Sponsored

Driving a manual

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
:crazy:Who puts an auto tranny in a sports car?;)

Seriously, the very last thing I'm concerned about when driving in heavy traffic is how fast I'm going.
I don't know how to drive a manual, so me.

And say that again when you see a cop in the distance and he could either pull over one of the anonymous crossovers or midsize sedans in traffic, or the brand-new Mustang...
Sponsored

OP
OP

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
why not learn? it makes driving more fun. I guess it just depends on your daily commute (or maybe you had bad knees/legs like a couple of guys on here)
Oh, I've wanted to learn how to drive a manual for a long, long time. I've been trying to find a way to learn to drive one for almost twenty years.

There are no driving schools anywhere that teach how to drive a manual. I've searched schools from Virginia to Maine -- nobody offers classes in how to drive manual transmissions. Rental car agencies don't rent manual transmission cars, so it's not like I could rent one and try to figure it out on my own. I can't get a friend or acquaintance to teach me because I don't know anybody who owns a manual transmission car and only two people who've ever driven one.

I've only even sat in a manual transmission car once in my life -- when I was 15, almost twenty years ago. I tried to drive it, but I couldn't get it into first gear -- I stalled about 100 straight times, over the course of about an hour, every time I tried to put it in first. Since then, I've never even been a passenger in a car with a manual. So I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to go about learning to drive one.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
If I lived where you live I don't think I would want a manual transmission anyways.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Oh, I've wanted to learn how to drive a manual for a long, long time. I've been trying to find a way to learn to drive one for almost twenty years.

There are no driving schools anywhere that teach how to drive a manual. I've searched schools from Virginia to Maine -- nobody offers classes in how to drive manual transmissions. Rental car agencies don't rent manual transmission cars, so it's not like I could rent one and try to figure it out on my own. I can't get a friend or acquaintance to teach me because I don't know anybody who owns a manual transmission car and only two people who've ever driven one.

I've only even sat in a manual transmission car once in my life -- when I was 15, almost twenty years ago. I tried to drive it, but I couldn't get it into first gear -- I stalled about 100 straight times, over the course of about an hour, every time I tried to put it in first. Since then, I've never even been a passenger in a car with a manual. So I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to go about learning to drive one.
The hour you spent trying to make it work was probably an effort in futility without someone to show you the proper technique. If you're just pushing the pedals in and out, you'll never get it. But I am convinced that anybody that actually wants to learn can, in fact, learn it. I think that this is true of anything - if you are actually interested in it, you can be taught. Nobody is incapable, given proper interest in the subject matter. Keep in mind that once upon a time - not even that long ago - nearly anyone that wanted to drive had to operate a manual transmission. And those were transmissions with unsyncronized gears at that.

My point is this - you can learn if you can find someone that knows how to teach it. Hell, if you find your way up to Rochester at some point, I will teach you. There are good methods and poor methods, but I've been able to teach it a number of people that thought they couldn't.

Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos

I found this post to be very sad. This type of situation is pretty common, and is a huge part of the perpetuating the cycle that is making manual cars a dying breed.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I found this post to be very sad. This type of situation is pretty common, and is a huge part of the perpetuating the cycle that is making manual cars a dying breed.
I agree, I can't believe he hasn't sat in a manual in so long and has no friends who drive manuals. It's a crazy world. Most of the people I know either drive a manual or have driven them recently

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4

Buy a beater car Manual on craigslist like an early 90s Honda that is easy to flip. Ask them on the phone if they will be willing to teach you on the test drive, you'd be surprised how many people are willing if you are willing to pay close to their $2500 asking price or whatever. Drive it a few hundred miles for practice and flip losing at worst $300. Then the auto option is $1195 so you come out ahead in the whole process.

My Dad taught all 3 kids how to drive stick and we all were able to drive home at the age of 15 with our learner's permit. Then take yourself into a church parking lot on a weekday and practice parking. You'll get it!

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Buy a beater car Manual on craigslist like an early 90s Honda that is easy to flip. Ask them on the phone if they will be willing to teach you on the test drive, you'd be surprised how many people are willing if you are willing to pay close to their $2500 asking price or whatever. Drive it a few hundred miles for practice and flip losing at worst $300. Then the auto option is $1195 so you come out ahead in the whole process.

My Dad taught all 3 kids how to drive stick and we all were able to drive home at the age of 15 with our learner's permit. Then take yourself into a church parking lot on a weekday and practice parking. You'll get it!
I agree with this suggestion. I've told a bunch of enthusiasts who want to learn manuals the same thing - get a beater, learn to drive on it, turn it around in a month and sell it for almost the same price you bought it.

Heck, if you start a thread in your geography sub-forum out here, someone will be glad to help you out!

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
I agree with this suggestion. I've told a bunch of enthusiasts who want to learn manuals the same thing - get a beater, learn to drive on it, turn it around in a month and sell it for almost the same price you bought it.

Heck, if you start a thread in your geography sub-forum out here, someone will be glad to help you out!

Definitely. It's a long journey to become an expert manual driver, but it can be 15-30 minutes to just be able to drive the car home and around town. It's not that hard.

Sponsored

SeaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0

Yeah this isn't true. I've found countless manual driving options at driving schools on the east coast in a 5 minute google search. I myself learned through one of those schools a couple years ago.

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP

Thats too bad you couldn't learn, Here in Toronto there is a driving school specifically for manual transmission. http://www.shifters.ca/

My first car was a manual. Once I got a hang of the clutch vs accelerator pedal it was easy to drive. However I hated driving in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway. My next car was an automatic. I am so happy the new mustang has paddle shifters, almost like having both manual + automatic built in. All new high performance cars (eg. Ferarri, Lamborgini) all have paddle shifters and doing away with shift sticks.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)

SOrry to say, but it doesn't take anyone else, but yourself. I learned to drive a stick at age 15, in an empty parking lot. (Took 30 minutes).

Not hard, just takes a feel for engaging the clutch. Don't give up, todays car are much easier than car in the 80's.

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
A few people on the ST site that I'm on (STNation.net) learned to drive stick when they picked up their car. Yeah, it probably took a beating, but they got the hang of it pretty quickly

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
A few people on the ST site that I'm on (STNation.net) learned to drive stick when they picked up their car. Yeah, it probably took a beating, but they got the hang of it pretty quickly
The my previous car I purchased with a manual trans was before I learned how row my own gears and I forced myself to learn on my drive home. I'll never go back to an auto, and now that I've taught my girlfriend to drive stick she isn't going back either.
Sponsored