Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
A couple questions on the EB with the PP...
1) Is it lowered from the stock height? I have a very steep driveway and stock height cars will make it but most lowered cars won't.
2) Is the ride quality significantly different from the base EB or GT?

I currently have a Challenger with the Super Track Pack and it is OK but the Challenger is a much bigger and heavier car. I just don't want something that is harsh over city streets or has lots of road noise on the Hwy.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
A couple questions on the EB with the PP...
1) Is it lowered from the stock height? I have a very steep driveway and stock height cars will make it but most lowered cars won't.
2) Is the ride quality significantly different from the base EB or GT?

I currently have a Challenger with the Super Track Pack and it is OK but the Challenger is a much bigger and heavier car. I just don't want something that is harsh over city streets or has lots of road noise on the Hwy.
The absolute best advice you can receive is go to a local Ford Dealer (if seeking new) and test drive an EB w/PP. Do the same if looking for a used model.

I chose my prior 2016 EB w/PP because I wanted the PP upgrades over the base models. After driving it, I knew I made the correct decision...what I didn’t know was that my 2016 EB would turn out to be a Lemon... I went through the Ford RAV process and the 2016 was replaced with a 2018 EB w/PP.

The 2018 drives and handles much better than the prior 2016. There were revisions done during the 2018 refresh but know one ever determined exactly what chassis components were upgraded or revised. Many early 2018 threads on this site if you find and read them, many 2018 owners came from prior year models and almost all agreed the same - the 2018’s handle differently and better than the 2015-17’s (applies to EB and GT mannerisms).

When viewing side images of a stock EB Base compared to a EB w/PP, the PP EB does seem to sit lower, but that could be due to rim/tire differences and/or slight spring ratio differences. Now it’s not an extreme drop that would affect going up/down a graded driveway. Any driveway could pose an issue for a vehicle dependent on the angle or approach of the entry... My driveway is sloped, probably on a 45*+ angle, so when I enter or exit it, I do so on an angle, because if I tried to drive up straight on, it would surely come close to scraping the PP front splitter.

As far as road noise, in my 2018, the road noise is very minimal (truthfully) and NJ does not have the best, flattest or maintained roadways... sure the highways are flat and maintained but some of the local town roads are of course like most other areas = ratty, uneven and riddled with potholes (or potholes now filled with black tar asphalt patches that are above grade).

IMO, my 2016 EB w/PP was not as quiet as my 2018 EB w/PP... again, I think the 2018 has more sound deadening and other body assembly insulation than prior model years.

I say go drive some EB’s in person only because you’re definitely going to get varying opinions here or on any other forum, regardless of what year/make/model you’re thinking of buying.

Make no mistake though, if comparing the 2015-17 EB w/PP against the 2018 EB w/PP equipped with the 10R80, that trans will surprise you when you test drive it... it gets up and goes and the trans is amazing... you’ll go from 0-75 in a mere blink...

OP
OP
speedfrk

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I'd be getting a 6sp manual... I had the 10sp in a F150 and hated it. It was jerky and clunky shifting in the lower gears and was constantly skipping gears which would make it lurch when it hit the next gear. At any rate, my 15 Mustang was also a lemon. Driveline vibration, rattly interior panels, etc. Glad I didn't keep it.
I will go drive one. I found a 6sp PP fairly close by. If I do get it, I will negotiate the FP tune into the final price.

FalconRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang EB
EB with performance pack owner

Best advice go to a dealer and drive them back to back.

What the performance pack is: unique front air splitter; larger radiator (GT part); upsized rear sway bar (GT part); heavy-duty front springs (GT part); unique chassis tuning; larger brake rotors with 4-piston calipers (GT part); 19" Ebony Black-painted aluminum wheels with 255/40R19 summer-only tires; unique electric power-assisted steering, ABS and electronic stability control tuning; Engine Turn aluminum dash panel; Gauge Pack (oil pressure and boost); spoiler delete; and 3.55:1 gear ratio with limited-slip rear differential (n/a with optional wheels)

Also not that you will use it but the top speed of the base is limited to 121 mph, PP is higher.​

A1) people have asked me if it’s lowered but I think it’s an optical illusion because of the black 19” wheels and smaller sidewall on the tires.

A2) As for ride quality, the EB w/PP has upgraded breaks, springs, sway bars same as the base GT. I debated going stock EB and then spend the money saved to upgrade down the road but to me there was a big difference in how the car felt when I drove them back to back.

EB w/PP vs EB base
  • Stops better (Wider summer only tires, bigger breaks)
  • Less break dive (stiffer springs, stiffer tire sidewalls) Note: if you go to the base GT you have the extra weight up front that will cause it to dive a little more than EB w/PP
  • Body roll is less (stiffer springs, sway bars, tire sidewall)
  • Acceleration is better (255 summer only tire, 3.55 rear dif, stiffer rear suspension)

I think if you drive them you will like the EB w/PP better than the base EB. The price of the performance pack for what you get is a good deal. If you want an even more aggressive set up then go with the base and upgrade it.

