Sponsored

Driving a manual

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
SOrry to say, but it doesn't take anyone else, but yourself. I learned to drive a stick at age 15, in an empty parking lot. (Took 30 minutes).

Not hard, just takes a feel for engaging the clutch. Don't give up, todays car are much easier than car in the 80's.

No doubt..With stuff like hill assist virtually anyone can drive a manual these days.
Sponsored

Dosia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
SOrry to say, but it doesn't take anyone else, but yourself. I learned to drive a stick at age 15, in an empty parking lot. (Took 30 minutes).

Not hard, just takes a feel for engaging the clutch. Don't give up, todays car are much easier than car in the 80's.
Yep same here. My friend learned how to drive stick from being a passenger in my car and just observing me shifting. We went to an empty parking lot one day and within 5 minutes he had it down. It is pretty simple.

acgott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Competition Orange
No doubt..With stuff like hill assist virtually anyone can drive a manual these days.
I was fortunate enough to learn to drive a manual in an old air force communications truck that was my dads. Once you learn to drive something with 18 gears, something with 5/6 is easy...

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
You'll learn how to drive it in no time at all. Modern cars are especially forgiving too. You could learn on your own S550 and the end result will be totally worth it in the end. Stalling won't incur any measurable damage to your car, provided it doesn't happen in the middle of a busy intersection. I'd suggest that you get the car with a stick and just wing it.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
You'll learn how to drive it in no time at all. Modern cars are especially forgiving too. You could learn on your own S550 and the end result will be totally worth it in the end. Stalling won't incur any measurable damage to your car, provided it doesn't happen in the middle of a busy intersection. I'd suggest that you get the car with a stick and just wing it.
I like this guys^ thinking..

All of my girlfriends have learned to drive sticks, & many thank me years later. (puns not intended, but humorous) Those who most fear a manual, are often times the ones who finally fall in love with cars.

No lie..

Sponsored

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I don't know how to drive a manual, so me.

And say that again when you see a cop in the distance and he could either pull over one of the anonymous crossovers or midsize sedans in traffic, or the brand-new Mustang...
Jim, I'll be happy to show you on mine. My inner circle typically beats the snot out of each others toys anyway. Skip Barber offers basic car control schools and you can request manual transmission training on a case by case basis. It's typical human nature, fear of the unknown. We all face it on a daily basis.

Not a big deal it's just like f!@$ing, coordination and "muscle memory" it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Jim, I'll be happy to show you on mine. My inner circle typically beats the snot out of each others toys anyway. Skip Barber offers basic car control schools and you can request manual transmission training on a case by case basis. It's typical human nature, fear of the unknown. We all face it on a daily basis.

Not a big deal it's just like f!@$ing, coordination and "muscle memory" it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.
Wow. What a generous offer, some nice folks on this forum for sure! Jim - this is a huge opportunity!

B-Fox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
F-350 Scorpion
My 88' 5.0L came with an auto, after a few months of my 17yo driving style it lost overdrive. yanked it, stuck a T-5 in it barely knowing how to drive a manual. never looked back.

current car has an AOD in it, missing the 5 speed.. conversion awaiting s550 purchase decision.

a Manual is a much more engaging and entertaining car to drive.

the Auto is great to cruise home in after a long day at work or tough gym session.

Backorder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan...:-(
Other than the "beater car" solution posted (which I think is a great idea)...are their any tracks around you? I'm sure the track guys there would at least be able to give some tips if anything.

I don't drive a manual now, never was taught when I got my license...I was fortunate enough to go to autobahn country club in Joliet Illinois (uncle is a member) and one of the guys there taught me in his miata. After an hour or so of driving and getting a feel for it I was on the track. Best freakin weekend of my life! Granted, I need more practice but my next car will be a manual. I have a feeling it will take a bit getting used to houston traffic but oh well. After a day of driving at the track I was comfortable enough to test drive a boss and a lame camaro at a dealership, then again when they aren't your cars...:-D lol

I wish you the best. I'm sure you will find a way. Start on a flat surface and get a feel for the engagement of the clutch alone. On a flat surface you shouldn't have to use the gas and can let your foot off the clutch slowly and go. That'll get you a feel for what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
I'm in the same boat as Jimmy. I'm 27 and have been wanting to learn stick for years, but I've run into similar roadblocks (no friends with stick shift cars, no manual rental cars available, lack of stick shift cars and/or classes at driving schools).

I think I'm just going to buy a stick on my next car, have someone who knows how drive it home, and then practice in a local parking lot until I learn.

Pretty much the only way at this point.

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
"I hope your footage is well"

Gets me every time... the ultimate in automotive cringe.

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
I'm in the same boat as Jimmy. I'm 27 and have been wanting to learn stick for years, but I've run into similar roadblocks (no friends with stick shift cars, no manual rental cars available, lack of stick shift cars and/or classes at driving schools).

I think I'm just going to buy a stick on my next car, have someone who knows how drive it home, and then practice in a local parking lot until I learn.

Pretty much the only way at this point.
drive up to haines city.. i will teach you.. really..

shoot me a pm.

beers