Sponsored

E85 on Mostly Stock GT?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just curious - are there real gains to be realized running an E85 tune on an otherwise mostly stock GT? I just have a catback.

Is anything other than a tune needed? I read a few times as long as you’re stock to mostly stock you don’t need larger injectors and just need the tune.

At what point are bigger injectors required? CAI and catback? Or is that OK on stock injectors?

I assume one you swap intake manifolds or install longtubes you would need to up the injector size.

What’s everyone’s input on a straight E85 tune versus flex fuel? For a mostly stock car it seems like if E85 wasn’t available it could be flashed back to stock.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
An e85 tune will increase HP with no other mods. You don’t need to up injector to you have a good bit of mods. Headers, manifold. Your tuner will tell you when your running out of injector. Flex fuel is the way to go. Long trips. You may not come across a station that stocks e85. so you just fill with 93 and don’t worry.

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
On my 2018 i went with the Lund E85R tune. Bone stock mine dynoed at 399 wheel(low because it hit the speed,limiter at 5600rpm and couldnt make a full redline pull.) Its average to dyno about 415 or so with a manual 2018 from my understanding with ONLY the speed limiter removed. After the E85 tune(and speed limiter removed) it put down 460 wheel.

Track times saw a big gain. I have two tracks that i have run my car at while bone stock. One track is a local track and is about the same as running on the street. No prep, they dont scrape the track, bare minimum safety equiptment, doubt their machinery has been calibrated in a LONG time, etc etc. I have another track a few hours away that i have run at that is more legitimate and runs faster.

Local track my best bone stock was 13.4 and after e85 was 12.4

I have yet to run on the "better" track, but I would assume i should see around the 12.1 area (high 11's would make me pretty happy for a tune only e85 car)

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Flex fuel is good for in-between fuel ups. Swapping back to the 93 tune or E85 tunes are preferred, but you can drive on Flex if you want to. Sometimes the learn value can be a little off on the alch% on the Ngauge if you have that, but the car corrects itself in fueling. It has the same high rpm benefits that E85 does, but not the low end grunt that it has. The timing is more aggressive down low on the E85 tune.

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Yes you will see improvement. 2018 car here on lund's flex and E85R tunes. Noticeable pickup across the board, and I was on a 93 tune before. The only downside is your MPG's will be absolute shit but oh well.

Sponsored

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
Night and day difference on E85R or Flex. It was my first mod on my 2018 GT. Immediately following that I got suspension mods lol

Edit: Also you don't need anything to run on E85, just the tune. Some recommend running a tank of 91/93 through it after 3-4 months but personally I don't think thats necessary but if it makes you feel better go for it

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
I'm amazed with all the people running E85 in their cars these days. I did a search for stations on the web near me and the closest one is 25 miles away. Unless there's a station close by, I'll never end up getting an E85 tune. Some of you guys must be traveling a long ways to get this stuff. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but when you DD your Mustang, it doesn't seem to be a good alternative.

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
I'm amazed with all the people running E85 in their cars these days. I did a search for stations on the web near me and the closest one is 25 miles away. Unless there's a station close by, I'll never end up getting an E85 tune. Some of you guys must be traveling a long ways to get this stuff. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but when you DD your Mustang, it doesn't seem to be a good alternative.

For me I have several stations all around me. Closest one is about a mile or so from my house, and a few options along my daily route as well. That being said again, if you cant get it that often the flex would benefit here so you could run 93 when you want and fill up on E85 when you were able to. However its not for everyone, FL seems to have many E85 options for those living in the tourist cities so this benefits people like me, it wont be the best option for everyone based on your situation.

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
Oh I don't DD mine anymore(8100 miles after 16 months) but even when I did I still didnt mind. I now have a quality E85 station 4 miles from my house so I'm ultra spoiled now though!

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
E85 3 miles from my house on way to/from work. Can't wait and still trying to use up the rest of my 93 gas before switching the tune over. Seems like my gas will not ever run out now that I am watching and waiting for it to get to 0 miles to empty. Doesn't help that my commute is only 8 miles.

Sponsored

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
I'm fortunate that there's an E85 station in every town within 100 miles of my house. The closest is 3 miles away.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious - are there real gains to be realized running an E85 tune on an otherwise mostly stock GT? I just have a catback.

Is anything other than a tune needed? I read a few times as long as you’re stock to mostly stock you don’t need larger injectors and just need the tune.

At what point are bigger injectors required? CAI and catback? Or is that OK on stock injectors?

I assume one you swap intake manifolds or install longtubes you would need to up the injector size.

What’s everyone’s input on a straight E85 tune versus flex fuel? For a mostly stock car it seems like if E85 wasn’t available it could be flashed back to stock.
You would have no problem running an E85 tune on a stock 18+, the 15-17 require upgraded injectors.

Most CAI will require a tune. Headers and Catback will not.

As far as what fuel to run, that depends on what you have available.
I run straight E85. I keep my tuning device in the car so that I can make fuel adjustments if needed.
E85 is pretty impressive as a fuel and gets addictive. The power delivery is so much different, you will not want to use traditional gasoline afterwards.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
You would have no problem running an E85 tune on a stock 18+, the 15-17 require upgraded injectors.

Most CAI will require a tune. Headers and Catback will not.

As far as what fuel to run, that depends on what you have available.
I run straight E85. I keep my tuning device in the car so that I can make fuel adjustments if needed.
E85 is pretty impressive as a fuel and gets addictive. The power delivery is so much different, you will not want to use traditional gasoline afterwards.
15-17 only require injectors if on a aftermarket/18/gt350 intake allowing the revs to be bumped up 7,000+

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat

Only 3 stations around me with E85, 2 are 25miles from my house, 1 is 10 miles from work, I usually fill up once a week and keep 4 five gallon cans filled and use them to top off ..

It's 35 miles one way to work for me and keeping my foot off the gas I can average 20mpg. Normal driving is 17, driving like a maniac will drop it to 12.

On 93 I can get 23 driving normally.

With the current 90-cents per gallon spread I come out a little ahead running E85.

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
Well...if a gas station starts selling E85 within a few miles of me, then I'll consider doing an aftermarket E85 tune. From reading here since I have the GT350 mani, it looks like I'd need injectors also. Something I have to consider as well.
Sponsored