1 piece driveshaft

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
Has anyone made the move to an aluminum 1 piece driveshaft? If so what brand and how difficult was the install.

Looking for any and all opinions, even if you've had previous experience with one on an s550 or share a friends experience.

Thanks in advance. I'll be installing FI this winter once my knee heals up and can walk again
Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Interested as well. Good luck with the knee

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Has anyone made the move to an aluminum 1 piece driveshaft? If so what brand and how difficult was the install.

Looking for any and all opinions, even if you've had previous experience with one on an s550 or share a friends experience.

Thanks in advance. I'll be installing FI this winter once my knee heals up and can walk again
I installed a DSS drive shaft (ordered from Steeda) on both a coupe and convertible. Here's the journey for the coupe... Install was simple... remove the full exhaust (resonator and all). Remove the old drive shaft... when installing the one-piece drive shaft ~81 ft lbs at the trans flange, ~54 ft lbs at the diff flange. I had my 2018 up on four jack stands... ran it up to 130 mph (do this slowly) to check for vibration. NVH is normal. If it vibrates re-clock the drive shaft 180 degrees (I had no vibrations), but this is what DSS recommends. If it still vibrates send it back to DSS for re-balancing. This was my biggest concern, which never materialized! I've had mine on for over a year and it's awesome - changes the acceleration and deceleration characteristics a lot - for the better. But I also have 1500 HP axle shafts (preparing for a Whipple). Now for the tweaking... the DSS drive shaft is stout, but it's hallow and makes noises when shifting into R or D (I have a 10R80)... I am thinking about moving to the Steeda drive shaft, which has the same rating, but is foam filled and much quieter with less NVH. -Hope this helps-

Last edited:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I've seen a lot of people go back to the stock driveshaft because the aftermarket ones end up being too noisy or vibrate like crazy.

I think the only one I'd consider is the QA1.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I’ve heard from a few folks that QA1 is better than DSS as far as quality, noise/vibration, etc. Regarding carbon fiber, it’s lighter and stronger than aluminum and if there’s a failure, it shreds instead of snapping and potentially catapulting your car. So CF would be considered safer, albeit more expensive than aluminum. If I end up going FI in a few years, I plan to upgrade to a one piece and will most likely go with QA1 and their CF driveshaft. CJPP just put out a video on YouTube with the guy from QA1 talking about their CF driveshaft. Obviously he’s going to market his product but does explain the benefits of CF vs aluminum.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
For CF, I would spend the money and go with QA1.

For aluminum, I would go with Steeda. Several S197 owners go with the Ford Performance offering with great success. That DS is made by Dana Spicer. Ford Performance didn't release one under their name for the S550 but Spicer still did which is the one Steeda carries under their name. You can also see the reason for the positive reviews for the Steeda (Spicer) product

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Is the 6 speed manual driveshaft the same for the Tremac as it is for the M82?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Didn’t figure it would be. However on the Steeda @tjsteeda website they only list one length option for manual equipped S550. I presume it’s for the much more common M82?

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Didn’t figure it would be. However on the Steeda @tjsteeda website they only list one length option for manual equipped S550. I presume it’s for the much more common M82?
2018+ MT driveshafts are different than 2015-17. The flange at the differential is different.

OP
OP
2022 Mach 1

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
I am looking at the steeda aluminum and obviously will be putting in a safety loop. A little NVH isn't an issue for me. My ultimate goal is 800 whp on a whipple.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at the steeda aluminum and obviously will be putting in a safety loop. A little NVH isn't an issue for me. My ultimate goal is 800 whp on a whipple.
GIve Rod a call when you are ready to talk shop - he will get you taken care of!

TJ

Headless Horseman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
These cars should've came with 1 piece drive shafts

Last edited:

Headless Horseman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I have a QA1 in a PP1/10R80. I can not even begin to describe how great this upgrade is. The increase in acceleration and throttle response feels like it gives the car a more precise and linear power transition and transfer. Crisp and snappy to my foot.
Sponsored