Sponsored

Do you regret not replacing the CUP 2s

22GBMach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grabber Blue Mach 1
So I have read all the threads on the reasons why the oem Cup2 tires should be replaced. However, having just spent $67k on the Mach 1 it is a little tough to accept that another $2k will be needed to buy replacement tires. So. for those that stayed with the Cup 2s, do you regret not replacing them with a better street tire like the PS4S? Have you found that the tires are unsafe in wet or other adverse conditions?
I appreciate and look forward to your responses.
Sponsored

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
So I have read all the threads on the reasons why the oem Cup2 tires should be replaced. However, having just spent $67k on the Mach 1 it is a little tough to accept that another $2k will be needed to buy replacement tires. So. for those that stayed with the Cup 2s, do you regret not replacing them with a better street tire like the PS4S? Have you found that the tires are unsafe in wet or other adverse conditions?
Based upon my experience, It depends on how you use the car and your driving skills.
Weekend fun in the sun drives - no problem (unless it rains).
Daily driver - really sketchy in the rain and temps below 50 degrees F and you won't get more than 4,000 to 5,000 miles from the rears.
As long as it's sunny and warm you'll be fine for a while.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
my rears are wearing out now, 4k miles. was getting squirrely this weekend in a straight line gettin on the gas in 2nd. Ill replace with the 4s. will get another set of rims (same size, lighter weight) and put cup 2s for any track use though.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You sell the Cup 2's the second you get the car and then buy the PS4S and only lose a couple hundred bucks. If you're buying two sets of tires, you're doing it wrong. Track junkies love these tires and will snag them real fast if you post them a bit under the cost of new.

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
You sell the Cup 2's the second you get the car and then buy the PS4S and only lose a couple hundred bucks. If you're buying two sets of tires, you're doing it wrong. Track junkies love these tires and will snag them real fast if you post them a bit under the cost of new.
Exactly, sell them once you get the car and buy PS4S or something else. You will spend 500-600 after you cash the Cup2's.
I drove in rain once on them and I decided "f*** this" :) got PS4S and driving like a normal person should lol

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
subbing for when i finish smoking these Pzero's cause i need to decide on a tire for the square setup.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Well, if you do nothing and just drive on them, they'll be done in 10,000 or less miles so they'll be gone anyway. As far as driving them in wet conditions, they're fine for me when it was kicked it into "Wet/Snow" mode.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
I rode mine out instead of taking time to swap out right away and resell them. Was severley disappointed the alignment was way out in the front end and cords were showing at 4700 miles on the front tires for me.

Sponsored

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
I sold mine with only 26 miles on them for around 1200 then rolled that into the PS4 price of 2000.00

I admit i loved the way they rode car felt just super planted but i got a rock chip on day 1 of ownership. For me a discount on new tires (that I knew i would need soon) was much more attractive than only one year give or take of fun and games.

Do whats best for you. It ain't trickin if you got it-t pain

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Good Morning to you. I wanted to discuss a few things about the Sport Cup 2's in regard to your question. I have a 2020 Pp2, and before that, I had a 19 Pp2. The Cup 2's have turned out to be a favorite tire of mine. I live in Southern California, where the weather tends to be nice all year long, with the occasional downpour of rain. I am boosted and drive my car fairly hard daily. The weekends are filled with "Fun Runs" in the canyons with my boys. So, I get my money's worth. This year has been a bit different, the weather has been extreme out here and we have experienced winter rain, unlike many years in the past. There have been times when I have elected to swap out sets of wheels and tires or just drive another vehicle when it rains. But, this year was a bit different. The rain just kept coming and stuck around. instead of switching sets of wheels and tires, I stuck with my current setup, braving the high 30's temps. And I just pushed through this winter weather on the Sport Cup 2's. There was hydroplaning, and it was slick. I know how to handle my car which makes it a bit fun, to feel the car lose traction momentarily. All of this gives me a greater appreciation for the Pp2 and its tires. I have learned how my car responds under extreme circumstances with conditions that are not favorable for these tires. I have even driven the Cup 2's in frigid temps, in high elevation. And once again, it just gave me more confidence in the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's. I know that there are people located all throughout the continental United States where weather conditions are very bad, to say the least, but for me, I have put these tires to the test, I have run them bald, in the cold, the heat, when it's raining, on the track, and I absolutely love them. And to me, it all boils down to a matter of opinion. For me, they work. I have used the Sport Cup 2 with speed ratings of 97y, 98y, and 103y. I discovered that the Cup 2 with the 103y is a tire that has broader shoulders like the Toyo R888's.