However, if you have the money to go with a base GT, you can always upgrade the wheels and tires down the road. Maybe stiffer springs to help with the extra weight up front and the extra power out back.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I'll confirm what @Cobra Jet said - I think the EBPP is slightly lowered, but only as much as Ford would lower a car. The EBPP and GTPP are both about the same. To me, the part most likely to scrape on a driveway is the front splitter. I believe it's the same as the GTPP, and larger than the standard GT or EB. This is the part I have to think about at certain intersections with a steep downward street meeting a level street. I'm sure you do the same thing with your driveway - come in at about a 45* angle, then straighten out as you go up. I have to do the same with my driveway that isn't super steep. My previous DD Honda Fit Sport would also scrape the air dam if I didn't come in at an angle.

Otherwise, my car is really quiet, and the ride quality is outstanding - note that I have Magneride so that may play in vs. normal dampers.

I briefly drove a non-PP EB Premium with the 19" silver wheels / AS tires, and I thought it drove well at city-street speeds. I drove it to get a feel for the A10, so the suspension feel wasn't my focus, but it was a decent car. I knew I was going to buy a PP+MR, though.

That test drive sold me on the A10 - I'm sure the calibration is completely different than the F-150, so if you had any doubt I'd say drive one before you write it off.

EDIT: took out the part about the GT-PP2 being lowered beyond a normal GTPP because I haven't been able to confirm.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
speedfrk

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I'll confirm what @Cobra Jet said - I think the EBPP is slightly lowered, but only as much as Ford would lower a car. The EBPP and GTPP are both about the same, and the GTPP Level 2 is another half inch lower still. To me, the part most likely to scrape on a driveway is the front splitter. I believe it's the same as the GTPP, and larger than the standard GT or EB. This is the part I have to think about at certain intersections with a steep downward street meeting a level street. I'm sure you do the same thing with your driveway - come in at about a 45* angle, then straighten out as you go up. I have to do the same with my driveway that isn't super steep. My previous DD Honda Fit Sport would also scrape the air dam if I didn't come in at an angle.

Otherwise, my car is really quiet, and the ride quality is outstanding - note that I have Magneride so that may play in vs. normal dampers.

I briefly drove a non-PP EB Premium with the 19" silver wheels / AS tires, and I thought it drove well at city-street speeds. I drove it to get a feel for the A10, so the suspension feel wasn't my focus, but it was a decent car. I knew I was going to buy a PP+MR, though.

That test drive sold me on the A10 - I'm sure the calibration is completely different than the F-150, so if you had any doubt I'd say drive one before you write it off.
My driveway actually drops down at a sharp angle so it's not the splitter that drags, its the underside of the car. Going in at an angle helps but there is an absolute ride height that it has to have to not scrape going over the rain gutter.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the EBPP rides higher than the GTPP by a healthy amount just from eyeballing it. I guess I need to go measure.
Sounds like you need to have your driveway re-contoured as a matter of principle.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
the EBPP rides higher than the GTPP by a healthy amount just from eyeballing it. I guess I need to go measure.
Sounds like you need to have your driveway re-contoured as a matter of principle.
I have been lined up with GTs, GTs wPP, base EB and my EB wPP. I have never measured but i have never noticed a difference in ride height between any of the variations.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Another happy 2018 EB PP owner here. I've owned it 16 mos and 23K miles. Not one issue. My car is an absolutely base car, with the PP being the only option it has. The PP suspension is a great street suspension. Firm enough to feel sporty, but still very comfortable for long trips. 6 spd shifts great. I can get just over 30 mpg on the hwy. I do the occasional HPDE, so I upgraded the front brakes to the GT PP 6 piston Brembos, and I installed a much larger than stock intercooler. Other than that, bone stock and loving it.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I really need to dyno the EB+PP shocks because they are clearly better (or in concert with the EB's lower weight) feel that way vs the GT+PP setup. The EB+PP is quite acceptable. It could be better, sure but the GT+PP is surprisingly lousy.

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I'm happy with the way my 17 EB base with perf pack rides and handles. It's probably a little stiff for some peoples' tastes as a DD, but they don't have to drive it, I do. If I have to have a little less cushy ride over potholes in order to get flat cornering, I'm good with that.

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
I guess I'm in the minority here as I like my '16 EB PP car. The ride is firm but not harsh (trust me, I know harsh, my '93 Lightning will beat you up something terrible on short trips), my auto transmission doesnt do any funky stuff unless I'm in S+ and do something weird with the throttle (I've heard several guys say the Ford Performance tune will fix that), there isnt any interior rattling, but the road noise is higher than I would like. But that really started after this last set of tires got about 20K miles on them.
I thought I had read one time it sits 1/2" lower than a base model car, but I've never checked, and that may have just been someone's opinion. I know it handles way better than anything else we have in the driveway.

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
I love my 18 EB PP, ride is good. If you want a sedan feeling, go with the standard shocks. The PP feels more sporty, I don’t think is harsh at all.

But that’s just me.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Just drove 2000 miles in my EcoBoost PP (Took gold at Minneapolis MCA National). The ride was relatively comfortable depending on roads.
The chin splitter on the PP Package is actually higher above the ground than my 2013 Non-PP Mustang, so clearance should not be a great problem.

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
The EB Performance Package is too conservative IMO, I will be upgrading to the Ford Performance track suspension down the line. It is NOT like the Nismo 370z suspension or anything like that, the EB PP is softer than the stock 370z.
Sponsored