Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The one thing you can try doing is extending the tips out the back more. If they are too far forward, they can turn the undercarriage into a drum. That being said, the *best* way to reduce drone is to record the drone with a decent mic. If you don't have a mic, use your phone. Then, using audacity or some other audio analyzing tool, analyze the frequencies that are the drone you dislike. Using that, you can build a helmholtz resonator and weld it onto your exhaust. The reason I say to measure the sound, is because you need to know the target frequency to feed into the helmholtz resonator equation to determine how long and what diameter you need when you build it.

This is why some high end exhaust companies (Corsa, for example) doesn't sell universal mufflers - each is tailored to the car because they essentially do the above thing and build it into their muffler.

Although I have a welder, my fabrication skills are woefully inadequate for a project like that, so what I did was weld in some bullet dynomax mufflers.

As you can see though, there is no shortcuts unfortunately. You would obviously only want to put in all that effort if you really liked the sound of the system --and-- know that the sound will change after you try to eliminate the drone.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I've had Solo, Borla (Ford Performance version with and without the x pipe) on my 2015. They DRONE. Yes they do. The only louder exhaust I've listened to that do not are both the active exhaust on my 2019 Bullitt and stock exhaust on my '18. The stock '18 exhaust is louder than the '17 down and I think it sounds awesome especially if you remove the sound tube.

This is correct. The 2012 GT500 exhaust is the best S197 in my opinion. Both with and without an x or h or headers. Just excellent mufflers. Too bad they are not available for the S550s.
Nothing a good exhaust shop can't remedy. I've read where many have done these mufflers on S550's. AM sells the GT500's for $406.99. Some minor custom work and they fit right on an S550. Add a Pypes mid H-pipe for $140. and you are out the door less than $700 installed in most areas. Of course this would be a single tip exhaust and not a 4 tip. The 13-14 GT500 four tip would likely not be much more.

The Solo I have will cost you $943 new. AWE touring catback which gets rave reviews is $1275.

The only reason I did not go this route after reading others had done it is because I got the Solo $943 exhaust system at a steal slightly used for $400 and the ability to try it before buying it.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I ended up going with Solo on my S550 because I got a steal on it and ability to try it before buying it (it was slightly used). Sounds great with deep tone and no drone to speak of. Best drone free catback with deep tone to date is the Solo system that uses the 18" mufflers. Nice tone, but no drone. And plenty of compliments.

My wife is the one with the overly sensitive ears. So when it meets her liking and she will ride more than 20 minutes without whining...that proves it is low drone.
I loved my Solo Mach Thunder on my '16, that used the smaller 11" resonator/X-pipe section, so a bit louder vs. the 18" center section, but still extremely low on the drone - plus it's modular so can swap the center section. FWIW, if I wound up with a car without AE, I was going to get another Solo system.

I can't stand droning background sounds, I don't like loud fans on electronics/computers - I even dialed back my office fridge temp so it wouldn't run as much.

The issue with drone is that it depends on the gear and load and mph. Almost all aftermarket exhausts have a non-sweet spot.
Yeah, the problem is that's often higher RPM so you potentially are sacrificing highway cruising speed MPG.

OP
OP
Ayee__Jay

Ayee__Jay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
Basically what Im asking is, is there any good dampening material anyone recommends to tone the cabin drone down?

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Your a Thule, next...
What's a thule?

To the OP, I had basically the outlaw cat back on my last mustang, x pipe with super 10s or whatever they are, sounded awesome especially cold start and WOT. But I drive tons of hwy mileage and the drone did me in. 6th gear and anywhere in that 60 to 65 mph zone was unbearable.
I ended up getting borla s type. Zero drone.

On my new to me Mustang I went with corsa sport axle back and still have the factory suitcase. I might be moving soon so wanted to start quiet and go louder by replacing x pipe later if I want. At hwy speed there's zero drone. It's quieter than factory even when just cruising.

All that is a long way of saying, prob need new exhaust. Or drive in different gear than you are experiencing the drone

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I recently just put Flowmouster Outlaws on my car and from what I read and all the people I’ve asked, I knew there was drone from the start but everyone downplayed it like it wasn’t that big of a deal.

The drone is terrible and unsatisfying inside, anyone have any methods or know of any material to help turn the drone down? I love the exhaust and dont mind drone but this is horrible

Basically my main question is what dampening system/material would anyone recommend that would help with the cabin drone?
my guess is the dampening material won't help much with bass frequencies. Some people have stronger ears than others. If that isn't you, then get regular chambered mufflers or ear muffs.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Basically what Im asking is, is there any good dampening material anyone recommends to tone the cabin drone down?
The problem is the mufflers. Resonators or other things won't change the drone at all. It's the frequency content.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
my guess is the dampening material won't help much with bass frequencies. Some people have stronger ears than others. If that isn't you, then get regular chambered mufflers or ear muffs.
This is true, most dampening materials attenuate treble much more than bass. I once ripped out the entire interior of my 89 LX 5.0 (Seats, carpet and all) and laid down fiberglass insulation. Yeah, the same stuff sold at lowes. And then I put roof flashing on the doors. No it wasn't dynomat, but it was probably better because of the fiberglass. It was cheap, and I was broke... Result? It went from loud to loud. A complete waste of time.

Not trying to downplay your idea, it's just I was in your shoes once and would hate for you to spend as much time as I did and get little to no improvement. I think today's cars are better sound insulated than my 89 LX, so I think your gains would be even worse than mine were.

Moving the rev range will help depending on which was your revs move and where you are within the drone acoustical curve. So if you have been contemplating getting a set of gears for the rear end, now is the perfect excuse.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Suggestion. When I put a magnaflow cat back system on my 03 Cobra Convertible it had a drone around 2000 rpm. The sweet spot for highway. That and the “too loud” from my wife had me looking for a solution. Someone suggested bassani baffles. I ordered a set and installed them in the tips (set screw holds them in) and the magnaflow had a hole at the bottom of the exhaust tip which worked perfectly. I think they were 80 bucks and I only take them out once a year because it sounds so good!!! My neighbor- Mr. Corvette says its the best sounding V8 he’s heard. OH - and the wife is happy. May be worth researching. Baffles are perforated metal with fiberglass wrapping - believe mine are 3 inches in diameter and 8 or so inches in length.

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Put some resonators in that thing. Good ones. Vibrants are reputable. The catted X-pipe from magnaflow/CJPP is pretty good too.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Then be specific rather than "Basically". Go buy sound deadening material. Audio stores carry it. Good luck.
Sponsored