Sponsored

E85 flex tune for 350

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I love mine too. Just knowing my engine is not governed by 91 octane is a big deal. It is also turning out to be cheaper. While my mpg is approx. 25% lower, my price per gallon of e85 is 30% lower than premium.
Sponsored

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Good to hear.
I am loving my flex tune.
Per my butt dyno it picked torque below 3500 rpm for sure .
It trapped almost 116 mph in the 1/4 in almost 3000 DA with 5 gallons of E85 added to about 5 of 93 still in tanks vs the stock tune/100 octane which went 112 in 1300 DA.
Still same best ET of 12.4 since I had the stock tires (vs drag radials with the stock tune) and only managed 2.0-2.1. 60 ft times be 1.9 with the drag radials .

I have since filled up twice nclose to empty with E85 and itn feels even stronger on the top end so it may even trap higher .
I had to go back a couple of pages to realize you are the guy who was on the fence about getting the flex tune. It is really a non-issue in the sense that you just fill up the tank and drive. Once you're tuned having the Ngauge stuck to the windshield is strictly optional. My last five tanks have been at the same station and alcohol % has been 78+-1% every time so I'm happy. I have run it down each time to the point that the fuel warning comes on. Each time I fill the tank it tells me I have 165 miles to empty.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Good to hear.
It trapped almost 116 mph in the 1/4 in almost 3000 DA with 5 gallons of E85 added to about 5 of 93 still in tanks vs the stock tune/100 octane which went 112 in 1300 DA.
Still same best ET of 12.4 since I had the stock tires (vs drag radials with the stock tune) and only managed 2.0-2.1. 60 ft times be 1.9 with the drag radials .

I have since filled up twice nclose to empty with E85 and itn feels even stronger on the top end so it may even trap higher .
So, you ran 100 octane on stock tune and Lund tune? Have you tried 100% race fuel and 100% E85? Any difference to be noticed?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Yes ,100 octane on the stock tune and 50/50-93 and E85 with flex tune but different days .
I am all for experimenting at the strip .lol

Since I have 10 gallons of 100 octane sitting around in my garage(I just switched my Hellion car to E85) I might as well.

I also have 3 gallons left of Ms109 so will also like to see what that makes with the flex tune(is that what you are asking ?)

I know E85 is supposed to be like 105 octane but I suspect the octane is higher based on the trap differences I have seen between cars similar to mine running e85 vs when I ran race gas in my Hellion (114 vs 109 in the 1/8 and 139-140 vs 145 in the 1/4)
At least that is what I am hoping is the only difference .

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I run Sunoco 260GT 100 octane. I'm not so sure E85 is going to gain much if any in additional hp if it offeres addition octane. It will come to a point where the octane rating stops making additional hp.

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Don't you have an E85 tune in your signature ?
When tuned for it in FI applications,E85 will make a lot more powers than a"105 octane gas let alone 100.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I run Sunoco 260GT 100 octane. I'm not so sure E85 is going to gain much if any in additional hp if it offeres addition octane. It will come to a point where the octane rating stops making additional hp.
cooling properties and more fuel volume supposedly makes the effective Octane higher than 105.

Car seems to remain strong even on hot days. was very hot last two days. seems to be more resilient than 93.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Good to hear.

stock tune and 93 you really cant drop under 3600-3800 if you want any liveliness. I find the flexfuel tune makes it feel more like a normal v8 all the way down to 3200 or so and then really picks up at 4k, definitely pulling harder across the board. I spend way more time in 5th on the freeway now where before I would drop down to 4th all the time. with e85 floating 60-90 cents under 93 it really is a no brainer currently. I have found the variation of ethanol percent above 70ish largely irrelevant outside of my vacuum leak. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Sponsored

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
There is more to the story than just octane. Here is an excerpt from an article in Hot Rod that gives a nice summary:

"First, when you burn alcohol one of the byproducts of combustion is oxygen. This helps enhance the combustion process. Another is the cooling effect of alcohol as it “vaporizes” in the inlet track. This helps create denser air as the air/fuel charge enters the engine, another positive. The cooling effect also helps to cool the engine, at least on the inlet side of the equation. Remember, producing horsepower is all about creating and controlling heat.

Another positive feature about alcohol that is seldom discussed is that the incoming fuel charge, the mixture of air and alcohol, is easier to compress than a mixture of gasoline and air. The alcohol doesn’t vaporize as well or as completely as gasoline as it comes out of the carburetor or the injector. While gasoline forms a more complete vapor, alcohol forms a “vapor” made up of many very small droplets of fuel suspended in the incoming air/fuel stream entering the engine. Then during the compression stroke, the heat of simply compressing the incoming air/fuel mixture completes the vaporization process.

So, from a mechanical perspective, your engine uses a smaller percentage of the power it’s making to sustain continued operation. Long story short, an alcohol mixture takes less energy to compress than a gasoline mixture. And, as an added bonus the last vaporization step also helps to further cool the mixture. Remember, cool, in this case, is a relative term as compared to a gasoline mixture."

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Don't you have an E85 tune in your signature ?
When tuned for it in FI applications,E85 will make a lot more powers than a"105 octane gas let alone 100.
I had a E85 tune and I never tried E85. I run strictly Sunoco 260GT. My reason for not using it was because of its short life span while stored and lack of fresh E85 in my area. I'm worried of its water content. I know I can test it prior to fill up, but I'd rather not go through the hassle.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
There is more to the story than just octane. Here is an excerpt from an article in Hot Rod that gives a nice summary:

"First, when you burn alcohol one of the byproducts of combustion is oxygen. This helps enhance the combustion process. Another is the cooling effect of alcohol as it “vaporizes” in the inlet track. This helps create denser air as the air/fuel charge enters the engine, another positive. The cooling effect also helps to cool the engine, at least on the inlet side of the equation. Remember, producing horsepower is all about creating and controlling heat.

Another positive feature about alcohol that is seldom discussed is that the incoming fuel charge, the mixture of air and alcohol, is easier to compress than a mixture of gasoline and air. The alcohol doesn’t vaporize as well or as completely as gasoline as it comes out of the carburetor or the injector. While gasoline forms a more complete vapor, alcohol forms a “vapor” made up of many very small droplets of fuel suspended in the incoming air/fuel stream entering the engine. Then during the compression stroke, the heat of simply compressing the incoming air/fuel mixture completes the vaporization process.

So, from a mechanical perspective, your engine uses a smaller percentage of the power it’s making to sustain continued operation. Long story short, an alcohol mixture takes less energy to compress than a gasoline mixture. And, as an added bonus the last vaporization step also helps to further cool the mixture. Remember, cool, in this case, is a relative term as compared to a gasoline mixture."
I'm aware of all of that. But my only concern is storage. For me race fuel is the best choice. I'd be interested to see same day, same engine/car, same dyno results between both E85 and 100+ race fuel. I think the gains are very slim over one another if any.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm aware of all of that. But my only concern is storage. For me race fuel is the best choice. I'd be interested to see same day, same engine/car, same dyno results between both E85 and 100+ race fuel. I think the gains are very slim over one another if any.
Yes. We're in very different situations. For me e85 is cheap and readily available. Not so with race gas. Given that my only other alternative is 91 e85 is a godsend.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Yes. We're in very different situations. For me e85 is cheap and readily available. Not so with race gas. Given that my only other alternative is 91 e85 is a godsend.
I agree 100%. If I had the time to enjoy my car more I'd definitely be using E85:thumbsup:
I received my car on 12-2-15 and to date I have 217 miles on it lol. That's hopefully going to change soon.
Sponsored