Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Our Powerstorm line of billet steel oil pump gears are here to bring additional safety to your late model Ford build! The oil pumps on the Ford 4.6/5.4L 2v, 3v and 4v modular, Coyote and 3.5L EcoBoost engines are mounted on the front of the block and driven directly by the crankshaft. This design is OK, but is far from ideal and it does subject the oil pump to all of the harmful harmonics that the crankshaft develops.

The stock oil pump systems also use a range of weak powdered metal gears in them that have an extremely high tendency to fracture and lead to failure when subjected to these abrasive harmonics. Broken oil pump gears will cause a loss in oil pressure, and when oil pressure is lost severe engine damage is eminent.

We have seen several cases of Ford builds of all kinds and varying levels of power that have suffered from oil pump failures. Based on this data, we strongly recommended these Powerstorm billet oil pump gears be installed before any significant modifications are added to your car.

ex_q80_w400_h_images_ePIM_original_P04_LPP701126_main.jpg

However, we do not recommend putting new gears in a worn pump. So if you are modifying, rebuilding or repairing a 3.5L, 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.4L or a 6.2L Ford engine we highly recommend you replace the entire oil pump assembly too. If you want a completely new pump that comes to you with Powerstorm billet oil pump gears already installed just call us today, or visit our site. If you have any other questions feel free to call us at 313-561-5500 or click livernoismotorsports.com
Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Got this set going in my new engine.

Thanks for the post guys!

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Come on, what have there been less than 5 of these gears break now across the various forums? Only the big HP drag guys from what I can tell, it's not as bad as you make it out to be.

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
Less than 5 have broke? How did you come up with that figure? I know of 5 I can rattle off right now lol

ero 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt 5.0
sign me up for Volcano insurance too...

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Come on, what have there been less than 5 of these gears break now across the various forums? Only the big HP drag guys from what I can tell, it's not as bad as you make it out to be.
In all honesty, I have had more than 5 personal friends destroy their OEM oil pump gears.

Most all of those were boosted applications, but, I have seen them happen in Naturally Aspirated set-ups.

This modification is definitely more important on the S550, when heavily modifying to go fast - because the S550 ECU gives the ability to really rev these engines out. :thumbsup:

Super Werty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT
I keep hearing about these 5 plus failures... Let's see a list of them with links to the threads/posts describing how it happened /power level/mods etc

JadedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Website
benkressler.clickfunnels.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Murdered out
Will be upgrading these in the next few months just need to find a local shop in Houston that will do the work.

Sponsored

Miglo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ PP 401A NAV in DIB
Wish vendors would put up a proper link to their stuff instead of saying "go find it"!

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Should be mandatory if you up your power level. a no brainer! I wonder if the gt-350 has billet opg's from the factory!

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
Ford has been using this pump with powdered rotors for a very long time. I lost count of the number of boosted 4.6 3V failures. Edge body guys were breaking them before that.

If you boost without replacing, you're buying extra engine-go-boom lottery tickets.

TexasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Part of me is with you. I keep hearing things, but don't often see the facts. My limiter is set to 7000, which lowers the risk, I would think.
Sponsored