Sponsored

End of production of Shelby GT350/R after 2020. Will resale price climb?

Carpenater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP #LR087, 1999 SVT Lightning #3830
So do you think the prices of GT350s will climb since production has ended?
Realistically speaking it is too early to tell. Personally I would think first year production base model R's will continue to climb and then HEP R's will also climb as well.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Realistically speaking it is too early to tell. Personally I would think first year production base model R's will continue to climb and then HEP R's will also climb as well.
Interesting. Yes I agree that '15 MY GT350s will always be collectable. They were extremely limited and in that case, rare. The rest of the 350s Im not so sure about. Time will tell.

May I ask do you plan to keep your '20 for the long haul? I enjoy mine so much that I have no intention of selling. They are a very unique experience.

Carpenater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP #LR087, 1999 SVT Lightning #3830
Interesting. Yes I agree that '15 MY GT350s will always be collectable. They were extremely limited and in that case, rare. The rest of the 350s Im not so sure about. Time will tell.

May I ask do you plan to keep your '20 for the long haul? I enjoy mine so much that I have no intention of selling. They are a very unique experience.
That is the plan for now. Definitely like the driving style of the GT350R's and the looks of the HEP. When they initially released production photos I pretty much knew I had to get one. Glad I was able to locate and obtain one.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That is the plan for now. Definitely like the driving style of the GT350R's and the looks of the HEP. When they initially released production photos I pretty much knew I had to get one. Glad I was able to locate and obtain one.
Yes, good score. My 18 is coming up on end of bumper to bumper in not too long. I'll extend the warranty as far out as I can. The HEP is a fine tribute to the heritage of the 350. It was a nice way to send the car out. I did consider one, but it came down to trade value and ADMs. I think the one that I was pointed at, the guy wanted a 20K ADM. That was enough for me. Not to turn this into an ADM thread, but those markups never seem to be recovered if you wind up selling. Back to the subject of this thread, the value of the car may or may not go up, but the ADM paid is money that is lost. The way I rationalize an ADM is how long to I plan to keep the car? If for instance I paid a 5k ADM, how much is that costing me per year? Like most, a small number like that can be absorbed, especially over time. Take a number like 20 or 30K, and that starts to change the perspective unless of course you have money to burn.

Tie it all back to the spirit of the thread title, will resale prices go up? They may, but it will be a very difficult proposition to recover a large ADM if the situation ever warrants selling down the road.

You are like me in that any ADM paid really doesn't matter, because I never intend to sell the Rs. They are that special.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The next 18 months will be noisy on valuations but will likely have a very slight up-trend or a less steep down-trend. Once MY23 gets decent press and rumors of another GT350 production run start, values will resume their natural decay. I very much doubt a FPC will ever make another appearance - 5.2CPC with electric assist would be my guess.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Having owned a 17 GT350 and a 19 GT350R and now a 2020 GT305R there is a clear difference in the tramlining between the pre 20 models and the 20 models. The tramline is nonexistent in my 20R compared to my 17 and 19R. When I first bought my 17 GT350, which was my first GT350, I thought something was wrong with the car, like low tire pressure, when I drove it home from the dealer. It pulled me into every groove hard. In my 20R it is just like driving a normal car. Some may not appreciate that feel as some prefer the race car pull of the tramline. Me personally, not so much.
@Carpenater, I think we’ll all appreciate the changes Ford put into the 2020R. It makes the car much more livable on the road and likely that much more fun on the track.
I’ll give a report after I get it on a couple of track sessions, I can’t tell you that with some spirited driving yesterday that the front-end felt planted with plenty of communication. I’m excited to get to VIR, Charlotte and possibly Roebling.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The next 18 months will be noisy on valuations but will likely have a very slight up-trend or a less steep down-trend. Once MY23 gets decent press and rumors of another GT350 production run start, values will resume their natural decay. I very much doubt a FPC will ever make another appearance - 5.2CPC with electric assist would be my guess.
IF it gets electric assist, that's good news for people holding on to these things ;)....meaning, it's likely not to see electric assist AND maintain a manual transmission.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
I really dig the 350. I'll keep them for the foreseeable future because they are unique and a joy to drive. In the hands of a good driver, you will hang with the best of them. A friend witnessed a fellow member here at Daytona hands down beat the snot out of a GT500CFTP at Daytona. My best times have run in the 2:04 and 2:05 range, whereas a decent 500 driver was running 2:08ish. That is how special the R is. It is a car that will be looked back on as special.
This isn't the 350R you're referring too is it? It looks like he would catch up with the CFTP braking off the end of the bank, but the 500 would pull away on any straightaway. Cool video though and would love to watch that other R driver you're talking about.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
This isn't the 350R you're referring too is it? It looks like he would catch up with the CFTP braking off the end of the bank, but the 500 would pull away on any straightaway.
Thanks for finding & sharing the video... I enjoyed it.
From a non track-rat perspective, I would think the 350R driver was just more of a skilled track guy.
Just my thoughts.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
This isn't the 350R you're referring too is it? It looks like he would catch up with the CFTP braking off the end of the bank, but the 500 would pull away on any straightaway. Cool video though and would love to watch that other R driver you're talking about.

