Sponsored

Downpipe=ecoboom?

Darnellbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost premium pony package
Do you guys have a downpipe? I’ve seen a couple of threads with people complaining that downpipes can and have ruined their turbos and/or engines. But I also see others who love their DP and it’s even adding decent HP gains.

I’m deciding if I want a DP, my currents mods are an intercooler, CAI and a Ford pro cal tune.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I'm on my 2nd downpipe (didn't have enough ground clearance) and on this one I included a 200 cell catalytic converter. Don't know of any reason for it to cause your motor to go boom!??

OP
OP

Darnellbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost premium pony package
I'm on my 2nd downpipe (didn't have enough ground clearance) and on this one I included a 200 cell catalytic converter. Don't know of any reason for it to cause your motor to go boom!??
So some people’s main problem is that after installing it, the turbo will spool faster than the PCM can register sometimes, potentially causing overboost which the car can’t handle. I also see a lot of people complaining about oil leaking into DP cause smoking and build up, eventually causing a check engine light. Im just worried I’ll be an unlucky one but like I said some people’s DP works amazingly!

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Do you guys have a downpipe? I’ve seen a couple of threads with people complaining that downpipes can and have ruined their turbos and/or engines. But I also see others who love their DP and it’s even adding decent HP gains.

I’m deciding if I want a DP, my currents mods are an intercooler, CAI and a Ford pro cal tune.
No, a downpipe will not cause your motor to blow. Unfortunately these motors were not reinforced from factory. Ford used some of the cheapest components when building these motors. Most of these "ecobooms" could have been prevented with some better headgaskets and some stronger internals. Mods that equal to more boost will cause more stress on these motors and make them more prone to popping. I've ran a simple E30 tune with a Vargas stage 2 turbo, cold air intake, and waste actuator along with a downpipe. My car never blew and was phenomenal. It was a 2015 model. They are great cars as long as you don't abuse them daily.

Sponsored

101a

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost 101a
So some people’s main problem is that after installing it, the turbo will spool faster than the PCM can register sometimes, potentially causing overboost which the car can’t handle. I also see a lot of people complaining about oil leaking into DP cause smoking and build up, eventually causing a check engine light. Im just worried I’ll be an unlucky one but like I said some people’s DP works amazingly!
Basically Ford will identify anything non-oem as being catastrophic. If you read this actual Ford doc, it will detail how all mods cause issues. Here's the downpipe section:

A downpipe is an unrestricted section of exhaust directly downstream of the turbo. By unrestricting the flow, the turbo may be able to spool up faster, reducing turbo lag. However, unrestricting the flow of exhaust can change the backpressure in the system which can lead to turbo overspeed.
Possible failure modes:
• Turbocharger Compressor Damage
• Piston damage
• Exhaust smoke from turbocharger seal leakage
Other highlights from the doc, including how any non-oem exahust will break the engine and/or turbo:

Piston damage (pre-ignition) possible causes:

Any non Ford tune
Turbo mods
Exhaust mods
Low quality fuel

Piston ring and spark plug damage possible causes:

Spark advanced from tune
Spark advanced from air intake mods

Torque converter damage possible cause:

Any non Ford tune

Auto trans clutch damage possible cause:

Any mod “that increases torque or power output”

Turbo compressor damage possible causes:

Any non Ford tune
Wastegate mods
Exhaust mods
Cold air intake
Throttle body spacer
Any non OEM blow off valve

Attachments

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Overboost, may be the same as turbo/boost creep, which I have read about in someone else's post. But from what I understand, a 200+ cell catalytic converter will help prevent that..?
Oil in your downpipe would have to come through the combustion chamber and I don't know if increased air flow will bring enough though to create a problem under normal conditions!?? Adding a catch can to your PCV system is a good safeguard.