ecoboost or 3.7 engine

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I don't want more power.
Yet, haven't you had yours less than a year so far? And since you already have the Whipple, you can upgrade to the newer version for even moarrrr power pretty easy.

For the 17 GTs left over at amazing prices, those are still probably at least $5k more than what a leftover V6 or Eco would sell at. If I could have gotten a GT at 26k when I bought mine, I probably would have done that for sure.
Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I would highly agree on the GT comments. You can find a slightly used s550 GT for less than $25k vs a brand new V6/EB for the same price. But I do understand that a GT is not in everyone’s price range and some may not be able to swing it especially if they want it brand new, plus the cost of ownership between a GT and a V6/EB must be taken into consideration as well.

Overall, if you are not planning to go V8, get the 6. I enjoyed every minute of my 2.5 years with the V6, I loved the crap out of that car and it’s what really put me in the Mustang world, I didn’t even do much to it…just a stock GT Catback, a K&N filter, pedalcommander, and some cosmetic mods. I actually miss my V6 even though my GT is way better. If I had money I’d have both a V6 and a GT.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I would highly agree on the GT comments. You can find a slightly used s550 GT for less than $25k vs a brand new V6/EB for the same price. But I do understand that a GT is not in everyone’s price range and some may not be able to swing it especially if they want it brand new, plus the cost of ownership between a GT and a V6/EB must be taken into consideration as well.

Overall, if you are not planning to go V8, get the 6. I enjoyed every minute of my 2.5 years with the V6, I loved the crap out of that car and it’s what really put me in the Mustang world, I didn’t even do much to it…just a stock GT Catback, a K&N filter, pedalcommander, and some cosmetic mods. I actually miss my V6 even though my GT is way better. If I had money I’d have both a V6 and a GT.
Agreed. I’d go 15 GT over 17/18 EB or V6, maybe even a 13/14 GT as well. Certainly lots to choose from in non premium for under $25k. It doesn’t seem like premium is high on your list if you are considering a V6.

I had a 13 V6 actually 2 of them. They are great cars never gave me any issues. I’d trust them over the EB.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
They do great in the previous S197 and would definitely liven things up for us as well, but you need the upgraded housing if you've got the 3.15s. If you by the whole thing like that listing, it'll swap right over.

1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
They do great in the previous S197 and would definitely liven things up for us as well, but you need the upgraded housing if you've got the 3.15s. If you by the whole thing like that listing, it'll swap right over.
The 3.73's have a different housing than the 3.31, 3.55, and 3.15's?

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I know the 3.15s have a different housing than the others, not sure on what is shared between each of them though.

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
17 vs 17, definitely V6 because sound, response, and you can FI it later on.
17 vs 18, definitely EB all day long, if you don't abuse it much.

The 10 speed auto gets overheated easily and would jump into protection mode to lock out of lower gears. If you track a lot you may consider that.

I once rented a 18 GT and went into protection mode just 40min of spirited canyon driving. The car chugged down 4.5 gallons gasoline during the period. I've seen several complaints on how easy that gearbox overheats, including journalists.

1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
17 vs 17, definitely V6 because sound, response, and you can FI it later on.
17 vs 18, definitely EB all day long, if you don't abuse it much.

The 10 speed auto gets overheated easily and would jump into protection mode to lock out of lower gears. If you track a lot you may consider that.

I once rented a 18 GT and went into protection mode just 40min of spirited canyon driving. The car chugged down 4.5 gallons gasoline during the period. I've seen several complaints on how easy that gearbox overheats, including journalists.
"FI it later on"?

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
"FI it later on"?
Turbo(s) or procharger. There is a really nice looking twin turbo kit that gets you well within the 500s and starts under $4k.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Do you guys know if that 3.55 from an auto or manul trans? Looks too clean to be cast iron which is making me think it is from an auto.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Used to own an Ecoboost. Have a friend with the V6. My thoughts below:

Ecoboost
Pros: Turbo blow-off sound, can run on regular, E15, mid, or premium stock. Modification potential is huge. Pretty darn reliable if you decide to go the e85 route. e85 and WMI make the LSPI chances a lot lower because increased octane. The stock motor on(2016&2017 ecoboosts) is just as reliable as the V6 stock. Car sounds pretty good with a big turbo setup.

Cons: If using anything other than premium gas on a stock Ecoboost, there's a noticeable power drop. Putting in regular gas, you have a 40hp power drop. There's only 1 exhaust option that sounds decent. That would be the MBRP Race exhaust.

V6
Pros: More reliable when you start modding. No power drop penalty when using regular gas. Can add premium and performance goodies later on

Cons: Base interior is bad. Modding potential is bad until you go FI.

MPG comparison is a wash

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase