Sponsored

Engine coolant help

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
I'm putting my freshly sleeved motor in car. I want the best protection/ options. I hear only use motor craft from dealer also hear dexcool orange is fine.

Ive been told use water wetter, also been told don't use distilled water. What's the verdict guys? What are you using on supercharged setups to keep things cool?
Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I've been using a 50/50 mix in radiator and 50/50 mix in intercooler. VelossaTech big mouth, 170* thermostat, grille area honeycombs drilled out, hood vent areas cut out much larger than stock with Scott Drake vents, removed rear rubber strip in the hood, removed hood liner, and removed fog lights and replaced with bezels and hoses aimed at the engine for better air circulation. My CHT's never go over or hit 200*, and oil temp is never high, ever. Just as a "fun" winter project, I installed a fan on my heat exchanger. I thought about trying that Lucas Super Coolant as well. You could probably easily get away with more water than a 50/50 mix than up here in Pa which would probably help even more. I just like messing with stuff to see what results I can get.

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been using a 50/50 mix in radiator and 50/50 mix in intercooler. VelossaTech big mouth, 170* thermostat, grille area honeycombs drilled out, hood vent areas cut out much larger than stock with Scott Drake vents, removed rear rubber strip in the hood, removed hood liner, and removed fog lights and replaced with bezels and hoses aimed at the engine for better air circulation. My CHT's never go over or hit 200*, and oil temp is never high, ever. Just as a "fun" winter project, I installed a fan on my heat exchanger. I thought about trying that Lucas Super Coolant as well. You could probably easily get away with more water than a 50/50 mix than up here in Pa which would probably help even more. I just like messing with stuff to see what results I can get.
50/50 dex cool or motorcraft?

Can i mix motorcraft and dexcool?

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
50/50 dex cool or motorcraft?

Can i mix motorcraft and dexcool?
I use the Motorcraft for the engine, I'm guessing it's Motorcraft for the supercharger. Never mixed them myself, but since you get way hotter and much more humid than up here in Pa, you could easily get away with more water and help it cool better.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Never mix dexcool with any other coolant,NEVER!!.I would use the motorcraft with what Ford recommends for mixture and run water wetter and a 170 tstat.

Sponsored

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Not sure who told you not to use distilled water but that’s false. Using tap water can cause damage due to minerals and deposits in it.

I did 50/50 for my car using ford coolant.

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure who told you not to use distilled water but that’s false. Using tap water can cause damage due to minerals and deposits in it.

I did 50/50 for my car using ford coolant.
Is same good for my whipple intercooler?

Also add water wetter? How about any of the liquid ice stuff?

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Is same good for my whipple intercooler?

Also add water wetter? How about any of the liquid ice stuff?
I asked vmp and they told me distilled and coolant from ford for the blower.
I plan on also using the amsoil coolant booster it shouldn’t harm anything.

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Doodguy, another question since I'm installing a new shortblock too. How do you plan to prime the new engine? Or are you just relying on assembly lube until the pump picks up oil and starts flowing?

Also, other than dealer where are you guys ordering the coolant from?

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doodguy, another question since I'm installing a new shortblock too. How do you plan to prime the new engine? Or are you just relying on assembly lube until the pump picks up oil and starts flowing?

Relying on assembly lube. Supposedly it picks up pretty quick so not huge issue per my builder.

Sponsored

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Last edited:

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
When I put my motor in, I primed it by removing the oil pressure sending unit, and using a pressurized fill tank with oil in it. Filled it till I saw oil on the cams. I would reccomend it.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Tommy, I thought dexcool is the same as the ford coolant? It lists the same spec. No? WSS-M97B44-D/D2

Also... http://www.oemantifreeze.com/oem-orange/
The guy we buy are coolant from in bulk for our shop told us not too mix the 2.I never mix any different coolants because I have seen them turn to sludge personally.I would not try it imo,also for oil priming u.can fill your oil filter before u put it on to help.

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack

When I put my motor in, I primed it by removing the oil pressure sending unit, and using a pressurized fill tank with oil in it. Filled it till I saw oil on the cams. I would reccomend it.
This is what I did. Picked up a cheap harbor freight sprayer and used it to prime the engine through the oil sensor hole. I primed it with about two quarts I believe. Also, I switched all my coolant over to Peak Global stuff.
Sponsored