!@$% Dropped a rachet inside the fender

BillAz31

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
16 Roush Stq 3 (sold), VW Tiguan, Audi TTS,
Was installing the Redline hood strut kit in my 2016 and next thing I know my ratchet is sliding through the gap in the fender near the hinge. Is pulling the wheel well the best way to retrieve it? Now I know why people shove a towel there when working on the engine bay. One more rant: Who designed the plastic nut/clip that holds the battery cover on? I think I've dropped (4) now somewhere in the engine bay.

Bill
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I was under the impression that the fender liner just has to be pulled back enough to be able to reach in. IDK though as I haven't had to dig something out yet.
As for the fasteners, I started a thread about them last week.
Most said just order spares. Others just leave them out or use zip ties. After some research and other people's suggestions I came up with the idea of using jack nuts and thumb screws for a more permanent solution. If you find that thread I put the parts I think would work in a post.
In the end though I just ordered some spares.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BillAz31

BillAz31

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
16 Roush Stq 3 (sold), VW Tiguan, Audi TTS,
I tried a magnet on the end of a bungee. It kept adhere to the inner fender. I think I may need to pull the wheel well out. It sounds like it's at the very bottom of the fender. On the plus side, the Redline struts work as advertised. No more banging my head on the prop rod.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I did the same thing and used a telescope magnet to get it out, but as others have said, there are other ways.

I will always put a towel over that area now when working under the hood.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
This happened to me. I pulled the fender liner back by removing some clips. Got it out that way.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I dropped a little socket down into the front splitter pan while installing a CAI on my 2014 GT. I looked forever all over. I thought about taking the splitter pan off, but once I saw the like..20 bolts, I said forget it. Lost to the car gods.

sport160

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Its one of the most stupid designs Ive ever seen, I lost one of the battery clips down the gap on the 1st day I had the car, since then I always put blankets or towels over the gaps.

Sponsored

Bluezeke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zeke
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Lost my ratchet in the void within a month of owning the car. I did fender liner removal to retrieve.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I dropped a little socket down into the front splitter pan while installing a CAI on my 2014 GT. I looked forever all over. I thought about taking the splitter pan off, but once I saw the like..20 bolts, I said forget it. Lost to the car gods.
One of these?
74D60EEF-134A-44C0-9413-ADBA811B2E85.jpeg

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Two words: "grabber" and "magnet". LOL.

I swear that's what Ford makes most of their profits on: those battery clip things everyone loses, not the cars. Ford must sell billions every year.

The extending sticks with the magnets on the end: those work great on metal items. But sometimes things are too close and the magnet wants to stick to anything. Or it's not metal but plastic. That's where a grabber/claw works well.

I use fender skirts all the time now. As soon as the hood is open, the mats go down.