OP
shogun32

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Mustang spec sheet says hpp already has forged crank and forged rods..
but the I4 block is weak. the 'beast' addresses the more important weaknesses. Or seems to.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Ford Mustang spec sheet says hpp already has forged crank and forged rods..
They're not so impressive if you're viewing them through the window in your block. The HPP is still an open deck. Ford is cagey as to what differences there actually are between the Standard and HPP Eco. I suspect the blocks are very close, if not identical. The Ford promo material says the HPP has X, Y, Z but they never actually say it's different than the standard.

BTW, I own an HPP. I'm just skeptical about the differences.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Their not so impressive if you're viewing them through the window in your block. The HPP is still an open deck. Ford is cagey as to what differences there actually are between the Standard and HPP Eco. I suspect the blocks are very close, if not identical. The Ford promo material says the HPP has X, Y, Z but they never actually say it's different than the standard.

BTW, I own an HPP. I'm just skeptical about the differences.
I found references about 2 weeks ago that they have different cooling channels. This is why the RS had some initial issues (recall? Warranty claims?), they were mixing up head gaskets at the assembly plant.
Here is what I found.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
" deck cooling jacket inserts " is an interesting, unless its marketing crap..
..only 415lb-ft with h-beam rods?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I know you're balls deep into the HPP. I'm skeptical.

I love my car. It's a blast to drive. I just suspect they didn't find these blocks where Jack found his beanstalk beans like the promo material suggests.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The big feature of the Ecobeast block is that the Callies crankshaft is 9 pounds lighter than the stock Ecoboost crank . I know it is too late for Ford to put the Callies forged crank in the 2022 Ecoboost Mustang , but maybe Ford will find a way to up the performance with the crank in the 2023 Mustang Ecoboost HPP. A lighter crank and larger intercooler could do wonders for the 2023 HPP Ecoboost.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
The big feature of the Ecobeast block is that the Callies crankshaft is 9 pounds lighter than the stock Ecoboost crank . I know it is too late for Ford to put the Callies forged crank in the 2022 Ecoboost Mustang , but maybe Ford will find a way to up the performance with the crank in the 2023 Mustang Ecoboost HPP. A lighter crank and larger intercooler could do wonders for the 2023 HPP Ecoboost.
You could drop a good chunk off the rotating assembly with a light flywheel. I doubt if they ever put that Callies crank in a production engine, but it'd be cool.

The thing that seems like a pretty glaring error with this package is that it appears to be an open-deck block with inserts to stabilize the cylinders. This was something that builders tried, but abandoned a couple years ago. The 2.0 closed-deck proved to be much stronger. Those 500 HP/415 lb-ft numbers are about the open-deck limit with limited low rpm boost. Jesse Ringley has already seen 800 HP on a closed deck. It's really tough to argue against his BaBu short block package.

Sponsored
OP
OP
shogun32

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Jesse Ringley has already seen 800 HP on a closed deck. It's really tough to argue against his BaBu short block package.
link?

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would not be surprised to see the 2023 Ecoboost HPP to use similar components as the Ecobeest short block. I would think Callies could supply the crank for a couple thousand 2023 HPP Ecoboost. Ford probably has a new head design for the Ecoboost and will debut it on the 2023 Ecoboost. I could see Ford selling a 380 horsepower 2.3 liter Ecoboost in the 2023 Bronco Sport and the 2023 Mustang. The Japanese car companies are going after the Mustang so Ford needs to up the Ecoboost horsepower and you all know the off roaders will want more power in their Bronco Sports.

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
It's cool to see something come out of the Ford Performance camp regarding this. Did it mention if these are warrantied?

However, like @TeeLew mentioned above, at the moment there are cheaper more proven built motors capable of handling much more power for those that are serious about high power eco builds.
Sponsored