Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Does switching the exhaust into normal save gas?

Please don't flame me with "why by a GT350 if you are worried about MPG?" MPG is not much of a concern for me, except on long trips (less stops). This is mainly a matter of curiosity.

I haven't done any "scientific" comparisons, but I've noticed this morning that I was driving in normal and my MPGs went up .1 MPGs. Not enough to care, but just wondering if the average would go up more on a long trip.
Sponsored

StevexSlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
race red CS
It shouldn't change, the AFR stays the same. It won't spray more or less fuel.

Venandakatra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT350
I would be willing to bet putting it in normal mode does save gas, but for a different reason - I have trouble staying away from the gas pedal when the exhaust is in sport mode and that's not good for fuel economy. If I didn't use sport mode, I could actually see myself using cruise control.

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I would be willing to bet putting it in normal mode does save gas, but for a different reason - I have trouble staying away from the gas pedal when the exhaust is in sport mode and that's not good for fuel economy. If I didn't use sport mode, I could actually see myself using cruise control.

I was thinking the same. If it doesn't change anything in the car's setup; the exhaust mode may change something in the driver's setup.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
This car has cruise control? :D

Sponsored

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I would assume a open exhaust would be fractionally more efficient

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Less restriction in the exhaust should mean slightly better fuel economy, all other things being equal. In reality I expect the difference is so slight that you won't be able to measure it during street driving. When you put the exhaust in sport mode it still won't be open in 6th gear on the freeway, so a longer cruise won't show up any difference either.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
On my car if you are going to cruise with the rpm between 1,500 and 2000rpm, cruise is a must as it clearly has access to ECU maps not normally available.

Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
It affects my ankle.........which drastically affects fuel mileage
^^^^ THIS condition overrides all other possibilities. If you want economy, go buy a Prius.

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
^^^^ THIS condition overrides all other possibilities. If you want economy, go buy a Prius.
Honestly if you had read my original statement, you would see that I am not so concerned about MPGs, I guess I am more concerned about "miles to tank" on a long drive. i.e. can I get from A to B on 1 tank of gas and would exhaust mode squeeze some extra miles out of a tank of gas on a trip.

Being in Germany I get rationed gas at reduced rates (VAT Free) and can only fill up at certain stations which aren't always in the most convenient places along my route.

But trust me, I'm only getting the 16 MPG on my commute to and from work; with a lot of Autobahn.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
I use my cruise control all the time. In speed limit zones of 35mph, 40 mph, or if I'm travelling next to a cop. It saves my wallet and driver's license.
Sometimes I rev up next to a cop, I want to see see if they will pull me over... :crazy:
Sponsored