ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Hi all,

In preparation for potentially putting my car into NASA TT3, I got dynoed this weekend when I was at NCM on a mobile Dynojet. My car is mostly stock in terms of powertrain with the exception of a FP filter (which I expect to have no effect at all) and, significantly, Proflex Commander. I was running E85 on the dyno (app showed ~74% ethanol). Across 3 pulls all within 2 hp peak, my hp peak was 451 at the wheels. If that were on 93, I would have thought it's maybe a few low, but I was quite surprised at that number on E85. For the dyno, I pulled the dyno plug, so I don't think it was a stability control issue, and the pull was done in 5th gear. If it matters, wheels were Apex SM10s in 11.5" width wearing 305mm SC2s. The car (2020 base) has over 22k miles, so it's fully broken in. Oil temps were around 195 pulling onto the dyno. Ambient temps were cool at ~50*F.

In the coming weeks, I may take the car to a local dyno running on 93 fumes, dyno it, add E85 and stabilize, then run again to see if Proflex is making any difference at all. I see 2 possibilities here:

1 - My 93 octane RWHP will be even lower making me think I have a factory "weakling"
2 - There will be little to no difference between the two, meaning Proflex and E85 are doing nothing.

Any thoughts? Anything I'm missing? Are my numbers actually ok and expectations were too high?
Sponsored

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
No headers? It would be good to see your graph, but your peak HP seems about right if stock headers. I was 471 on full bolt-ons. Ported intake, TB, Kook 1 7/8 (Catted), Borla s-type, steea pro-flow closed airbox without insert. Pump ethanol testing at around 71%. About 31 degrees of timing. Of course you'll find some people higher but I ended up convinced my numbers were sounds. (SAE horsepower)

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
Hi all,

In preparation for potentially putting my car into NASA TT3, I got dynoed this weekend when I was at NCM on a mobile Dynojet. My car is mostly stock in terms of powertrain with the exception of a FP filter (which I expect to have no effect at all) and, significantly, Proflex Commander. I was running E85 on the dyno (app showed ~74% ethanol). Across 3 pulls all within 2 hp peak, my hp peak was 451 at the wheels. If that were on 93, I would have thought it's maybe a few low, but I was quite surprised at that number on E85. For the dyno, I pulled the dyno plug, so I don't think it was a stability control issue, and the pull was done in 5th gear. If it matters, wheels were Apex SM10s in 11.5" width wearing 305mm SC2s. The car (2020 base) has over 22k miles, so it's fully broken in. Oil temps were around 195 pulling onto the dyno. Ambient temps were cool at ~50*F.

In the coming weeks, I may take the car to a local dyno running on 93 fumes, dyno it, add E85 and stabilize, then run again to see if Proflex is making any difference at all. I see 2 possibilities here:

1 - My 93 octane RWHP will be even lower making me think I have a factory "weakling"
2 - There will be little to no difference between the two, meaning Proflex and E85 are doing nothing.

Any thoughts? Anything I'm missing? Are my numbers actually ok and expectations were too high?
Sounds a bit low but ambient conditions, the guy operating the equipment, and the equipment itself can change things quite a bit. Changing all 3 of those variables by going to your local shop means you can't compare the numbers. At all. I know you mentioned possibly running 93 and e85 at the same place. If you're worried about it, then you could conceivably compare those if you're careful.

My local shop uses a Mustang dyno, and it repeatedly breaks people's egos who are used to a dynojet with an operator who's good at tweaking numbers.

On an otherwise stock motor running 93, I'd think a realistic 450-460 is plenty healthy.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
Nobody tuned it - Proflex Commander flex tune. No headers either.

It was 53.5*F, 29.59 in-Hg, 9% humidity. 0.96 SAE correction applied, smoothing set at 5.

I have heard that Dynojets give more conservative numbers, and that's fine. I agree that 451 RWHP stock would be ok. I was just not expecting to see that on E85.

And yes, I'd have to do both runs same place to compare apples to apples, I understand.

20220328_133710.jpg

Sponsored

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Nobody tuned it - Proflex Commander flex tune. No headers either.

It was 53.5*F, 29.59 in-Hg, 9% humidity. 0.96 SAE correction applied, smoothing set at 5.

I have heard that Dynojets give more conservative numbers, and that's fine. I agree that 451 RWHP stock would be ok. I was just not expecting to see that on E85.

And yes, I'd have to do both runs same place to compare apples to apples, I understand.

20220328_133710.jpg
Your gains from E85 would come with increased timing from a tune/different injectors. Without this you do not gain nearly as much.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
The Proflex Commander is what's supposed to adjust the timing (bigger injectors are not needed). https://www.advancedfueldynamics.com/products/collections-e85-flex-fuel-ford-mustang-gt350-gt350r
Yes but the factory ECU will only adjust somewhat for timing like the same it does on race gas with a factory tune. The true gains come from a custom tune adjusting different parameters. The 50-55whp gains they claim is not reasonable at all. Gains like that come from an E85 tune along with longtubes and a JLT intake.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
While each motor is different, it sounds like you need a custom tuner either in person or online to take a look at where you can get more power.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Nobody tuned it - Proflex Commander flex tune.
There's your problem. The PC is mainly snake oil, like one of those plug in tuners that gain you 100hp and 100mpg.

In order for you to gain anything from E85 you need an actual tune.

This.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
I didn't expect custom tune levels of power (I'm using Proflex rather than a custom tune because it's removable for warranty purposes without a footprint), nor did I believe the 50 RWHP claims. When standing by the dyno I was making predictions with friends and made the lowest one, expecting maybe 10-15 RWHP incremental. Sadly, I was still disappointed. The benefit appears to be near zero unless I'm making less power than most on 93, which is why I need to check that scenario back to back.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
And that's what I want to find out. If it does nothing, I'll pull it, stop messing with E85 for now, and provide back to back dyno results for this community so there's impartial evidence of efficacy (or lack thereof).

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
And that's what I want to find out. If it does nothing, I'll pull it, stop messing with E85 for now, and provide back to back dyno results for this community so there's impartial evidence of efficacy (or lack thereof).
I mean, that's very cavalier of you to spend $900 of your hard earned money, plus several dyno sessions etc. to show the community little to no gains from this product.

However, we could have saved you all that trouble and told you from the get go that it's a big waste of time and money as this particular product is mainly a scam. You're not the first here to try one of these "chips" that you just plug into your OBD2 and magically get 50hp with no tuning.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Only gains would be from hitting mbt if 93 wasn't enough. A few street pulls with a log and bit of review would show if you needed more octane before buying parts/ fuel change.

E85 may provide more consistency in high heat and long wot runs

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
E85 may provide more consistency in high heat and long wot runs
Sure, there's certainly some benefits of running E85 over pump gas even if it shows 0 power increase especially in his situation of doing road racing.

However, $900 for that is kinda steep if you ask me even if it means saving your warranty. A simple and safe $500 flex/E85 tune from Lund would have provided him the same cooling benefits and actually seen a power increase.
Sponsored