Sponsored

Dyno graph and analysis for future mods

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
So i finally got around to doing a dyno run, car was running on 95RON boosted to around 97RON using an ethanol race fuel blend. Here is the result:

IMG_0354 (2).jpg

A quick conversion for you guys using imperial, 377 LB/Ft Torque and 312HP at the wheels.
This was around the average result of multiple runs, one was around 325HP but the torque was lower so i just threw that out as an error run. The small spike seems to be the ECU trying to dial things back (possibly due to temps or overboost).

My feelings before hand was that the car had a lot (maybe too much) torque early on because i would often break traction at full throttle at low speeds even with Pirelli P-Zero summer tyres. As the RPM climbs power steadily tapers off and basically hits a brick wall towards redline. Though it manages to hold power a lot better than other ecoboosts ive seen with other non factory supported tunes.

Just some background, this is a Roush Level 1 tuned Ecoboost (automatic), it has the CAI, Axle back exhaust, tune (23PSI) and a garret intercooler. I dont track this car, but i do some spirited driving with it in the summer.

Im quite happy with it, but it would be nice to have the power increase a bit more linearly towards redline but of course it seems as this is close to the limit of the stock turbo, anymore boost and i think the power drop-off would be more pronounced.
Really the best option seems a turbo upgrade like the Turbonetics NX2.

I spoke to a few tuners and i get conflicting info, some tell me theres no way to really improve past 5500rpm since the head doesnt flow well enough and that on pump gas that im not going to see much more power on the NX2 anyway and its going to just boost my mid range further where power is already strong.
Another tuner told me its definitely doable to get a nice linearly increase up to near redline on the NX2 on pump gas, at the expense of some mid range torque. Almost everybody tells me the injectors are going to be working really hard on a 400HP tune. Personally im more worried about the strength of the block and the head gasket when running the NX2.

So where to from here ? Turbo upgrade ? Other mods ? Leave it as is ?
Im leaning towards a mild tune on an NX2, but id like to know what other Ecoboost owners think.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The factory turbo is "too small" which was a deliberate engineering choice to get the boost on early and heavy. If you want the power to climb mostly to redline you need a bigger turbo. You are wise to consider how fragile the EB block is.

Leave it alone already or buy a better block / engine.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
So i finally got around to doing a dyno run, car was running on 95RON boosted to around 97RON using an ethanol race fuel blend. Here is the result:
Thanks for sharing your research. I've had the 400hp target in mind since day one and your comments seem to match what I understand to be the situation. Mainly, that the NX2 is necessary to get there, and 400hp is really the limit for the stock injectors.
The car seems relatively easy to get close to 400hp. My plan (if I ever squirrel away the money) is to go NX2, decent intercooler, 3 inch downpipe with a conservative custom tune.

Bedwelljp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 ecoboost Mustang
Thanks for sharing your research. I've had the 400hp target in mind since day one and your comments seem to match what I understand to be the situation. Mainly, that the NX2 is necessary to get there, and 400hp is really the limit for the stock injectors.
The car seems relatively easy to get close to 400hp. My plan (if I ever squirrel away the money) is to go NX2, decent intercooler, 3 inch downpipe with a conservative custom tune.
I am thinking of doing the same, bigger turbo that is. From all the info I have seen and having a long talk with Pumaspeed, 400hp is the safe limit for the block and fuel delivery. Anything over that means lots of money spending on further major upgrades.
Sponsored