Sponsored

Do not lubricate the o-ring on the oil filter ???

SkYLiNe00X

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GREG
Vehicle(s)
2022 MACH 1 Premium 10-Speed
Hi all,

The computer shows me an oil life of less than 50%. It is time for the first oil change on my '22 MACH 1. I found this information on the internet. (see photos)
I'm curious if anyone had an experience that an oil filter vibrating off or an engine oil leak because of oil filter vibration?
I owned a brand new "15 GT for two years and did an oil change myself. I do not remember I got any issues with that.

Edit: Because the oil filter is placed at a 45-degree angle, I made a mess when I removed the oil filter. Then I realize the engine oil is all over the electronic wire and plug. The electronic plug is connected to a silver box that looks like an ECU. I couldn't take a picture because my hand was full of engine oil. I clean that up as much as possible, but the connector and wire still soak it. When I started the vehicle power, I was worried about the power shortage, but everything was okay afterward. Do you think Ford engineers knew the engine oil was okay to touch those wires or plugs without causing any problems?

Tips: Turn your front wheel all the way to the left.

Screenshot 2023-01-28 104709.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-28 104827.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
I have changed my oil a few times since i have owned and i haven't had issues, also have not heard of that issue either. But if you got it in an instruction, i would follow it.

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
I may try that technique myself. My 2019 GT and my wifeā€™s 2018 GT have leaked around oil filter. Got so frustrated I put my filter on super tight to see if that eliminated leak. Nope. Then couldnā€™t get it off with any method I tried. Took it to Ford dealership for oil change and they replaced filter and no more leaks. They didnā€™t tell me anything about what they did. Iā€™m going to go dry the next time.

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
Iā€™m going to go dry the next time.
Even though I'm 32 years old - I couldn't help but smile when I read your last line.

Poor wife šŸ˜„

I've always lubricated the new filter with the new oil when doing filter change and always put on new filter without filling it with oil first on my vehicles... No issues or errors

I imagine that lack of cleaning the spot where the o-ring seals and/or a slightly damaged o-ring can cause issues.
I have never heard of it vibrating itself off.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I believe that this recommendation was issued for Mach 1 only. So asking people with non Machs could be misleading.

EDIT: I misread the OP photos, it seems indeed to be issued for all models. I remembered the issue surfaced with Mach 1 introduction, so whether it is affecting just the late models, or retroactively applies to all Mustangs I have no idea.

Last edited:

Sponsored

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
Same engine isnā€™t it?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
That is a screen shot straight out of the factory service manual - I would follow what it says, if it says not to lube...that said, I have done it both ways with similar uninteresting results...of course that was on a 2V 4.6 - so...different animal.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
A good idea posted earlier: o-ring lube or not, mark the filter. You can do a quick visual later to check for movement.

Last edited:

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
They had problems with vibration from flat crank engines, GT350. I have done two oil changes, both times lubricated O ring. FL500S oil filter box still instructs to lube O ring. I tighten filter finger tight so O ring touches and then one complete turn. No leaks.

Sponsored

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
They had problems with vibration from flat crank engines, GT350. I have done two oil changes, both times lubricated O ring. FL500S oil filter box still instructs to lube O ring. I tighten filter finger tight so O ring touches and then one complete turn. No leaks.
This is how I've always done it, never had a leak, or come loose, or be hard to come off.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that this recommendation was issued for Mach 1 only. So asking people with non Machs could be misleading.

Oh the M1 is so special it requires a dry seal .... give me a break.

Some things are not to be questioned, and lubing the seal, a wet finger run over the seal is one of those.

Kannen strikes again :computerrage:

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Oh the M1 is so special it requires a dry seal .... give me a break.
M1 is special :). But you are right, I misread the OP photos, it seems indeed to be issued for all models. I remembered the issue surfaced with Mach 1 introduction, so whether it is affecting just the late models, or retroactively applies to all Mustangs I have no idea.

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
I have done exactly what rapid red said every time I've done an oil change which I've always done my own oil changes. I currently own 2 Ford's and a Toyota. Always dip my finger in the new oil and coat the o-ring (toyota) and seals on the ford's. Never had any problems whatsoever. Even do that on my gravely Zero turn and Yamaha golf cart. :crackup:
Sponsored