I don't know if it was or wasn't, but here is my takeaway from what I just saw......
There were many times the GT350R had to let off the throttle because of the CFTP in front of him. In any situation that the R was able to obtain an advantage over the CFTP, the 500 was able to power out of it and pull away. The CFTP braked early, drove the wrong line, and relied on a difference in HP to stay ahead of the R.

The R was able to keep the CFTP in his sights during that entire session. So many times the R was able to get around the CFTP, especially after turn 2 entering turn 3, but you can't pass without a point by or a signal. It must have been very frustrating for the R.

It was clear to me that if the driver of the CFTP was as skilled as the driver of the R, the result would have been much much different. The CFTP did not drive the correct line. A boat load of time was lost on both the front stretch entering turn 1 as well as the backstretch entering the bus stop.

Anyway, to answer the question, was that the rivalry that I had heard of? I don't know. But it certainly was enjoyable to watch an R stay (for the most part) right on the ass of the CFTP.

Sponsored

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
Damn that R was getting it. I’ve never seen 8 grand in 5th gear

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Damn that R was getting it. I’ve never seen 8 grand in 5th gear
Imagine a 2:05......

That CFTP was holding him up. The CFTP would have been courteous to have let the R by on the infield and then have at it on the outside course.

Anyway, back to the values of the 350/R post 2020...... what are your thoughts?

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
I'm not a gambler and I don't think cars are investments but one can limit downside.

I am with you..... It is also my opinion that this is the last we will see of an unassisted/naturally aspirated engine and manual transmission in a Mustang (or most any sports car except for the a variant or two of the 911)... of course this is my personal guess and should anyone have evendence otherwise I love to be enlightened.

However, I also feel that the "R" will not resume the normal depreciation cycle of 7-9% a year. In my crystal ball I see at worst a modest slide in the first 5 years of ownership.... then the heard thins, good examples become harder to find... prices stabilize in the 5-10 year range. Of course, un-modded and lower miles cars will demand higher prices with the earlier "Base" followed by the 2020 "HEP" Rs being the strongest in the market.

Anyway... the above combined with the general trajectory of the automobile seemingly to be moving away from the "traditionally engaged driving experience" I believe there will always be a sect of society (some may call a petrolhead) seeking those more engaging viseral cars of the past.... and I believe this one (2015-2020 GT350R) will be up there on the Mount Rushmore of driver's cars.

Last edited:

BostonDMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP, 2009 Porsche 911 CS, 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, 2017 Alfa Romeo 4C, 2017 Jeep SRT, 1998 Porsche Boxster (race car), 2017 Audi Allroad, 1998 Mercedes GL450, 2016 Subaru crosstrek
Agreed, R driver more skilled than the 500 driver....... extra power Can as n only take you so far....

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
Rs will be valuable (specifically 20s and 19s w/ gen 2 voodoo) but 350s will not be.
I don't think they'll go UP in value, but will HOLD value well. We probably won't see the hold for 6-18 months though
The R may be more valuable with the carbon and collectability, sure, but the media had many a write-ups found easily anywhere on the web, which gave HEAVY praise to the 19 and up versions of the base and closing the gap (with the specs to back it up) to the R. Will the R be worth more? Sure. Will the base be "not valuable"? I doubt it.
Sponsored