Sponsored

Enclosed AirBox GT350

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
No one makes one. Why? in traffic/drive thru at bank i can regularly see AIT of 140+ in this heat. With Shelbys getting cheaper and more and more people daily driving them, this feels like an untapped market.

Honeybadger has seen an appreciable benefit on his track-only car as well.

Who wants to help me make one? could one from Steeda/others be adapted to work with the GT350? As long as the original maf tube is used, does it matter whats before it?
Sponsored

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
I saw a Roush has this for the 5.0. Not sure about fit in a GT350

upload_2019-7-17_10-50-35.jpg

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
When the hood is closed the top is sealed by the hood therefore there wouldn't be much if any difference as far as heat as the one in that picture. And of course the air comes into it directly from outside.

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
When the hood is closed the top is sealed by the hood therefore there wouldn't be much if any difference as far as heat as the one in that picture. And of course the air comes into it directly from outside.
its not a very good seal. i saw temps of 130 today at lunch.

Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
its not a very good seal. i saw temps of 130 today at lunch.
I suspect that temp is less likely to do with the seal against the hood and more to do with the whole air box sitting in a hot engine bay and not being a very good insulator. If you really wanted to you could try lining the box with insulation, but I’d be surprised if there were noticeable gains from it on a street car.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Couple considerations here:
  1. The box needs a good seal to work properly. When we dyno'd my car, I tried it with my airbox cover on and open. Made 6hp more with it sealed.
  2. Air intake temps. When sealing against the hood, you do have an non-insulated heat conductor acting as part of the seal. My air temps regularly are only 10 or so more than ambient temps.
  3. Damage to the hood. Not sure of others, but my airbox rubbed the paint off my hood where it seals.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Couple considerations here:
  1. The box needs a good seal to work properly. When we dyno'd my car, I tried it with my airbox cover on and open. Made 6hp more with it sealed.
  2. Air intake temps. When sealing against the hood, you do have an non-insulated heat conductor acting as part of the seal. My air temps regularly are only 10 or so more than ambient temps.
  3. Damage to the hood. Not sure of others, but my airbox rubbed the paint off my hood where it seals.
This might be worth trying if you want a better seal. It's cheap and works for me and a few others. Doesn't look bad if you make nice cuts and take your time.
IMG_9906.jpg
IMG_9912.PNG

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I used gold reflective tape on my stock airbox and that's it. In 95F ambient IATs are under 108 after driving for 30min.

JLT and PMAS intakes both had significantly higher IATs so I switched back to stock airbox.

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
I used gold reflective tape on my stock airbox and that's it. In 95F ambient IATs are under 108 after driving for 30min.

JLT and PMAS intakes both had significantly higher IATs so I switched back to stock airbox.
I have heard this from several others who track their IAT's.....aftermarket will run higher temps.

Sponsored

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S

This is what I did. I removed the OEM air box and wrapped it in DEI gold reflective tape. The glue on the tape isn’t very reliable on the plastic air box, so I used 3M spray adhesive to make it secure. No peeling after 10+ days on track this year.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Drive at a high speed and the temperature drops. Mine is only 3 degrees higher than the ambient temperature while driving on the highway. The temperature climbs when sitting at the lights, idling etc while the heat traps inside the engine bay. No aftermarket air box will help with this.

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R & 2016 Charger SRT392
Data loggers confirm that at higher track speeds, the aluminum hood flaps a bit, causing the air box seal to be compromised. This allows hot air to entire, resulting in a drop in power. I can also confirm that my underside hood paint is worn where the seal is being compromised, so is clearly occurring regularly on track.
I went ahead and sealed mine off using lexan from home depot, cut to fit and set in place with screws and nylon nuts. The entire top fitment comes off so can still access for filter change/cleaning.
I believe the 500 has a closed air box so is possible that version can be used on the 350.

TechnicalLimitation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350. H3562
I’ve noticed mine get very high in-town driving. I do hit a lot of street lights though, and sit idling. It’ll easily climb north of 120F/130F with 95F ambient temps. Prior to reading this thread I thought there may have been a leak.

For those who have tried taping the box, do you see a drop in IAT when street driving and hitting stop lights, or is that primarily for track and you’ve seen some improvement there?

Thanks
Sponsored