Sponsored

Driveshaft play... (video inside)

james cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon S550 Owner
Hello Guys...

I am having some clunking when going over bumps sideways on neutral or with the clutch in... never when when the engine is controlling the driveshaft... I believe its my diff making the noise although the sound comes from all over under the car.

Checked diff play and this is what I came up with, six speed manual:

Any thoughts?
Thanks
JC
Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
that does seem like alot of play. you checked all the u-joints for play? next thing would be to put it in the air (tires off the ground, not supported), in gear, and do it. you should be able to determine which side it is coming from (trans or diff).

a loose caliper can also make that sound, but usually not quite that easy to turn when doing it.

Ratical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
03 F-250 21 Mach 1
Mine has Similar Play. I believe that to be Normal.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Honestly that play looks normal, I use to work as a Tech helper back in my teens in the heavy line department at Ford. This type of play was in pretty much every RWD/4WD vehicle.

In addition I have owned both a 14GT and 07GT manual, they all had some clunk(Not sure if the S550 are quieter). But either way if the noise seems excessive to you I would just take in to Ford to document.

If you want to get your hands dirty then try looking for any play in the suspension and maybe raise the rear wheels drive the wheels while in first to see if you can re-produce.

Sponsored

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
Honestly that play looks normal, I use to work as a Tech helper back in my teens in the heavy line department at Ford. This type of play was in pretty much every RWD/4WD vehicle.

In addition I have owned both a 14GT and 07GT manual, they all had some clunk(Not sure if the S550 are quieter). But either way if the noise seems excessive to you I would just take in to Ford to document.

If you want to get your hands dirty then try looking for any play in the suspension and maybe raise the rear wheels drive the wheels while in first to see if you can re-produce.
I had two 2014s GT 6spd Brembos, and they clunked as well, always assumed it was a normal noise. On the M1 it seems to be quieter.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
when do you guys hear the clunking?
Kind of random really, it depends on how you release the clutch. Sometimes it would do it while coasting in neutral or going over speed bumps and such. As I drove the car more I learned to engage the clutch better and minimize the clunking.

The drive train in these cars are beefy if you go over bumps while coasting (in neutral) they tend to make a clunking noise as the drive train slacks back and forth as you turn into a rough terrain. I noticed being in gear and power they are smooth over rough terrains, I kind of of learned to make it quiet. Well that was on my S197 GTs but probably same applies to the S550.

OP
OP

james cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon S550 Owner
Kind of random really, it depends on how you release the clutch. Sometimes it would do it while coasting in neutral or going over speed bumps and such. As I drove the car more I learned to engage the clutch better and minimize the clunking.

The drive train in these cars are beefy if you go over bumps while coasting (in neutral) they tend to make a clunking noise as the drive train slacks back and forth as you turn into a rough terrain. I noticed being in gear and power they are smooth over rough terrains, I kind of of learned to make it quiet. Well that was on my S197 GTs but probably same applies to the S550.

Yes... I thought these were suspension noises... found it odd that the car made strange noises going over bumps... thanks a lot!

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
Hello Guys...

I am having some clunking when going over bumps sideways on neutral or with the clutch in... never when when the engine is controlling the driveshaft... I believe its my diff making the noise although the sound comes from all over under the car.

Checked diff play and this is what I came up with, six speed manual:

Any thoughts?
Thanks
JC
That seams normal to me. There is play in gears
Sponsored