Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hi,

Yesterday, while doing about 100 mph, there was a sudden burst of wind noise, as if a window had opened. It turns out it wasn't a window, but the driver's door. It had come unlatched.
If this had happened immediately after driving off, then I could have suspected that I hadn't closed the door properly. But I had been driving for approximately 90 miles straight when it happened.
Is this a known fault? Has it happened to you? Is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening again?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; No comment on the door issue but hope you find a fix. The story reminded of a 1963 Pontiac Bonneville my father had. I was getting up into the high MPH range with the windows down when the headliner popped down on my head. Figured I was in trouble but it popped back in place. Learned to not go so fast with the windows down.

Good luck and hope you always wear a seatbelt.

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
Ford has had some recalls (Escape/Kuga - don't know if Mustang was on the list) in the past several years to replace the pawls (portion of the latch that is mounted on the door).

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

Yesterday, while doing about 100 mph, there was a sudden burst of wind noise, as if a window had opened. It turns out it wasn't a window, but the driver's door. It had come unlatched.
If this had happened immediately after driving off, then I could have suspected that I hadn't closed the door properly. But I had been driving for approximately 90 miles straight when it happened.
Is this a known fault? Has it happened to you? Is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening again?

Thank you.
Other then be watchful not much. Check how firm you may be pulling it close . The doors unlatch, with little effort, opening and closing .

One could possibly without paying attention. Not use enough force when closing, not saying slam.

Look at the latch and paw is it dry ? Light smear of some grease on the latch.

That's one for the books, and should go to the dealer . If it happens again

Be glad you do not have suicide doors .

Sponsored

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
im going to venture to say it was a one off perhaps you didn't have the door closed fully. if it happens again id get it checked out.

cobrachris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium guard saddle 20 inch rims
Hi,

Thank you.
Yeah take it to the dealer,thereā€™s a safety recall to replace the latches.You should of got a notice in the mail.

cobrachris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Hi,

Thank you.

cobrachris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Yeah,take it to the dealer.Thereā€™s a safety recall to replace the latches on certain cars produced during a specific time frame.You should of got a notice in the mail if youā€™re the original owner.

cobrachris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Hi,

Thank you.

Sponsored

cobrachris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Yeah take it to the dealer,thereā€™s a safety recall to replace latches on certain cars.You should of gotten a notice in the mail.

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
My 16 GT had a recall and went to the dealer to have latches replaced.

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Be glad you do not have suicide doors .
Indeed. That thought has crossed my mind. But the door didn't open completely; it was just the first stage of the latch that gave way. The door was still latched, just not completely, like when you close it too softly. So maybe it would have been fine anyway.

Sounds like the car is haunted. What's worse, it's likely a murder ghost. Burn some sage in there ASAP.
This is the Romanian way: šŸ˜

masina-cruci-virgin-radio-romania.jpg

im going to venture to say it was a one off perhaps you didn't have the door closed fully.
I'd like to think that. But I would have thought that an improperly closed door would open sooner, maybe almost immediately. Not after ninety miles.

Yeah,take it to the dealer.Thereā€™s a safety recall to replace the latches on certain cars produced during a specific time frame.You should of got a notice in the mail if youā€™re the original owner.
There is a recall, indeed, but it seems to cover vehicles produced between 2011 and 2016. Mine's 2020.

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
Did you accidently hit the ejection button? surprised it didnt throw you out like it supposed to. You should definitely have your ejection button checked out

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Indeed. That thought has crossed my mind. But the door didn't open completely; it was just the first stage of the latch that gave way. The door was still latched, just not completely, like when you close it too softly. So maybe it would have been fine anyway.
While I like to stay optimistic, you were traveling at 100 mph. That's a lot of force to push against the door. Things could have been very different at much lower speeds.
Sponsored