I hope this helps and will create more topics of conversation and leads all of us on a path of discovery. These cars have united us and they are our common ground. Feel free to drop a comment, like, and share.
IMG_2585.jpeg
IMG_2625.jpeg
dsc03050.jpeg

Stay Safe and Happy Driving.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Based upon my experience, It depends on how you use the car and your driving skills.
Weekend fun in the sun drives - no problem (unless it rains).
Daily driver - really sketchy in the rain and temps below 50 degrees F and you won't get more than 4,000 to 5,000 miles from the rears.
As long as it's sunny and warm you'll be fine for a while.
@22GBMach1 this from @dbtgt is pretty much spot on.

As for the issue with the $67k + another $2k.... Welcome to the jungle. SC2s are track tires. They were never intended to be driven on the street or daily. When we buy these cars from the dealership with SC2s from the factory, it should be a known factor.... track use, or buy another set. Ford definitely doesn't educate buyers about the SC2s enough in my opinion.

Having a spare set is a good thing. Sunny warm days and a track event, slap on your SC2s.

I tried doing the daily drives with SC2s on 2 different cars (PP2&GT350), and it was problematic.

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
When I got my vortech installed I had to get rid of the cup2 as I got no traction until 4th gear. I went with Firestone track hawks, they seem to be sticky er. I now get traction better than before but still not the best as I really need drag radials. But for that I need new rims so I can get them fatter but before I can do that I need to get a new clutch. If I get really good traction I’ll definitely blow the mt82.

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
Good Morning to you. I wanted to discuss a few things about the Sport Cup 2's in regard to your question. I have a 2020 Pp2, and before that, I had a 19 Pp2. The Cup 2's have turned out to be a favorite tire of mine. I live in Southern California, where the weather tends to be nice all year long, with the occasional downpour of rain. I am boosted and drive my car fairly hard daily. The weekends are filled with "Fun Runs" in the canyons with my boys. So, I get my money's worth. This year has been a bit different, the weather has been extreme out here and we have experienced winter rain, unlike many years in the past. There have been times when I have elected to swap out sets of wheels and tires or just drive another vehicle when it rains. But, this year was a bit different. The rain just kept coming and stuck around. instead of switching sets of wheels and tires, I stuck with my current setup, braving the high 30's temps. And I just pushed through this winter weather on the Sport Cup 2's. There was hydroplaning, and it was slick. I know how to handle my car which makes it a bit fun, to feel the car lose traction momentarily. All of this gives me a greater appreciation for the Pp2 and its tires. I have learned how my car responds under extreme circumstances with conditions that are not favorable for these tires. I have even driven the Cup 2's in frigid temps, in high elevation. And once again, it just gave me more confidence in the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's. I know that there are people located all throughout the continental United States where weather conditions are very bad, to say the least, but for me, I have put these tires to the test, I have run them bald, in the cold, the heat, when it's raining, on the track, and I absolutely love them. And to me, it all boils down to a matter of opinion. For me, they work. I have used the Sport Cup 2 with speed ratings of 97y, 98y, and 103y. I discovered that the Cup 2 with the 103y is a tire that has broader shoulders like the Toyo R888's.

I hope this helps and will create more topics of conversation and leads all of us on a path of discovery. These cars have united us and they are our common ground. Feel free to drop a comment, like, and share.
IMG_2585.jpeg
IMG_2625.jpeg
dsc03050.jpeg

Stay Safe and Happy Driving.
Man, I love that color. All they had available when I bought mine was shadow black and a red one. I went with the black , I like it as it goes well with the racing stripes I got.
Sponsored