Sponsored

Engine Break-In

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hey guys,

As the time comes closer for me to pick up my GT350, I'm starting to think about how I should break her in since this will be my first hand-built/forged piston motor. What are your opinions/experience with breaking in these motors? I've heard some say that its best to break them in relatively hard.

FYI, I do plan to change the oil out after I hit my first 1,000 miles.

Any & all opinions are welcome!
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Always warm it up thoroughly and drive it like it's meant to be, just no long spells of WOT at first. :thumbsup:

Rainier42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Performance Blue GT350R
I changed my oil at 500 miles and then again at 1500 miles; change trans fluid at 1500 miles.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This has been discussed repeatedly. As always, consult your manual to understand how Ford will react re warranty. However, someone posted this link which I found very informative. Good luck. :thumbsup:

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This is my plan. Used to race motocross bikes and we tried all sorts of different break-in methods. The "run-it-like-it's-meant-to-be-run" method always produced the best results for me. I remember some four-stroke bikes I used to be able to start with my hand they ran so well. Ahh, the good ol' days of reckless youth and broken bones.

SchultzLT1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG Tech Pack
Change the oil every 13.6 miles for the first 32,000 miles. Never exceed 1000RPM.

No really, just drive it, it'll be fine. You don't need a special break in routine. Just always make sure th engine is warmed up, but that's universal. Also, this may throw some people up in arms but....the oil will last more than 1000 miles.

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
It is not necessary to change the oil or filter until the recommended 3,000 miles or one year of filter age. The only reason to change the filter is if the filter is clogged to the point that it impedes flow or the filter media itself is going to break down from age and exposure to the fluid. The filter at 1,000 miles is going to work to clear debris from the oil as well as it will work at 3,000 miles. Tracking the car might break down the oil faster but without tracking a new engine can go without this 500 or 1,000 mile change. That is an old idea left over from the days when oil and filters were less technologically advanced, and even then it was probably overkill. Filters that contain locktite and shavings are doing their job and will continue to do their job all the way to 3,000 miles.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It is not necessary to change the oil or filter until the recommended 3,000 miles or one year of filter age. The only reason to change the filter is if the filter is clogged to the point that it impedes flow or the filter media itself is going to break down from age and exposure to the fluid. The filter at 1,000 miles is going to work to clear debris from the oil as well as it will work at 3,000 miles. Tracking the car might break down the oil faster but without tracking a new engine can go without this 500 or 1,000 mile change. That is an old idea left over from the days when oil and filters were less technologically advanced, and even then it was probably overkill. Filters that contain locktite and shavings are doing their job and will continue to do their job all the way to 3,000 miles.
Most GT350 buyers are not looking to do the least possible maintenance, especially to the engine. I know I want my engine in the best condition it can be and to last as long as possible. I changed the oil at 1,000 miles during initial break in.

I also change the air filter more frequently than Ford recommends. :p

Sponsored

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Here is my take:
Some good advice on the run it like you stole it, but some of this advice
is focused on bikes that turn 15K rpm's, so not exactly same as our motors.

I am at 31 miles, just got her last night. Just ran to the gas station to fill
her up, and ran her up to 5000 a few times after full warm up.
Tomorrow morning I will run her up redline a few times after full
warm up to seat everything. No sustained high rpm.

No freeway driving for as long as possible, I believe around town, stop and
go, run through the gears, no heavy traffic jams, is best to mesh all
the parts. I know that they say freeway is ok, just keep switching gears,
but I think a few hundred around town will be best.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Drove it off the lot with like 6 miles or whatever. Drove normally, no different than I normally would all week. Went to autocross at 200 miles. Ran her like a cheap whore. Changed oil a few hundred miles before 3000. Put an oil catch can on at 3700 right before a long long autocross weekend (15 runs total, nationals style courses) and the Road America the weekend after that. I checked my can mid week after Road America and collected maybe a tablespoon of oil.
Sponsored