MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
So considering installing headers somewhat requires some movement of the engine (so I hear). I wonder if that would be an optimal time to have it done. As in, since the engine is coming out, it would also allow easier/best time to drop the headers on as well since it's there. Might be something I look into when I decide to go that route if it saves some money.
Not really, the motor doesn't need to be moved to do the OPG. I did the headers myself and don't see any relationship between the two from an install perspective. Other than hurting and being bloody already from the headers I don't know if it would be a better or worse time to do the OPG.
Sponsored

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
I'm doing headers, clutch, OPG and timing sprocket all at the same time. Since it's so easy to drop the front K member, I'm just dropping the engine to do it all.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
im not sure the full housing needs to be done, but the OPG and TG are definite items to do. TG has to come off to get to the OPG anyways (if i watched correctly).

its not an easy task at all, and if a shop charges $1000 to do it before parts, then thats a great deal for what it is.

JadedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Website
benkressler.clickfunnels.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Murdered out
Most are quoting 8 to 10 hours do to the job or 1 day of labor. Depends on where you live in the US labor rates vary. Up north you are most likely going to be paying more since the shops are more expensive up there.

OP
OP
Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
If I'm reading this correctly then do this upgrade if you plan on going past bolt ons ( intake, exhaust, headers ) and tune.
Correct. We recommend this as an upgrade past normal bolt-ons.

What is the typical labor charge for something like this? I know this requires pulling the engine obviously.
We usually charge about 8 hours.

How do you determine a worn pump? Is that a visual inspection, or estimated based on number of miles?
It is a visual inspection that determines the need for a new pump.

Sponsored

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
I have my oil pump gears, crank gear, harmonic balancer, and head cooling mod sitting here waiting for install - gonna be as safe as I can be with this setup!

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
With parts paid $1500 installed. The one part I see nobody mentioning is the CHAINS. Only the Ford engineer mentioned this. Do we not have timing chain upgrades for our car?

mmc

9 Second Warrior
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan GT-R
It doesn't matter really if there have been 5, 10, or 1000 failures. What matters is what percentage of modified cars fail. If it is 15%, then roll the dice accordingly. If it is 50%, get out your wallet and upgrade.

AutoX_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack - Black
I'm running a Paxton kit now on stock engine :ninja: I do plan to squeeze more power out of it next season with the 3.6 pulley, so i'll be looking into upgrading all my components over the winter myself!

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I think the percentage of failures is much lower, but yes who wants to risk it right, well I did and only becuase mine is a street car won't be raced. According to Whipple they have thousands of cars out there without OPG and timing gears without issue and they have extensive and harsh durability tested with many hours on there calibration. Whipple has assured me that it's safe to run there cal up 700 whp and of course that's not a guarantee and it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It doesn't matter really if there have been 5, 10, or 1000 failures. What matters is what percentage of modified cars fail. If it is 15%, then roll the dice accordingly. If it is 50%, get out your wallet and upgrade.
I wonder how many supercharger kits all the vendors combined have sold for the S550?

ven377

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Ive been procharged for a year, 580rwhp and have 0 failures with my gears. :shrug:

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Ive been procharged for a year, 580rwhp and have 0 failures with my gears. :shrug:
And I would say thousands more just like you with even higher WHP. I would say at the very least instal a ATI or MMR/Romac race damper. The stock damper harmonics with forced induction and higher RMP will contribute to the harmonics that damage those cranks driven gears. I went with the MMR/Romac race damper.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
I think the percentage of failures is much lower, but yes who wants to risk it right, well I did and only becuase mine is a street car won't be raced. According to Whipple they have thousands of cars out there without OPG and timing gears without issue and they have extensive and harsh durability tested with many hours on there calibration. Whipple has assured me that it's safe to run there cal up 700 whp and of course that's not a guarantee and it's always better to be safe than sorry.
Whipple usually knows what they are talking about and if they don't think it's needed I'd go with their recommendation. If you're a track junkie though it's probably worth the peace of mind.
Sponsored