DRONE DRONE DRONE

Ayee__Jay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
So I recently just put Flowmouster Outlaws on my car and from what I read and all the people I’ve asked, I knew there was drone from the start but everyone downplayed it like it wasn’t that big of a deal.

The drone is terrible and unsatisfying inside, anyone have any methods or know of any material to help turn the drone down? I love the exhaust and dont mind drone but this is horrible

Basically my main question is what dampening system/material would anyone recommend that would help with the cabin drone?
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Is it just the axle back you put on? Or was it a catback that removed the stock resonator?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Dronemaster.

Get a Corsa, AWE, Solo, Krona or Borla exhaust. No drone. The first two have the best tech built in for drone. Swap the outlaws for a Corsa Sport axleback or AWE touring axleback (don't worry about it being called touring, they're very loud) and enjoy a loud car that's silent at cruise.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I knew there was drone from the start but everyone downplayed it like it wasn’t that big of a deal.
You'll find there's a __huge__ disparity in what people find tolerable with exhaust sound/volume/drone, things like ride comfort, hell, even the smell when you're not running cats.

There's a GT around here that's wake-the-dead loud, I bet it's got deafening interior sound levels, I can't see how I could find that tolerable for any amount of time, but it's probably their DD :D

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Dronemaster.

Get a Corsa, AWE, Solo, Krona or Borla exhaust. No drone. The first two have the best tech built in for drone. Swap the outlaws for a Corsa Sport axleback or AWE touring axleback (don't worry about it being called touring, they're very loud) and enjoy a loud car that's silent at cruise.
I just did a borla catback with a Steeda H pipe so I can confirm that the borla doesn’t drone. Heck at 70 mph it’s quieter than stock but when you step on it boy does it get loud fast. I can probably hear it about a mile away.

If you like the sound of that borla does have a resonated midpipe that I had on my car and it may help with the drone but I’ve always heard the flow masters drone.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Corsa extreme here , no drone at all . go wot and you can wake the dead .lol

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Best drone free system without cats - 07-12 GT500 exhaust (may need to be custom altered to fit) with an off road H-pipe. Worked great on my 2014. I've read others adapting a version of this to their S550 setups with great success. I can only speak from how it sounded on my 2014 personally and from what others have claimed it sounds like on their S550 which should be similar. It just requires some custom work. I ended up going with Solo on my S550 because I got a steal on it and ability to try it before buying it (it was slightly used). Sounds great with deep tone and no drone to speak of.

Best drone free catback with deep tone to date is the Solo system that uses the 18" mufflers. Nice tone, but no drone. And plenty of compliments. Previous to that the car had (when I bought it -- I'm the 2nd owner) Roush exhaust with X-pipe. Some drone, but way too raspy for my liking.

My wife is the one with the overly sensitive ears. So when it meets her liking and she will ride more than 20 minutes without whining...that proves it is low drone.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I've had Solo, Borla (Ford Performance version with and without the x pipe) on my 2015. They DRONE. Yes they do. The only louder exhaust I've listened to that do not are both the active exhaust on my 2019 Bullitt and stock exhaust on my '18. The stock '18 exhaust is louder than the '17 down and I think it sounds awesome especially if you remove the sound tube.
Best drone free system without cats - 07-12 GT500 exhaust (may need to be custom altered to fit) with an off road H-pipe. Worked great on my 2014. I've read others adapting a version of this to their S550 setups with great success. I can only speak from how it sounded on my 2014 personally and from what others have claimed it sounds like on their S550 which should be similar. It just requires some custom work. I ended up going with Solo on my S550 because I got a steal on it and ability to try it before buying it (it was slightly used). Sounds great with deep tone and no drone to speak of.

Best drone free catback with deep tone to date is the Solo system that uses the 18" mufflers. Nice tone, but no drone. And plenty of compliments. Previous to that the car had (when I bought it -- I'm the 2nd owner) Roush exhaust with X-pipe. Some drone, but way too raspy for my liking.

My wife is the one with the overly sensitive ears. So when it meets her liking and she will ride more than 20 minutes without whining...that proves it is low drone.
This is correct. The 2012 GT500 exhaust is the best S197 in my opinion. Both with and without an x or h or headers. Just excellent mufflers. Too bad they are not available for the S550s.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What did you expect on a muffler-less exhaust? Lol.
Technically the Corsa Xtreme and AWE touring axleback sections are not mufflers at all, they're very fancy Helmholtz resonators that do nothing for volume attenuation but only cancel undesirable frequency content that cause unpleasantness (100-130 Hz in particular).

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
The issue with drone is that it depends on the gear and load and mph. Almost all aftermarket exhausts have a non-sweet spot. It is an opinon but between all the S197s and 3 s550s, it is my experience. Ford likely spent a LOT of time and money on the exhaust.

BTW, when I dyno'd my Bullitt with the Whipple on it produced nearly exactly the same rwhp on quiet as it did on race settings. The exhaust on these cars is very, very good.

kenbidwell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2020 F250 Tremor, 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP(wifes car)
I have been through several axle back exhausts, they all drone, even the Corsa Touring. I have learned to put up with it and it is less with the Corsa than the Roush or the Steeda that I tried first. My 2015 was quietest with the factory setup. Wish the factory set up was more free flowing with my supercharger setup.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I have been through several axle back exhausts, they all drone, even the Corsa Touring. I have learned to put up with it and it is less with the Corsa than the Roush or the Steeda that I tried first. My 2015 was quietest with the factory setup. Wish the factory set up was more free flowing with my supercharger setup.
My understanding is that the cats are the big restriction on the '17 down. Getting red of cats will seriously increase sound, but then you can put your stock exhaust back on. As exhaust gasses cool going back to the muffler area the mufflers mean less in terms of restriction. That's the way I did my S197 supercharged cars. Might drone, but the mufflers can be quieter.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Technically the Corsa Xtreme and AWE touring axleback sections are not mufflers at all, they're very fancy Helmholtz resonators that do nothing for volume attenuation but only cancel undesirable frequency content that cause unpleasantness (100-130 Hz in particular).
They all sound like shit imo. ;).
Sponsored