Dumb SC question

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would like to respectfully disagree with those that are slighting the TVS 2650 rotor pack as a choice for you. I had the s197 GT500 in my signature with a 2.3 liter TVS that was north of 650WHP, the entire time I ran that. I relaize it may be an "apples to oranges" situation comparing a mod motor 5.4 to a 5.0 Coyote, but the fact remains that the TVS 2.65 is very easily capable of 650WHP on pump 93 with Coyote cars. The Odin kit from VMP will do that all day long, so will the Edelbrock, and with a stick car, PD blowers are a good choice because of the low end torque which, as we all know, the Coyote is noted to be somewhat lacking in that department in N/A form. The centri blowers don't make much of a difference in low end torque because of the way they build power as the engine revs. If you are looking for a fun 650ish whp street car, don't sleep on the 2.65's. There are guys here on this forum that are north of 800whp on E85 whith TVS's and some touching 900whp. So 650 is well within a very afe range if you get a decent kit with a few supporting mods. If I were to shy away from any of them, it would be the Roush, and that is only because of the heat sink issues that kit has.
Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You can make around 1050 - 1100 on a 2650 with a GEN3. The problem is that he wants to use a GT500 specific blower that will require extensive modification to work on a GEN3 motor.

I have a EB2650 and it is great. At 650 wheel you don't even need but probably 9 psi. I easily made 700 wheel on 10-11 lbs of boost. They are efficient at these lower levels of boost which is what he wants.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Roots blowers have their place. As pointed out above, if you're not shooting for the moon, a 2650 is perfectly fine (AND you cool it properly). They just have less upside because of the slightly less volume and a bit more inefficiency (which grows up top beyond it's optimal range).

The whole point of roots blowers in the aftermarket and specialty trim community was that they're cheaper to manufacture than a twin screw (or turbo setup for that matter). They became popular in racing because they're easier to refresh with new seals. But manufacturers generally choose Eaton and TVS because the cost of manufacture.

If I could get one deeply discounted, I'd certainly rock one (especially if I wasn't chasing 4 digit power). But if I'm shelling out high single digit racks, I'm probably going to lean toward something that's new (less chance of issues) and while I'm at it, the better/best technology and has more upside to grow.

Like I said, earlier, if I was on a very tight budget, a gently used TVS of any gen is fine (so long as you provide proper cooling components). But unless it was for a steal, once we got into $5-$6k price range, I'd probably punt and just get the ESS setup. I know it's apples/oranges and delivers power differently, but that can be managed with gearing. And it doesn't come with a zillion hidden conflicts and fitment challenges. Probably the simplest setup of all to bolt on and go (outside of fuel system adjustments and tune).

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I would like to respectfully disagree with those that are slighting the TVS 2650 rotor pack as a choice for you. I had the s197 GT500 in my signature with a 2.3 liter TVS that was north of 650WHP, the entire time I ran that. I relaize it may be an "apples to oranges" situation comparing a mod motor 5.4 to a 5.0 Coyote, but the fact remains that the TVS 2.65 is very easily capable of 650WHP on pump 93 with Coyote cars. The Odin kit from VMP will do that all day long, so will the Edelbrock, and with a stick car, PD blowers are a good choice because of the low end torque which, as we all know, the Coyote is noted to be somewhat lacking in that department in N/A form. The centri blowers don't make much of a difference in low end torque because of the way they build power as the engine revs. If you are looking for a fun 650ish whp street car, don't sleep on the 2.65's. There are guys here on this forum that are north of 800whp on E85 whith TVS's and some touching 900whp. So 650 is well within a very afe range if you get a decent kit with a few supporting mods. If I were to shy away from any of them, it would be the Roush, and that is only because of the heat sink issues that kit has.
I have a reliable source of E85 5 min from the house so that the route I was definitely going even if I stayed NA.

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Im contemplating buying a GT500 stock SC. Whats the process of puting a GT500 oem sc on an ā€˜18 M6 5.0. Iā€™m seeing them all over the place really cheap and Iā€™m not looking to make gobs of power. About 600rwhp with as little work and effort as possible and it seems this is a good avenue.
All comments and advice welcomed
TIA
Waste of time. There are a dozen better and cheaper direct fit options out there.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I have a reliable source of E85 5 min from the house so that the route I was definitely going even if I stayed NA.
Keep in mind the fuel system upgrades you will need for e85 on boost when budgeting.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
For a 90% street car, nothing is more fun/beneficial than PD/TVS....... I don't care who TF you are trying to convince otherwise. You're wrong.

I was a centri nutswinger HARDCORE for 25 YEARS......Owned them all. A few turbo's as well..

I will never go back.

Now.....If I had a 10R80 car, a centrifugal would be a good alternative.

OP
OP
AZlb5.0

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
For a 90% street car, nothing is more fun/beneficial than PD/TVS....... I don't care who TF you are trying to convince otherwise. You're wrong.

I was a centri nutswinger HARDCORE for 25 YEARS......Owned them all. A few turbo's as well..

I will never go back.

Been doing research and yes, for the streets there is nothing better. But I was trying to stay on a budget, why I was looking at this as an option or an ESS so I could get it done like yesterday. My wife was knee deep into a remodel of our home. Why I couldnā€™t pay cash for the car. Now that itā€™s done I want to pay the car off asap. That will free up about and extra 600 dollars a month
My plan is to get wheels tires(which I have) and suspension (next project) done first with all the fuel upgrades that need to happen for E85 (pump injectors etc) and then throw that bad boy on. So to be really honest with myself Iā€™m looking at a 2.5 yr timeline to pay the car off and add a good 3.0 TVS. Just need to slow my roll and do it right.

Really appreciate the advice.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350

I will never go back.

I agree, I'm just looking at it from a purely low cost perspective. An ESS kit is better than N/A. I've done the whole "we can make it work" route before on a few things and they were all regrettable. From a time standpoint. From a frustration standpoint and ultimately from a "it would have been just as cheap to go........." standpoint.

If money and budgets aren't an obstacle, my advice would be different.

The GT500 program included significant cooling to support the TVS and if that doesn't come with it, you end up with a one hit wonder car that limps out for IAT's on hot days after one pull. I'm not TOTALLY in the know, but I don't think a lot of guys ditching the 2650 are ditching all the other parts/pieces that go with the full engineered system.
Sponsored