DRONE DRONE DRONE

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Thanks, ugstang. I thought the drone problem was not fixable. Drone from 1800 to 2200 RPM has been an issue on every Mustang I've owned, and that goes back to an 89 Fox.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, ugstang. I thought the drone problem was not fixable. Drone from 1800 to 2200 RPM has been an issue on every Mustang I've owned, and that goes back to an 89 Fox.
With a properly designed system that cancels drone frequencies, that will not happen. Midpipes do nothing on this car for drone, it's all about the axleback/resonator muffler design incorporating a Helmholtz resonator. Bottle resonators/stock suitcase and other perforated tubing+packing style resonators only cancel higher frequency content that creates rasp, and while reducing volume, can actually make drone worse in some cases (but not most).

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
"Every one you've owned"...you mean from the factory? My 18 GT stock and my 19 GT stock exhaust doesn't drone at all. Sounds fantastic. It's not too loud not super quiet. Back in the late 80's and early 90's, HS years, all my friends had cherry bomb mufflers on their 60's stangs and those things were crazy loud. I currently have an employee with a 14 GT who has an X pipe and for the life of me can't remember the exhaust brand but its so loud inside the cabin I refuse to ride with him. I needed a ride to pick up one of my work trucks from the shop a while back and had a customer calls at the same time. He was cruising at 45 in 6th gear and I literally could not hear anything my customer was saying with the phone smashed to my ear and the other ear covered. Man...I miss those days were I could stand that loud of an exhaust from inside the car lol. Guess I'm just getting too old idk

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
I have AWE Touring catback exhaust(er resonator back) and there's no drone. I will say that after I installed the blower and the tune, it became slightly louder but still no signs of drone.

I had Magnaflow axle-back exhuast on my otherwise-stock '13 GT. That thing gave me an enormous headache after half an hour of driving.

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I had SVE axlebacks and an MBRP X-pipe, the drone was horrible. I tried sound deadening and adding weights to the exhaust like the OEM’s do to change resonating frequencies but nothing helped. I bit the bullet and bought a Borla Atak axleback, even with the X-pipe it’s loud with no drone at all. I wish I had bought it the first time around.

Sponsored

AnthonyL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Premium GT
I have the Roush Catback with X-pipe. While it is loud it IMO doesn't drone. I can't stand drone and this is why I went through 3 systems on my charger before being happy. I travel 15 miles each way on the interstate for work an at 70mph I can hear the exhaust but no drone, 75mph dead quite, 80 hear no drone, 85 quite. Everyone's ear is different so if you can ride with someone first I would recommend that.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
What's a thule?

To the OP, I had basically the outlaw cat back on my last mustang, x pipe with super 10s or whatever they are, sounded awesome especially cold start and WOT. But I drive tons of hwy mileage and the drone did me in. 6th gear and anywhere in that 60 to 65 mph zone was unbearable.
I ended up getting borla s type. Zero drone.

On my new to me Mustang I went with corsa sport axle back and still have the factory suitcase. I might be moving soon so wanted to start quiet and go louder by replacing x pipe later if I want. At hwy speed there's zero drone. It's quieter than factory even when just cruising.

All that is a long way of saying, prob need new exhaust. Or drive in different gear than you are experiencing the drone
No, my point was that most people that want obnoxiously loud exhaust on the street are just wanting attention. The douche that drives around town reving his motor at every opportunity is my beef. A loud mustang is not always a fast car. More times than not it is a 13 second car. BFD.

To BmacIl comment/post, no, I will go to the drag strip and listen to open headers for my Dirty ears. I do not need nor want that kind of wot volume on the street. There is a reason we have noise restrictions. My old school super 44 two chambers (horrible flow ;) will drag your ass all day Buddy. Lol.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
@Razorbackfan: Some were factory exhaust, some not. The 89 Fox was bone stock. It droned. An '01 GT started stock and then got Magnaflow cat backs. Both systems droned. First '03 Cobra had Flowmasters. It droned. Second 03 Cobra started stock. It droned. Went to Magnaflow cat backs. Those droned, too. All of them in about the same RPM range.

The '16 GT has Magnaflow comp cat backs. Wayyyyyy too loud and it drones. I'm with Zinc03SVT on this one. Magnaflow street cat backs are in the garage to be installed promptly.

Flowmasters or Magnaflows on the 03 Cobra were plenty loud enough and flowed ok. Magnaflows noticeably better. The first Cobra with Flowmasters would pop the hoses off the exhaust differential pressure sensor and make 19 # of boost (Whipple 2.3 w/ 3 inch pulley). With Magnaflows on the other car, identical setup, no DP sensor hose issue and only 16 # of boost. About the same volume both systems. So, choice between Flowmasters and Magnaflows - it's Magnaflows.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
No, my point was that most people that want obnoxiously loud exhaust on the street are just wanting attention. The douche that drives around town reving his motor at every opportunity is my beef. A loud mustang is not always a fast car. More times than not it is a 13 second car. BFD.

To BmacIl comment/post, no, I will go to the drag strip and listen to open headers for my Dirty ears. I do not need nor want that kind of wot volume on the street. There is a reason we have noise restrictions. My old school super 44 two chambers (horrible flow ;) will drag your ass all day Buddy. Lol.
Wtf are you talking about? Nothing you replied has anything to do with what I wrote.

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
My exhaust is wake the dead loud and gets compliments all the time. However, when I first got it it droned like a big dog. About 200 miles later it got better. Now I don't even notice it.

Either the drone went away, or I'm going deaf from it. Either way, car sounds wicked! LOL.

With a muffler-delete exhaust, drone is an unavoidable side effect. I've had the Corsa Extremes before and they sounded nice, but didn't let enough noise into the car for me. AWE was my second choice behind what I went with. Borla's don't drone much. I've had the ATAK system on an F150 with the Coyote. Sounded awesome.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
My question would be, why? Is it the noise someone wants to hear, or what. So many Mustang people think that more noise makes more power. WRONG. On a radical NA car, yes, it can make a real difference. I still remember doing a dyno on my Roush supercharged '11. I did the dyno before and after putting headers on. Made almost no additional power. Though the headers gave more free flowing exhaust it also reduced boost because of the overlap on the stock cams. I lost 1.5 pounds of boost. But gained a LOT more noise.
As I have said many times, the proof is at the dragstrip. But, I was with the noise likers 40 years ago. Now ride quality, stereo and yes, still SPEED matters!

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Basically what Im asking is, is there any good dampening material anyone recommends to tone the cabin drone down?

You can waste time and money doing other stuff but welding in a Helmholtz resonator is the only thing that will eliminate drone from the Outlaws,, or any other exhaust that drones..

I have LT's and 3" O/R Outlaw catbacks and welded in a pair of 2.5" Vibrant mufflers and those killed 95% of the drone ... There is drone under load, like climbing a hill in high gear but it's tolerable, Before these the drone would cause ear-bleed ...

outlaw_helmholtz-resonator-jpg-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
Ayee__Jay

Ayee__Jay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
You can waste time and money doing other stuff but welding in a Helmholtz resonator is the only thing that will eliminate drone from the Outlaws,, or any other exhaust that drones..

I have LT's and 3" O/R Outlaw catbacks and welded in a pair of 2.5" Vibrant mufflers and those killed 95% of the drone ... There is drone under load, like climbing a hill in high gear but it's tolerable, Before these the drone would cause ear-bleed ...

outlaw_helmholtz-resonator-jpg-jpg.jpg
Thank you....I dont know how we went from talking about drone to talking about power/speed lol.....
Sponsored