Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
  • Banned
Hey Guys & Gals,

Back in 2012, not long after the Gen 1 Coyote Mustangs began prowling the streets I saw a pearl White Mustang GT with what I would call kind of an "Ox Blood Red" leather interior. I thought it looked fantastic and I have wanted that color leather interior since then. The interior of that car may not have been a factory leather option?

Anyway, I bought my 2016 GT a little over a year ago, and I was pretty happy with the factory black leather interior. BUT, as my soon-to-be ex-wife would tell you, I can never leave my cars alone until they are my version of perrrrfect.

I was thinking of going with having my seats re-covered in Katzkins red leather, but that was going to cost me somewhere around $1,500 with materials and labor to have a local shop do it. I would rather put that money towards a ProCharger set-up sometime soon, so I decided to dye my leather seats from black to red.

There are many YouTube videos on how to dye leather seats, and I chose to go with a product called ColorBond.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6IHTYA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First off, I am very pleased with this color choice, but it is not as bright red as the factory 'red showstopper' leather interior, but it is more like the Ox blood red I mentioned above. ColorBond has many different reds/colors to choose from.

As we get started here are the materials I used:

1. 5 cans of ColorBond leather/vinyl dye (the front seats/headrests took me just over one full can)
2. Respirator - absolutely necessary!!!!
3. Scotch-brite pad
4. Glass cleaner (with ammonia)
5. 91% - 99% rubbing alcohol
6. 2-3 Microfiber towels
7 Duct tape (Gorilla tape if you can find it in your area)
8. Masking tape
9. Heat gun/hair dryer
10. Fabric color marker, x2
11. Plastic sheeting, 9'x12', cut into sections

Remove the seats from the car. I'm not going to explain this, other than remove the headrests prior to removing the seats from the car. To remove the headrests, press the tabs on each side of the extension arms and pull up. Removing the headrests gives you more room to work with, and you will need to removed them for dying.

Cover anything else in the immediate vicinity of where you will be spraying the dye.
20181207_160539.jpg

Once the seats are out, you will need to clean them before applying the dye. Use a clean microfiber towel, first spray the seats liberally with glass cleaner containing ammonia. The ammonia does a great job of removing grease/oils. Do this twice and then let the seats dry thoroughly. Use your heat gun/hair dryer to speed this up if you want.

20181207-160255.jpg

Do the same as above with another clean microfiber towel and rubbing alcohol. DO NOT pour rubbing alcohol directly on the seat; apply rubbing alcohol to your towel and then go over the entire seat with firm pressure. Do this at least twice, especially if you have recently moisturized your seats with some kind of leather conditioner.

20181207-160249.jpg

This part may seem a bit barbaric, but you need to do it. The only part of the front & rear seats of the factory "leather" interiors of our cars is the center sections of the FRONT seats. Everything else is vinyl. Now that the seats have been cleaned/degreased, you will need to scuff the leather center sections of the front seats with the Scotch-brite pad to prepare the leather to accept the new color. Don't worry about this; leather is very, very tough material that is why it has been in use for thousands of years. Only scuff the center sections of the seats. Do NOT scuff the vinyl sections of the seats!

You don't need to go crazy with this step, just a good scuffing. You'll notice in the picture, I have already started to re-dye the seat, that is because I forgot to take a pic before I started.

20181207-160316.jpg

20181207-160308.jpg

After scuffing the seats, wipe them down again with rubbing alcohol.

Now you are done with the prep phase...
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
VooDooDaddy

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
  • Banned
Now it's time to get masking.

I could not get regular masking tape to stick to the vinyl surfaces that make up the vast majority of our seats. Matter-of-fact, the only tape I could find that would stick to the seats to begin the masking is duct tape, more specifically Gorilla Tape. It does not want to bend around corners, so I had to tear it into many, many, many smaller strips to go around all the corners of the seat seams and headrests. This is a bit tedious and time consuming, but there was no other way.

20181207-160351.jpg

20181207-160333.jpg

I will admit, my masking job left a little to be desired on my first attempt on the front passenger seat. In a few areas I could have been more precise in my placement of the duct tape, and prevented some "bleed-over" on the transition seams.

