Sponsored

Engine coolant help

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I asked vmp and they told me distilled and coolant from ford for the blower.
I plan on also using the amsoil coolant booster it shouldn’t harm anything.
I wouldn't mind trying this stuff, myself.
Sponsored

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
VC3B!

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Motorcraft premixed 50/50, bottle of RP Purple Ice, 170* thermostat, Mishimoto radiator, TrackSpec hood louvers.

Temps stay very reasonable, even after hot lapping 1/2 mile runs.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Is same good for my whipple intercooler?

Also add water wetter? How about any of the liquid ice stuff?
Distilled water and an additive like water wetter or liquid ice, or similar is the best for cooling motor, but will freeze in winter if you go below 32 deg.

Since you are Florida, probably not an issue.

If you want some protection from freeze dilute with anti-freeze, probably a decent one like from Ford

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I only use Motorcraft Orange. It is different than Motorcraft Gold and Dexcool, I would not mix them.

Only use pre-mixed or distilled water. Tap water has minerals in it that is not good for the cooling system.

Some like water-wetter, etc but lots talk against it too. Overall, I just don't think its necessary. At least not for a street car.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Distilled water and an additive like water wetter or liquid ice, or similar is the best for cooling motor, but will freeze in winter if you go below 32 deg.

Since you are Florida, probably not an issue.

If you want some protection from freeze dilute with anti-freeze, probably a decent one like from Ford
That sounds like track use.

Without coolant, system operating pressure will be roughly double by 235F. So although water has higher specific heat density, be aware any loose connections not up to the higher pressure.

Coolant has some anticorrosion advantages and the motorcraft is known good with stock headed gasket metallurgy. This possibly could be achieved with just 5% coolant though and some water wetters may sequester free ions as well.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I only use Motorcraft Orange. It is different than Motorcraft Gold and Dexcool, I would not mix them.

Only use pre-mixed or distilled water. Tap water has minerals in it that is not good for the cooling system.

Some like water-wetter, etc but lots talk against it too. Overall, I just don't think its necessary. At least not for a street car.
Getting ready to do an intake manifold install. Are you positive that the Zerex Dexcool is different than the Motorcraft Orange? I've searched threads here - can't find a definitive answer. Reason I ask? Zerex lists the following on the DexCool :
Coolant.JPG

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Motorcraft premix stuff is $12/gal. Just buy the Motorcraft and don't worry about mixing brands.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Motorcraft premix stuff is $12/gal. Just buy the Motorcraft and don't worry about mixing brands.
I'm not worried. I'm not mixing. I'm just pointing out that Motorcraft Orange is Dex Cool standard per Zerex.

Sponsored

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Roush uses Orange in their intercooler.
Engine is Red.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
That sounds like track use.

Without coolant, system operating pressure will be roughly double by 235F. So although water has higher specific heat density, be aware any loose connections not up to the higher pressure.

Coolant has some anticorrosion advantages and the motorcraft is known good with stock headed gasket metallurgy. This possibly could be achieved with just 5% coolant though and some water wetters may sequester free ions as well.
Update: I had corrosion issues with some of the heater core connections (twice) and it was likely due to pushing past 60% water. Granted, my first motor was heavily abused. I think Ford now specs the Mustang as max 40/60 (40 water/ 60 coolant). With recommended either exact 50/50 or 46/54. Someone go dig up current manual or current Helms notes.

Edit: I replaced my water pump that was seeping at 10k miles.

There is another thread where someone else has had corrosion and oring blow by at the heater fittings. There will probably be a couple more of us. This is likely due to higher pressure from running higher water ratio, and some corrosion on the fittings.

Last edited:

isedawishy

GTPPTT6REIGHTY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I would not recommend using water wetter. Pretty sure that was the root cause of my water pump seeping with only 3k miles *♂
Sponsored