Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
  • Banned
Im contemplating buying a GT500 stock SC. Whats the process of puting a GT500 oem sc on an ‘18 M6 5.0. I’m seeing them all over the place really cheap and I’m not looking to make gobs of power. About 600rwhp with as little work and effort as possible and it seems this is a good avenue.
All comments and advice welcomed
TIA
Sponsored

Delusioned

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I've seen a few "influencers" do the swap, but I've yet to see a proper build thread detailing the steps anywhere. I also don't think I've seen it done on an S550 specifically, the vids I've seen have been coyote swapped cars.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was looking into it about this time last year. I talked with a few places, power by the hour being one I can remember. The issue is getting it to fit with the GDI pump, lines, and injectors. I am sure it can be done, but I don't think it's super easy, and part of the reason the Gen 3 Coyote is able to run 12.5/1 compression is the direct injection, so I am not so sure I would go that route.

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
  • Banned
I was looking into it about this time last year. I talked with a few places, power by the hour being one I can remember. The issue is getting it to fit with the GDI pump, lines, and injectors. I am sure it can be done, but I don't think it's super easy, and part of the reason the Gen 3 Coyote is able to run 12.5/1 compression is the direct injection, so I am not so sure I would go that route.
Yeah I’m digging into it. It seems to be the biggest thing that holds it back from being a drop and go. Damn

Sponsored

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
  • Banned
So it seems JD customs makes a spacer for that work in easing the issue of the blower hitting the DI rails. Seems that this project might just have gotten easier. 👊🏼

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
For all the money and heartache you'd go through, I wouldn't do a GT500 hand me down unless it were VERY cheap and VERY easy.

If you're sinking money into a blower, get the best you can. I realize everyone's on a budget, but there's a reason that GT500 guys ditch the OE blower for Whipples and twins.

Ford has used the Eaton TVS platform for their blowers for some time. It's a Roots blower and although they've increased the volume to 2.65 for the last gen, it's still fairly undersized compared to the top dawg aftermarket model(s) (which is key in a positive displacement blower). Additionally, it's roots so it's not as efficient as a twin screw, meaning it has to generate more heat and parasitic loss for the equivalent output compared to a twin screw.

If you KNOW that you never want to go above a certain HP level and you're okay with that, then a recycled blower setup may be the answer (and again at STEEP discount compared to all the other offerings).

Aside from the issues above (with DI, fitment, etc) the GT500 comes with an assload of cooling modifications that the original donor car may not be including as well. Roots blowers need more cooling to keep from IAT issues.

Honestly, it's tough to beat an ESS kit right now. I can't imagine you'll do a GT500 OE blower swap (with all the other nickels and dimes) for cheaper than you can just buy a brand new ESS setup. The ESS camp is a bunch of nutswingers, eclipsed only by the Amsoil fan boys, but it's hard to argue with the value.

I offer that, because if I were on a strict budget but wanted boost, THAT would be my chief new option alternative. Then from there is Procharger, Whipple and twin setups being usually the most expensive.

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
  • Banned
For all the money and heartache you'd go through, I wouldn't do a GT500 hand me down unless it were VERY cheap and VERY easy.

If you're sinking money into a blower, get the best you can. I realize everyone's on a budget, but there's a reason that GT500 guys ditch the OE blower for Whipples and twins.

Ford has used the Eaton TVS platform for their blowers for some time. It's a Roots blower and although they've increased the volume to 2.65 for the last gen, it's still fairly undersized compared to the top dawg aftermarket model(s) (which is key in a positive displacement blower). Additionally, it's roots so it's not as efficient as a twin screw, meaning it has to generate more heat and parasitic loss for the equivalent output compared to a twin screw.

If you KNOW that you never want to go above a certain HP level and you're okay with that, then a recycled blower setup may be the answer (and again at STEEP discount compared to all the other offerings).

Aside from the issues above (with DI, fitment, etc) the GT500 comes with an assload of cooling modifications that the original donor car may not be including as well. Roots blowers need more cooling to keep from IAT issues.

Honestly, it's tough to beat an ESS kit right now. I can't imagine you'll do a GT500 OE blower swap (with all the other nickels and dimes) for cheaper than you can just buy a brand new ESS setup. The ESS camp is a bunch of nutswingers, eclipsed only by the Amsoil fan boys, but it's hard to argue with the value.

I offer that, because if I were on a strict budget but wanted boost, THAT would be my chief new option alternative. Then from there is Procharger, Whipple and twin setups being usually the most expensive.
Thanks for the info. Im open to other options. And honestly 650 whp is plenty for me. I’m not going to be racing for money and I’m not going to be “looking” for races. I’m 51 so something that I can have fun with every so often I’m good with. But I’ll definitely take a look at that ESS kit. I mean to be honest this is the first time I’m even contemplating FI. I’ve been a nitrous guy for decades. So it’ll be all new for me. Again thanks

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
12:1 compression

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for the info. Im open to other options. And honestly 650 whp is plenty for me. I’m not going to be racing for money and I’m not going to be “looking” for races. I’m 51 so something that I can have fun with every so often I’m good with. But I’ll definitely take a look at that ESS kit. I mean to be honest this is the first time I’m even contemplating FI. I’ve been a nitrous guy for decades. So it’ll be all new for me. Again thanks
Nitrous is quite the weapon on these cars too.... If you're interested in blowers there are many to chose from any they all work well. I'm actually pulling a blower off my car for twins because I want more than the blower can give me.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Nitrous is quite the weapon on these cars too.... If you're interested in blowers there are many to chose from any they all work well. I'm actually pulling a blower off my car for twins because I want more than the blower can give me.
I was thinking of doing nitrous down the road, but I’ve used nitrous only on auto cars and I know it’s safe but I don’t feel like I’d fair well in a manual with giggle juice. Nitrous incidents are 99.9% operator fault. So a SC set up seems the way to go.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Im contemplating buying a GT500 stock SC. Whats the process of puting a GT500 oem sc on an ‘18 M6 5.0. I’m seeing them all over the place really cheap and I’m not looking to make gobs of power. About 600rwhp with as little work and effort as possible and it seems this is a good avenue.
All comments and advice welcomed
TIA
The process is, don't. Just buy a tvs 2650 or whatever and put that in.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was thinking of doing nitrous down the road, but I’ve used nitrous only on auto cars and I know it’s safe but I don’t feel like I’d fair well in a manual with giggle juice. Nitrous incidents are 99.9% operator fault. So a SC set up seems the way to go.
full time power.... nothing wrong with that.
People here will recommend PD but anyone will suffice
The 2650 is what I have .

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I was going to suggest contacting Department of boost, but seems like they only make them up to 17 MY. Might still try contacting them being that this is their specialty.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Doesn't the GT500 have a clutch on the drive wheel? The DI in the way and it needing a spacer may make it too tall to fit in the bay without messing around with the mounts.

I'm contemplating getting a coyote powered F150 and throwing my 2650 on that instead.
Sponsored