Once the seat is masked off to your liking, you can begin to apply plastic sheeting to the sides/top/bottom of the seats using regular masking tape. It doesn't have to be blue, painters tape as I used. Any masking tape will work. The masking tape sticks to the duct tape you have already applied.

20181207_160506.jpg

OP
OP
VooDooDaddy

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
  • Banned
Now it's time to start spraying the dye.

20181207-160217.jpg

If like me, you are going to dye your black seats a different color, this is going to take anywhere from 15-20 light coats to achieve the desired results. If you were going from a light color, say beige to black or beige to red, then this process would not require as many coats.

VERY IMPORTANT: Use many, light coats. DO NOT over-apply the dye!!!
VERY IMPORTANT: You need to wear a respirator. This stuff is not your everyday Krylon product. It is much thicker and more toxic. Buy/wear a respirator. Any auto parts store that sells automotive paint should sell professional quality respirators.

20181207-160325.jpg

While holding the can 7-9 inches from the surface of the seat, start spraying a light, misting coat onto the leather. Start with all of the seams first, then move inward to do the entire surface. Let the light coat dry for at least one minute, then do another light coat going in the opposite direction to the first coat. Basically up/down, then right/left.
20181207-160227.jpg

Here is where a heat gun/hair dryer pays off. This dye will dry completely within one minute of you applying it, but a heat gun allows you to work much faster and apply the necessary number of coats in a shorter amount of time. Just don't over-do the heat!!
20181207-160242.jpg

As you apply the first 3-4 coats, you will not be happy with the results. Give it time, and keep repeating the process. It takes time and repeated coats to cover the much darker black color. The picture below shows my progress after 3-4 light misting coats of dye. Not pretty:
20181206-144746.jpg

20181206-144753.jpg

OP
OP
VooDooDaddy

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
  • Banned
In the next picture I have applied 10-12 light coats of dye. Here is where you can start to see the color change happening. Use the heat gun, and keep applying light coats.
20181205-195044.jpg

Take your time and here is what you will get in the end.
20181205-201055.jpg

LOOKS PRETTY DAMNED GOOD...!!!

OP
OP
VooDooDaddy

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
  • Banned
FINISHING TOUCHES

Now that the seat(s) are finished with the color change, you can also color the stitching as well.

I used a fabric color marker I found at Hobby Lobby. I actually purchased two markers to make sure I could do all the stitching on all the seats.

The process is pretty straight-forward. No need to mask anything off, just go over the stitching in a back n forth, back n forth motion on each individual stitch and work your way around the seat. With these fabric markers there is no need to go back an wipe any excess away, as the sharp point of the marker allows good, precise contact with the stitch. And if you happen to touch the marker to the black vinyl adjacent to the stitching, it will not show up anyway.

20181207-160110.jpg

20181207_161336.jpg

From this:
20181207-160135.jpg

To this:
20181207-160116.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
VooDooDaddy

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
  • Banned
Once everything is done, it's time to re-install the seat(s).

I love the look and I love the fact that it took $100-$120 in materials, and only a few hours of my time.

20181207-231706.jpg

Next weekend, I'm going to re-dye the door panel inserts and the center console lid.

Last edited:

Pagey

PonyGP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT w/Black roof
Thanks for the write up. I’m thinking of doing somenthing like this with my door panels
FA95773C-9EB4-4837-822E-8456EE882C88.png

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Curious to see over time If you get any paint transfer to your clothing and how the overall surface holds up.

When I think to dye esomething, the dye/color is absorbed into the material changing its color this way.

Going overtop and covering the underlying layer isn't dying it's more like applying it to the surface like a coating / paint which makes me wonder how durable it will be. It's not IN the leather, it's only ON the leather/vinyl.

Looks fantastic though, great job. I want my seats to look like that!!!

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
Give us some status reports of the durability after a few months. Looks like you did a great job

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious - how’s the dye and seating surfaces holding up since you did the DIY?

Sponsored

Dragon2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris Dunnigan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Dang thats nice can you dye black stitches white then go back and add another color later? Thinking of changing my seat colors since I'm of work from covid 19.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@VooDooDaddy

How is it holding up? Any wear from use? Any transfer of color to clothing?

Are you using standard leather cleaners to maintain?
Sponsored