TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
You should at least reach out to parker and see what they have to say? From what I've heard they are great guys and willing to lend a hand etc. Plus you are close by, at least reach out to them and tell them your situation.

You made a good choice on the BadBuBu, I have a completely built long block by EMS and love it so far.
Well thats good to hear! Have you had your baby dyno'd at all? I really want to know what the transmissions limits are especially as I will have capability for more power now.
Sponsored

1QwkEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Well thats good to hear! Have you had your baby dyno'd at all? I really want to know what the transmissions limits are especially as I will have capability for more power now.
On a Mustang dyno that reads about 10% lower than a dynojet I made 471 whp and 501 torque. Corrected its more like 518hp/551 tq at 27psi on an NX2. Ran out of fuel on the high end. Swapping a +60 hpfp in the next day or so. Will be dyno tuning on a dynojet in a couple weeks to see what can be made then. Hope to see closer to 550-575hp, 600 tq.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I don't recommend trying to engine swap with zero knowledge and experience. That's an uphill battle. You need special tools too, like an engine crane, fuel line disconnects, etc. Ton of work.
Fuel line disconnect tools are cheap. You can buy a push on plastic set for $20. You can rent an engine hoist at a local equipment rental...I'd hit up friends and find someone who has one or score a cheap one on CL or Facebook marketplace.

Search around - get a pdf copy of the Ford Service manual. It's worth it for the torque specs alone.

It's not a hard job. Now doing a clutch job in a transverse mounted V6 - I consider that harder. Had to drop the entire engine / transmission cradle. Still doable in a home garage with hand tools.

Take lots of pictures. Make notes as needed. Label connections / take pics of connections as you take it apart.

There's nothing super technical or specialized about replacing a stock short block with a replacement short block.

Don't skimp on the torque wrench. Get a good one. You'll need it.

Lint free shop towels are your friend when you're doing any internal engine work.

Take your time, document everything and don't force anything. If you get stuck - take a break and get some fresh eyes on it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Fuel line disconnect tools are cheap. You can buy a push on plastic set for $20. You can rent an engine hoist at a local equipment rental...I'd hit up friends and find someone who has one or score a cheap one on CL or Facebook marketplace.

Search around - get a pdf copy of the Ford Service manual. It's worth it for the torque specs alone.

It's not a hard job. Now doing a clutch job in a transverse mounted V6 - I consider that harder. Had to drop the entire engine / transmission cradle. Still doable in a home garage with hand tools.

Take lots of pictures. Make notes as needed. Label connections / take pics of connections as you take it apart.

There's nothing super technical or specialized about replacing a stock short block with a replacement short block.

Lint free shop towels are your friend when you're doing any internal engine work.

Take your time, document everything and don't force anything. If you get stuck - take a break and get some fresh eyes on it.
As someone who works on cars, I agree, it's not hard. But that's if you're looking through the lens of mechanical experience. For someone that has absolutely none, it's going to be hard.

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
On a Mustang dyno that reads about 10% lower than a dynojet I made 471 whp and 501 torque. Corrected its more like 518hp/551 tq at 27psi on an NX2. Ran out of fuel on the high end. Swapping a +60 hpfp in the next day or so. Will be dyno tuning on a dynojet in a couple weeks to see what can be made then. Hope to see closer to 550-575hp, 600 tq.
This is going to be all on stock transmission? Thats insane! Im pretty hyped!!! Now I just have to go through hell to get there lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost

Sounds like you know what you are talking about! I appreciate you taking the time to type this out my friend!

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
plus. tuners make a killing selling them, tune +, they have convinced an entire forum they are incapable of gapping their own plugs and you must buy from them. that right there is annoying when people can buy any plug down road with like 30-40% off coupons and gap themselves.

I cannot IMAGINE every 3-5k ordering an overpriced set of pregap plugs religiously.
It's not every 3 to 5k, it's 10 to 15k I just swapped my ngk's at 15k miles but probably could have got another 5 to 10k on them. I switched to the new ngk's that last longer and plan on swapping them when they hit 25k miles. It's really just cheap insurance. Like you I also use amsoil. Again cheap insurance. When you drive a platform like this it's best to err on the side of caution. Knock on wood but my car is still putting along

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
This is going to be all on stock transmission? Thats insane! Im pretty hyped!!! Now I just have to go through hell to get there lol
I think the ecoboost just uses the gt transmission so it should be the power no problem

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
So boys rip to my baby girl, cyl 2 blew a hole in my block. Although I am broke as a joke, I have ordered the babubu short block from FFP. I have no idea on how to do an engine swap, but I have literally no money to pay someone to do it once my block comes in (lol yay pandemic) So I will need all advice that one could possibly get before I start this journey in about 4 weeks, thanks boys. (also if anyone lives near Orlando,FL and is trying to get their good deeds in for the year feel free to swing on by)
if you remove the engine yourself and end up doing a 2.0 swap, i would like to buy a non-damaged piston-rod assembly to have as a display piece. i understand it would be a bit of labor. If interested name a price

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red

This 100%. My fist engine pull was a blown head gasket and failing oil pressure on an old 302. I didn't have any professional experience yet just hobbiest level work keeping it running and a pinch clutch replacement but pulling myself was all I could afford. Got the radiator and trans pulled then had my holy shit moment as I realized what I was getting into. Then I realized everyone who knows what they're doing had to start somewhere and there are many thousands of people on this earth that can do this. All went well and only minor frustrations had to be worked through. Take your time, pay attention and write down or photograph whatever you can and you'll be just fine.

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
This 100%. My fist engine pull was a blown head gasket and failing oil pressure on an old 302. I didn't have any professional experience yet just hobbiest level work keeping it running and a pinch clutch replacement but pulling myself was all I could afford. Got the radiator and trans pulled then had my holy shit moment as I realized what I was getting into. Then I realized everyone who knows what they're doing had to start somewhere and there are many thousands of people on this earth that can do this. All went well and only minor frustrations had to be worked through. Take your time, pay attention and write down or photograph whatever you can and you'll be just fine.
Yeah I'm not trying to get too worked up about it so definitely going to take my time and hopefully do it right lol. Ill keep everyone updated if they care to know xD