Sponsored

Ecoboost GT PP Brembo Brake Upgrade

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Mounting holes are the same but I don't think you an go from a 2 pot to a 6 pot without changing the master cylinder.
that is NOT REMOTELY a basis on which to declare "not compatible". You're ripping and replacing a whole host of parts, if one of those is the MC then you simply state 'replace MC advised'.

Do you have the MC piston bore size for the 2-pot EB? As well all the bore sizes for the various calipers? Any discussion of bias is worthless without those numbers.

Heaven forgive me for referencing a vendor for details (proves nothing) but ZERO mention about needing a MC.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/upgrading-s550-mustang-brakes.html
Sponsored

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just need to get the dust shields.
you don't. If you're racing then you'll want to be able to cool the 6-pots which means you'll need air deflectors for the lateral links, the GT bumper lip (flat black, JR3Z-17D957-CA ) and the PP1 undertray ( JR3Z-17626-B ).

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
you don't. If you're racing then you'll want to be able to cool the 6-pots which means you'll need air deflectors for the lateral links, the GT bumper lip (flat black, JR3Z-17D957-CA ) and the PP1 undertray ( JR3Z-17626-B ).
Not racing these. Just want to get the advantages of the brembo's
Looks like i have everything from the ford performance kit except the dust shields
I am second guessing if I need a different bracket or if i have to change the MC. I have a 2017 base ecoboost
Thanks

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
that is NOT REMOTELY a basis on which to declare "not compatible". You're ripping and replacing a whole host of parts, if one of those is the MC then you simply state 'replace MC advised'.

Do you have the MC piston bore size for the 2-pot EB?
I mean i think there is a reason why its listed as not compatible on cj and from steeda. Not sure why ford performance has different information. Like I said this is stuff I remember reading before I did my own swap. From what i see the language has changed with with 2018 and up ecoboost. Perhaps they no longer come with 2 pistons?

No, I don't know the bore size for the 2 pot.

At the end of the day I admit I really don't know if it will or wont work. Just because you can mount them, does that mean they will function correctly as they are intended?

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I mean i think there is a reason why its listed as not compatible on cj and from steeda. Not sure why ford performance has different information.
One of the reasons might be that they don't want people to buy them and then complain they weren't told that their stock 18" wheels won't fit over the calipers.

Sponsored

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
One of the reasons might be that they don't want people to buy them and then complain they weren't told that their stock 18" wheels won't fit over the calipers.
That is a valid point, but I feel like they would just mention that. Either way I'd suggest anyone attempting this, to get in touch with ford performance or if someone who has done the swap.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
Hi,

I swapped base EcoBoost to GT PP brakes. Front and rear.
Brakes feel is fine, better than stock, but still not as good as on a stock GT PP.

I'm thinking to try power bleeder now, maybe that will improve the situation.

But I've been considering swap MC and brake Booster from the auto trans 50th anniversary. Is anyone thinking it's worth it?
And do you know by a chance what's the difference between MC?
I think booster pressure is different according to the service manual.

Why Ford uses different MC if many of you are saying there is no difference. Thank you.
Found this post from a basic search perhaps he can chime in. If not it just leaves a lingering question.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just because you can mount them, does that mean they will function correctly as they are intended?
if the bore ratio is wildly different, then yes the pedal travel or force can be major problem. As you can see from below a MC might be a good idea but again, I can't find the piston sizes for the various MC's. All we know is base GT == GT350 and the PP1 gets like 0.3mm difference if my memory is intact.

In any event if you don't change the MC and the braking is total crap (pedal goes to floor, or super hard) you'll know real quick with a lap around the block.

front:
2-pot 43mm x 2 = 2904mm^2
4-pot 46mm x 4 = 6648mm^2
6-pot 36mm x 6 = 6107mm^2

rear:
45 x 1 = 1590mm^2

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brake-master-cylinder-replacement-questions.137227/
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brembo-brake-upgrade-master-cylinder.101907/
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/lets-talk-brakes.147808/

and if you want to do math
https://www.joesracing.com/master-cylinder-math/

Last edited:

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Where on Steeda’s site does it state not for base model EcoBoosts? I see “This is a direct bolt on upgrade for the EcoBoost and base model GT!” Nothing about trim levels.

https://www.steeda.com/ford-racing-...ton-front-brake-kit-2015-gt-161-m-2300-v.html

I see on CJ’s site that it states for performance pack ecoboosts, but there is a question that asks what else is needed for a base ecoboost, and the answer is only new wheels, doesn’t state it doesn’t work. I have seen a lot of conflicting info on CJ’s site about other parts, not sure I would put my faith in them.

As I mentioned before, Ford Performance states:
  • Fits 2015-2020 Mustang GT and 2.3L EcoBoost
That’s it, nothing about trim levels, new master cylinder required, etc. I would tend to trust the company that produces this kit, after all, Ford’s lawyers aren’t going to let them sell something that could get them in legal trouble.

Heck, the Ford Performance M-2300-Y GT350R upgrade kit states “Fits 2015-2021 Mustang GT 5.0L and 2.3L EcoBoost”, no trim restrictions or need for a master cylinder upgrade. And that kit is 6 piston front, 4 piston rears. Pretty sure if the base model master cylinder wasn’t up to the task, Ford lawyers would have a disclaimer all over that kit.

Where does the need for a new master cylinder come from? I have never seen a credible source for it being needed. I do remember a company years ago (don’t remember who.) stating it was needed because they installed the front Brembo kit on a base model and they had a major brake issue and they insisted the new MC was needed, but later I remember them stating there was an issue with the install? Or maybe air in the system? That is what I recall anyway, but maybe I am not remembering correctly.

My opinion to the OP and anyone else that is curious, call Ford Performance directly and get the answer from the source.

Doug

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No idea if this is yet another gross editorial error but the MY22 spec sheet claims the M1 uses PFC 42 series brake pads on the rear.

Also swept area is called out.
2022 Mustang Tech Specs (ford.com)
Sponsored