Sponsored

Ecoboost HPP versus Altima VC Turbo

Knerrpool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Fusion Sport
I realize this is a Mustang thread so answers may be understandably biased but I'll post anyway. Love the look of the HPP (don't need a GT so don't want to pay for one). Clearly, Mustang carries more panache than Altima. Let's take that out of the equation. Also take out that Nissan may or may not be a dying brand - I'll take my chances if they go out of business. Resale is a bit of a factor, but not significantly so as I generally keep cars for a long time.

Let's just look at the cars themselves. As I posted on a separate thread, the HPP was underwhelming on the test drive. Granted it probably only had 87 octane, but I'm sure the Altima did too, and it was every bit as fast. I'm sure in the long run the HPP will be faster (track apps, etc.) but it seems not significantly so. I'm on a budget, so I can only go for essentially the base models (and automatic transmission). For about $3,000 less, the Altima gives you way more features - sunroof, lane departure, blindspot, collision warning, etc. I don't necessarily need 4 doors, but it has them.

Any comments? I realize these cars really are in different segments. Just trying to gather any information available. Thanks.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
As a guy who has friends who own those cars, I absolutely think they are trash. Pay the extra $ get the car you want if its the mustang, get it, or Altima. Drive both, if you are considering both you would like either.

OP
OP

Knerrpool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Fusion Sport
As a guy who has friends who own those cars, I absolutely think they are trash. Pay the extra $ get the car you want if its the mustang, get it, or Altima. Drive both, if you are considering both you would like either.
Okay, that's somewhat helpful, but not really. Trash is an easy word to throw around, but means nothing without additional details. In other words, why, exactly is it trash?

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If you want a FUN 4-banger for 30K'ish (less when used) you really have to drive the GTI. Way more fun to toss around and beat on than the EB Mustang. You may not be going any faster but it sure feels like it and your smile will be wider. The Altima is a crap choice on pretty much any metric. Go Civic SI or Mazda instead.

OP
OP

Knerrpool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Fusion Sport
If you want a FUN 4-banger for 30K'ish (less when used) you really have to drive the GTI. Way more fun to toss around and beat on than the EB Mustang. You may not be going any faster but it sure feels like it and your smile will be wider. The Altima is a crap choice on pretty much any metric. Go Civic SI or Mazda instead.
Thanks, Shogun32. Yes, the I think the GTI would be a good fit. Unfortunately there are no Volkwagen dealers within a reasonable distance, which due to circumstances, is a factor I need to take into consideration. I believe Civic SI only comes in manual? So that is not an option as I need an automatic. I actually had a 2004 Mazda 3 and LOVED it. Not a fan at all of the current gen 3 or 6 (regardless of how they drive).

Again, "crap" is just a word. It may very well be crap, but I need to know why......

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, Shogun32. Yes, the I think the GTI would be a good fit. Unfortunately there are no Volkwagen dealers within a reasonable distance, which due to circumstances, is a factor I need to take into consideration. I believe Civic SI only comes in manual? So that is not an option as I need an automatic. I actually had a 2004 Mazda 3 and LOVED it. Not a fan at all of the current gen 3 or 6 (regardless of how they drive).

Again, "crap" is just a word. It may very well be crap, but I need to know why......
One of them has had a multitude of problems, I cant speak for the others but I remember his car always being down for some issue at any given time. He isn't someone who mods cars either, just a DD. Ive ridden in it and I just felt, blah in it. Not really something id ever consider to a mustang, different car segment. Just not my thing, but still cant get it being compared to each other honestly

I think Type R only comes in manual, I believe SI comes in both auto or manual? I could be wrong.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
where do you live anyway? Out in the middle of nowhere that you can't find a VW dealer? I had a Mazda Protege5. Now that was a hoot!
https://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/altima says all there needs to be said, IMO. If you want a sedan, buy a sedan. If you want a fast, fun car it's Hatch time or Mustang. By 'crap' we don't mean a total POS, rather it doesn't do anything well, and is overshadowed by other entries in the 'driver experience' aspect. And a CVT trans? Come on man... Drive a DSG or the A10 (which could stand some rework) and you'll be a believer.

OP
OP

Knerrpool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Fusion Sport
where do you live anyway? Out in the middle of nowhere that you can't find a VW dealer? I had a Mazda Protege5. Now that was a hoot!
https://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/altima says all there needs to be said, IMO. If you want a sedan, buy a sedan. If you want a fast, fun car it's Hatch time or Mustang.
Due to some personal circumstances, I need to be relatively close to a dealer for not only purchasing but mainly servicing the car. I am not relatively close to a dealer. Yes, I know I "don't have to take it to the dealer" for service, but I want to.

I've seen that review you posted, and it's actually pretty favorable. I would say the Altima VC Turbo qualifies as a "fast, fun car", but cheaper and with a lot more options. However, yes it is a Nissan adn I understand that Nissan is having some corporate troubles. Not sure that is a valid reason not to buy their cars (although it may be.....)

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Altima VC Turbo qualifies as a "fast, fun car",
except it doesn't handle anywhere near as good as the competition and is short a good 50HP to the Mustang, while it does have a 250lb weight advantage. I'm not sure what dictionary you're using but 'fast' and 'fun' I don't think have ever been used to describe the Altima going back 30 years and doubly-so any contraption using a CVT. Competent enough mid-market sedan that can seat 4 adults? Sure. Get an Accord or Civic. Honda's not going anywhere even if they can't do diddly in F1.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
except it doesn't handle anywhere near as good as the competition and is short a good 50HP to the Mustang, while it does have a 250lb weight advantage. I'm not sure what dictionary you're using but 'fast' and 'fun' I don't think have ever been used to describe the Altima going back 30 years and doubly-so any contraption using a CVT. Competent enough mid-market sedan that can seat 4 adults? Sure. Get an Accord or Civic. Honda's not going anywhere even if they can't do diddly in F1.
I feel funny reading the title "Ecoboost HPP versus Altima VC Turbo" lol
Its not even comparable to my non HPP...
Anyway, if I was in the market for a FWD sedan, Id go for the Accord Sport 2.0t. Its actually a pretty quick car, its close in performance with a pre '18 EB mustang rated at 5.6 - 5.7 sec 0-60 sec. Its got that 10 speed and has a manual option....

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I know you said you didn't "need" the GT (who really "needs" a GT?), but consider this: A base '20 Mustang EB HPP msrp is $33,505. A base '20 Mustang GT msrp is $37,075. A difference of $3,570. I'd be willing to bet you could find a gently used '19 Mustang GT for less than the price of a new Ecoboost HPP, and the GT would still have warranty left. Just a hunch, but I would imagine if you drove a GT, you'd be willing to pay the extra $ over the HPP.

That said, the Altima is good for blending in with all the other bland sedans and small crossovers. I don't know anything about its reliability, but Car and Driver's long term Altima says it's meh, and they are indifferent to it; well you can read for yourself: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a27021737/2019-nissan-altima-reliability-maintenance/

Why anyone would want an Altima after reading that, I wouldn't know.
Sponsored