Sponsored

'18 Mustang Ecoboost PP vs '19 Camaro Turbo 1LE

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Everybody that drives it says the Alpha chassis is better than the Mustang. I don't know about specific hard data, but you can't argue with every driver saying it handles better. It isn't really debatable on that front.

The debate comes in on whether the car surrounding the chassis is better for the other 99% of your driving and for the extra cost (at least before the 18 stang bumped the price up).

Plus there's also the general weight loss and the claimed 28% improvement in rigidity over the 5th gen camaro, while the S550 gained a bit of weight.

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
I own both. The Camaro handles better.

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Which is better?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
What's superior about it? I've never seen any data that indicates there's something superior about the Camaro chassis.
Superior is a subjective term.

In regards to track performance, it is pretty unanimously seen so.

But in regards to comfort, space, every day usability....not so much.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I am very interested in this topic. I can't wait for September to roll around so that autocross opens up here again. Missed the first half of the year. I look forward to seeing a turbo 4 1le. My eco is fully loaded with every performance box I could tick so I fully intend to get as much data as possible. Hell I am leaving my car stock through this year with the intention of getting hard numbers that will show gain increases via mods in the future.

I think that with similar drivers the Mustang will edge out the 1le, my car handles so well, I just have a hard time seeing the 4cyl be the Victor. Now the 6 cyl I have to assume they will prevail against me. Only time will tell.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Responses will be biased, but how will the two compare?
With the Camaro being lighter, it seems that it'll be a blast to drive around the track. Hopefully we can share genuine comparisons.
This is an understatement. A local guy weighed his 2017 Camaro turbo car and it was nearly 3200 lbs on a certified scare. Car had something like a 1/2 or 1/4 tank of gas in it. The Mustang is, what, at least 200lbs more? The 1LE will added the SS' suspension and brakes, and then some coolers (probably engine and trans; the V6 1LE I don't think has the diff cooler) which wont add much weight. Watching the guy run, and another guy (newbie) in the region, the turbo Camaros are FAST in autocross. FAST. The only complaint I got out of the guys were that the car hits ABS ice mode quickly, to which the 1LE will resolve.

I can't comment on a road course comparison. You get a similar brake setup, The Camaro weighs less, but the Mustang has more wheel and tire up front. The Mustang has more of a low-end/mid-range power curve and the Camaro has more of a mid-range power curve. I think the Mustang's gear ratios are probably better in the manual comparison. I think the A10 is an advantage for the Mustang. Road course stuff is a little more complicated. Autocross is about grip, weight, size and power (pretty much in that order); where the Camaro has some great advantages in.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Camaro 4 cyl with no options weighs 3339 to 3354 lbs (from what I am finding) for a 1le call it 3375

Mustang weighs 3532 to 3642 (again what I can find) so for a base care like mine call it 3575 lbs

Again just best guesses the Camaro will gain weight due to the 1le package. Still roughly a 200 lb advantage for the Camaro.

Camaro 12.2 lbs per hp
Mustang 11.53 lb per hp (also a very favorable tq advantage)

Again it would be a good and close race but I believe the Mustang will take a turbo 4 1le.

One factor is I'm basing this off the auto. The 1le is manual only so manual vs manual it's a drivers race at that point could go either way.

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Camaro 4 cyl with no options weighs 3339 to 3354 lbs (from what I am finding) for a 1le call it 3375

Mustang weighs 3532 to 3642 (again what I can find) so for a base care like mine call it 3575 lbs

Again just best guesses the Camaro will gain weight due to the 1le package. Still roughly a 200 lb advantage for the Camaro.

Camaro 12.2 lbs per hp
Mustang 11.53 lb per hp (also a very favorable tq advantage)

Again it would be a good and close race but I believe the Mustang will take a turbo 4 1le.

One factor is I'm basing this off the auto. The 1le is manual only so manual vs manual it's a drivers race at that point could go either way.
In what?
(say equal drivers)

Drag racing? I would side with you.

Autocross? Nope, sorry. I've seen what the non-1LE can do and what the EB PP car do. I've also driven the EB PP in autocross.

Road course? Man, I think this could be close. I'm going to say Camaro 1LE.

Drifting/Gymkhana? Mustang is my vote.

Burnouts? This can be a race :clap2: Mustang.

Grocery-Getting? Mustang, by FAR.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Superior is a subjective term.

In regards to track performance, it is pretty unanimously seen so.

But in regards to comfort, space, every day usability....not so much.
In virtually every comparison I've seen, the top Mustang beats any Camaro put up against it.

Performance Car of the Year

Best Driver's Car

Yes Chevy has put sticky tires and ultra stiff suspension on some Camaro models, both this and last generation. Those adds do contribute to fast lap times and good cornering performance, but they don't make the chassis obviously superior.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
In what?
(say equal drivers)

Drag racing? I would side with you.

Autocross? Nope, sorry. I've seen what the non-1LE can do and what the EB PP car do. I've also driven the EB PP in autocross.

Road course? Man, I think this could be close. I'm going to say Camaro 1LE.

Drifting/Gymkhana? Mustang is my vote.

Burnouts? This can be a race :clap2: Mustang.

Grocery-Getting? Mustang, by FAR.
You saw 17 eco's there is no data on the 18's at this time. Mag ride, drive modes, the A10 and extra tq has changed the game.

I can respect your opinion but your on a mustang forum trying to convince us to side with team Camaro. Lol best of luck to you sir.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
In virtually every comparison I've seen, the top Mustang beats any Camaro put up against it.

Performance Car of the Year

Best Driver's Car

Yes Chevy has put sticky tires and ultra stiff suspension on some Camaro models, both this and last generation. Those adds do contribute to fast lap times and good cornering performance, but they don't make the chassis obviously superior.
Because those awards also take in to account the other 360 days of the year that you aren't on a track testing the chassis. You aren't really testing a chassis by going down the highway to work.

And I'm not sure which Performance Car of the Year you're looking at, but the Mustang did not win that for R&T and Camaro came in 2nd.

If everyone that reviews it says the chassis is better, I take their word for some strange reason. Obviously there is some debate on which makes the better overall package, but on the chassis front, the Camaro wins.

Looking at just the 4 bangers for each, it's hard to say which would come ahead though. The Eco has a tad better power to weight but they are damn close, Eco's torque might let it get ahead.
Sponsored