to drive, hit the apex, braking points etc while keeping one eye on my digital gauge.
Ok, I need to make a correction. I did a HPDE at COTA today and it was mid to upper 90's. I got a warning about coolant temp when CHT hit 270* (most sessions). I would immediately let off and short shift and I would cool down to 255-260 in a few turns. Coolant gauge needle was virtually on the hot line and would jump down to ~75% as soon as CHT was 255-260. I never went into limp mode though. The moral of the story is that I have some more cooling work to do on my car.....

OP
OP
MinDseTz

MinDseTz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Ok, I need to make a correction. I did a HPDE at COTA today and it was mid to upper 90's. I got a warning about coolant temp when CHT hit 270* (most sessions). I would immediately let off and short shift and I would cool down to 255-260 in a few turns. Coolant gauge needle was virtually on the hot line and would jump down to ~75% as soon as CHT was 255-260. I never went into limp mode though. The moral of the story is that I have some more cooling work to do on my car.....
THIS is exactly what I was talking about (the temp jump). I think limp mode kicks in at 300 but I'm pretty sure there are different levels of "limp." Also, you can see a different DTC code for over-temp conditions and over-temp with reduced power.

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
THIS is exactly what I was talking about (the temp jump). I think limp mode kicks in at 300 but I'm pretty sure there are different levels of "limp." Also, you can see a different DTC code for over-temp conditions and over-temp with reduced power.
It is almost like there is a second pump that increases flow when it gets to 270. I mean I know that there's not but it did cool down quickly.
I wonder if I missed the initial warning on my previous track time a few months ago and I went from the 270* coolant overheat warning to whatever the limp mode temp quickly.
Sponsored