Engine blew up

navair133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang Eco/PP; 2003 Porsche Boxster
2015 with engine built in Spain. Livernois tune. Engine blew at 65,000 miles. Number one piston cracked wide open. New short block installed.

I do not think the engine failures are all related to tuning. Some might but I think it is safe to say that the early Spanish built engines were no bueno.
Sponsored

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Out of curiosity, how many Spanish engines have blown that were running E30/E85/Meth?
Are all the blown engines from 91/93 octane tunes?

Sometimes I wonder if I should just get the Pro Cal tune and call it day while I put money aside for an R/T Scat Pack in a couple years. These turbo engines seem pretty finicky.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
He posted that he went 10:73Et 127MPH with over 24,000 miles on stock motor.
That's impressive. It was using E85 and the Vargas Stage 2 Turbo so that explains some of it and he even said that was pushing it. it was the last time he was racing it with that engine in it. My bet is he had Jon push it to the limit and wasn't quite as concerned if it blew since he had the replacement. It still is quite a testimonial though.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
That's impressive. It was using E85 and the Vargas Stage 2 Turbo so that explains some of it and he even said that was pushing it. it was the last time he was racing it with that engine in it. My bet is he had Jon push it to the limit and wasn't quite as concerned if it blew since he had the replacement. It still is quite a testimonial though.
I agree 100% it is amazing what perfweld has accomplished with a stock motor.The secret is do not modify your ecoboost and try to race with pump gas and expect your motor to last.Plan on running race gas or set your ecoboost to run E85 if you plan on modding and you will be glad you did.JMO

Sponsored

mSTANG_1

No Limit
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
How can I find out where the engine to my EcoBoost was built?

DontoMelbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future EB Vert
How can I find out where the engine to my EcoBoost was built?
there's a thread somewhere that tells you how/where to take a pix with your phone under the engine cover piece. Hopefully someone can post the info for you.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
out of curiosity, how many people have had this issue with the 6R80 trans? Seems like there might be some truth to this LSPI thought as most of the engine issues seem to be with a manual trans and a tune.

Sponsored

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
out of curiosity, how many people have had this issue with the 6R80 trans? Seems like there might be some truth to this LSPI thought as most of the engine issues seem to be with a manual trans and a tune.
More engine abuse with a manual trans

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
There is zero physical evidence of part differences between Spanish and Cleveland engines built in 2014-2016. We have been over this a thousand times so if you have some evidence showing a difference post it. The strongest argument I have heard regarding the early 2014 motors was inconsistent rod bolt torque numbers suggesting that the torque application was faulty.

TunaFish15

2017 SRT Challenger owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.4L Mustang Eater
...while I put money aside for an R/T Scat Pack in a couple years. These turbo engines seem pretty finicky.
I'm with you on this, just drove a 2015 SRT 6.4L Challenger and fell in love. The engine and interior on them Dodges are light years ahead of my 2015 mustang. Already planning the day to trade this one thing in when I pay it off next year.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I'm with you on this, just drove a 2015 SRT 6.4L Challenger and fell in love. The engine and interior on them Dodges are light years ahead of my 2015 mustang. Already planning the day to trade this one thing in when I pay it off next year.
For the price of a SRT 6.4l Dodge Challenger it should be light years ahead.LOL

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I've only driven a 2016 R/T Plus and I loved it. Everything about it just ticked all the right boxes for me. Loved it.

I already own the EB and it'll be paid off in a year or less. I don't know if I want to have another car payment. It'll cost less to go built block and big turbo, anyway. I think, lol.
Sponsored