Ecoboost Built Motor

exodus.eco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
Anybody have any recommendations on built motors? Currently looking at maperformance, ems, and tune+ 2.0 shortblocks. Does anyone have any they recommend? Looking for reliable power around 500 - maybe 600 whp.
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Anybody have any recommendations on built motors? Currently looking at maperformance, ems, and tune+ 2.0 shortblocks. Does anyone have any they recommend? Looking for reliable power around 500 - maybe 600 whp.
Not sure about the 2.0 short blocks, I've been told the enclosed block is stronger, but runs hotter.
Have also been told that Ford went to the open block with the 2.3 to increase the cylinder heat transfer and reduce the operating temperature due to the additional heat of a larger turbocharger and additional cylinder displacement.
Also, both engine blocks are aluminum with non- sleeved, coated cylinder walls.
Something else I have be researching, is, does the 2.0 blocks require modification to fit the Mustang and if they do... can the RS 2.3 (350HP) and VULH 2.3 (400HP) blocks also be modified to fit the Mustang?

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Not sure about the 2.0 short blocks, I've been told the enclosed block is stronger, but runs hotter.
Have also been told that Ford went to the open block with the 2.3 to increase the cylinder heat transfer and reduce the operating temperature due to the additional heat of a larger turbocharger and additional cylinder displacement.
Something else I have be researching, is, does the 2.0 blocks require modification to fit the Mustang and if they do... can the RS 2.3 (350HP) and VULH 2.3 (400HP) blocks also be modified to fit the Mustang?
I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat Jessie Ringley at EMS. I've run both engines in a racing environment. It's not even a contest, the 2.0 is far and away the stronger option. Whatever cooling issues that the open-deck is meant to solve is minor compared to the blowing the side out of the block.

OP
OP

exodus.eco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
Based on what I’ve read the 2.3 RS block is the same as the block in the mustangs. Most people who have gone big power with these cars have gone 2.0 block due to it being better for reliability and can handle more pressure.

OP
OP

exodus.eco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat Jessie Ringley at EMS. I've run both engines in a racing environment. It's not even a contest, the 2.0 is far and away the stronger option. Whatever cooling issues that the open-deck is meant to solve is minor compared to the blowing the side out of the block.
From ems, is there much of a difference between the budget build block and the other shortblock?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
From ems, is there much of a difference between the budget build block and the other shortblock?
I can't tell you; You'd have to talk to Jessie. His budget block looks like it can hold 500HP with good reliability, though, so it really depends on your goals.

OP
OP

exodus.eco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
I can't tell you; You'd have to talk to Jessie. His budget block looks like it can hold 500HP with good reliability, though, so it really depends on your goals.
For $300-$800 more 200 more hp seems like a no brainer… thoughts?

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
From what I have read on ecoboost engine building sites, the ones that offer the 2.0 blocks are using factory ford oem blocks with 2.3 internals. The prices seem to vary depending on which piston, rod, bearing, etc they are using. And I think that is just as important as which block they are using. My theory (and that's all it is) is that if you put cheap 2.3 internals into a 2.0 block and you run it with the same tune and manner as I do... you're still going to have problems. My internals may not come out the side of a 2.0 block, but they will come out somewhere or at least lock the motor.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Personally, when I blow my open deck, I'll probably end up with at least the 10mm head studs & H-beams, but project creep is a shortcoming of mine.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
For me... spending the extra money and getting better internals would be the wiser thing "for me" to do, because of poor engine management (knock and excess heat) and mismatched bolt-ons (DIY and eBay).
But if you have quality bolt-ons and a good professional tuner... you may want to consider the budget block. 500 HP is a lot of horse power!!

OP
OP

exodus.eco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
For me... spending the extra money and getting better internals would be the wiser thing "for me" to do, because of poor engine management (knock and excess heat) and mismatched bolt-ons (DIY and eBay).
But if you have quality bolt-ons and a good professional tuner... you may want to consider the budget block. 500 HP is a lot of horse power!!
Yeah but that’s if you wanna risk another engine again. I think it’s smart and will be more rewarding paying for the higher dollar for the better reliability and power output. This is the functionfactory performance spec of the ems shortblock. https://ffperformance.co/product/en...0-ford-mustang-ecoboost-ffp-spec-short-block/. Thoughts?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Yeah but that’s if you wanna risk another engine again. I think it’s smart and will be more rewarding paying for the higher dollar for the better reliability and power output. This is the functionfactory performance spec of the ems shortblock. https://ffperformance.co/product/en...0-ford-mustang-ecoboost-ffp-spec-short-block/. Thoughts?
There are a lot of unhappy Function Factory customers and Sithiro is, shall we say, a bit free-wheeling with the truth. It appears their special spec is actually Jessie's lowest spec with a $1500 upcharge. Just get the engine from the guy doing the work.
Sponsored