Sponsored

ecoboost or 3.7 engine

tommyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP manual
I am turning in my 16 ecoboost lease in a month or so and I am undecided on which model to choose . I prefer to buy this time , so I have concerns over the ecoboost's reliability and longevity down the road. As 6 cyl. owners , would you recommend that i buy a 17 6 cyl. because you are happy with it, or buy a 18 ecoboost ? The base manual is OK. If you had to do it all over again would it still be the 6 over the ecoboost? thanks for the advise.
Sponsored

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
I would take the V6 in a heartbeat. It's a solid engine, very strong, and reasonably efficient (good mileage) on the open road.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
For 17s I'd take the V6 over the Eco because I didn't like the feel of the Ecoboost engine on my test drive. With the increased power/torque of the 18 it might be a different story now though.

You might be taking your premium creature comforts for granted though, the base screen is terrible.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
For 17s I'd take the V6 over the Eco because I didn't like the feel of the Ecoboost engine on my test drive. With the increased power/torque of the 18 it might be a different story now though.

You might be taking your premium creature comforts for granted though, the base screen is terrible.
What he said. I hear the '18 eco is a different animal. I will say totally biased I like the 3.7L platform because of its untapped potential but in truth it's a lot harder to get potential out of the engine. Especially since the engine is a defunct powertrain in the mustang. The ecoboost offers better aftermarket. But I love my 3.7, one of my favorite engines.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
I like the '18 looks and improvements so I would go that route.

Sponsored

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
After reading on the Ecoboost I4 thread I'm not a big fan of the Ecoboost and the 18 GT at $50,000 way out of my price range. I love my 2015 V6 051A premium auto, in fact my lease is up 4/21/18 and I'am buying it out right only have 16,200 miles and enjoy the few mod's I have made it very quick through the gears and top end.

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
Just looked on the Ford site and there isn't a MT V6 within 100 miles of me. 22 autos.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The 3.7 is basically bullet proof. The 2.3 as you know has issues. The biggest for me is the weak spot in the block at the back of cylinder 2. I’m going off memory here here but that is not the cause of the engine failures but when shit happens that is where the boom part starts. So now there is a lot of talk about the 2.0 for future builds. Frankly if you really are into performance you should get the GT. Some guys saving for another engine is money that should go toward a GT in the first place. And I mean base GT.

Performance gains with n/a motors are modest even on corn. Forced induction through is another matter and these cars go well beyond what the EcoBoost can do.

Ford has a hate on for the 3.7 and even the over engine brace and such has to be modified. The 3.7 is the best value in Mustangs by a country mile. But if I were you the second Mustang should be the base GT and justify the extra cost by not messing with it till you pay some of it off. Check the insurance rates and it may not be so bad.

But to answer your question the 3.7 is the better car. Everyone here runs 87 because gas is so high so you will probably beat a EcoBoost in a street race even with some mods but nobody has challenged me yet except GTs. Take all of that for what it’s worth.

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
I went with the V6 because I plan on keeping the car for a long time. Just don't trust the I4 DI to get over 200k miles without serious issues. My last Mustang with V6 NA had 240K in 12 years without any major issues. If i had to do it again and a v6 NA was available would pick it over the I4 turbo every-time. You won't get much of an increase tuning the V6 but for me 300HP is fine for a DD that auto-X a few times a year. Money saved from lower cost V6 can be used to do upgrades.

Leather take-off skins can be had for around $300
Sync3 upgrade has a write-up last time i looked it was around $800

Have had mine for almost three years and still enjoy driving it.

Seeing new 2017 V6 MT from 19-20K. Base 2018 EC0 just under 26k. You can do a lot of mods with 5k and change

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

tommyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP manual
thanks

Hey guys, thanks so much for your insightful and sound advise. My window of opportunity to buy a new 17 v6 is shrinking ,so I have to decide soon. I will test drive a 18 eco next week and I will decide then.

Armen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Vert
My bet is you will love the 2018 EB. The motor has more torque and the overall refinement of the chasis will be a decider, imo.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I would say V6, it sounds better and it will be less problematic. It may be less powerful than the EB but not by that much. I also prefer the linear power delivery of a NA engine.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
The V6 is great but I regret not getting it with the 3.55. If I can do it all over again I'd get it with the 3.55 rear diff option package.

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
The V6 is great but I regret not getting it with the 3.55. If I can do it all over again I'd get it with the 3.55 rear diff option package.
I know what you mean. I got mine at the end of the V6 run and there was no ordering option. Got a takeoff 3.55 rear from Shelby on ebay. Makes it a different animal.
Sponsored