Sponsored

Do y'all think I totaled my car? (Update: I did)

MustangJason

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Warrior #9
If the adjuster even thinks there's frame damage (and he probably will), it's probably gone. Now you know the answer to (RWD + wet + gas pedal = ?). If only there hadn't been a concrete wall there . . .
Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Easily $15K in damage there. Adjuster will probably write $13K or so. More than likely a total, even if for a lack of parts to fix it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Buy it back, turn it into a CAMC autocross car. It would be an awesome platform to start from. And you would absolutely crush a lot of V-8 owners souls if you do it right!
what should the buy-back be? 5 grand? 8 tops?

The NoVA chapter of EMJC now has an operational EZLift so if you need a place to work on it. Neighbor has a fork-lift and Harbor Freight is a 1/2 mile away. @EmCel just learned how to take wheels on and off this weekend and how to use a torque wrench so I'm sure she's rarin' to learn how to strip the front off a Mustang and rehang an engine etc. :)
Johnny and I want "to do some real wrenching" and could be roped in to help I should think.

Last edited:

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
This was a ecoboost car? šŸ˜•

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's fixable. Age and miles have some effect on whether to repair or total it.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt

The NoVA chapter of EMJC now has an operational EZLift so if you need a place to work on it. Neighbor has a fork-lift and Harbor Freight is a 1/2 mile away. @EmCel just learned how to take wheels on and off this weekend and how to use a torque wrench so I'm sure she's rarin' to learn how to strip the front off a Mustang and rehang an engine etc. :)
Johnny and I want "to do some real wrenching" and could be roped in to help I should think.
For the record I know how to take tires on and off it was just too hard to wrench it thatā€™s all. Iā€™m not as strong as a big guy.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Cars like that list near me for between $23k to $29k. 60k miles puts it in the $24k ish range. Insurance companies total cars at what,70%-80%? So the closer you get to $17k in repairs the more likely it will be totaled.
Mustang parts aren't as hard to find as you might think, it seems that quite a few people wreck them...

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

I have no idea, I would have to look at the used market. When my wife 2011 Rav4 was totaled, she got 12k. Blew my mind that a plain jane Rav4 could fetch that kind of $$$.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
To be totaled the damages have to exceed 72%-75% of ACV.

If it is totaled, you could do as others said and buy it back, providing there isn't a lenders note out on it. The way that works is you negotiate the absolute best payout for the wreck, then when you are satisfied with the payout offered, you tell your adjuster you want to keep the car. Say they were going to pay you a hypothetical $20k for the car. To buy it back would be what it wouid go for at auction, so if they thought it would fetch $8k, you keep the car and they adjust your payout to $12k. Then it's up to you what you want to do with the wreck. Repair it, sell it as is and make more $$, or part it out to make $$.

If it still has a lender's note on it, obviously the Lender has to be satisfied first, then you're left with the remainder.

Glad you're ok - as you already know, valuable lesson learned - never try to push any vehicle in bad weather, no matter what set up it has on it or how in control you think you are at that interval... more so and especially if hitting a curve, exit/entrance to an on ramp, etc. All it takes is that split second of traction loss and in many instances, it's all over from there.

---

I don't think it has major frame damages (as in lower k-member or floor pans). What I see is you rip the fenders off, rip the hood off. Pull it to a big tree or use a Bob-cat - strap a chain around the center of the front at the crash bar and pull it lightly to straighten it. The rest is cosmetic. The most expensive parts will be headlights and airbags. Everything damaged can be sourced from salvage yard, eBay or LKQ (even in same body color). That car could be back on the road.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I have no idea, I would have to look at the used market. When my wife 2011 Rav4 was totaled, she got 12k. Blew my mind that a plain jane Rav4 could fetch that kind of $$$.
Buy back is different from payout.
What you got for the Rav4 was payout.
Buy back is what the insurance company wants to sell the wrecked vehicle for. The term is usually used when the owner of the vehicle wants to keep the wrecked car and buys it back from the insurance company.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Buy back is different from payout.
What you got for the Rav4 was payout.
Buy back is what the insurance company wants to sell the wrecked vehicle for. The term is usually used when the owner of the vehicle wants to keep the wrecked car and buys it back from the insurance company.
Correct. My point was, my wife got WAY more than I expected. We were expecting $6k. So OP shouldn't be shocked if payout is higher than anticipated too.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Correct. My point was, my wife got WAY more than I expected. We were expecting $6k. So OP shouldn't be shocked if payout is higher than anticipated too.
I gotcha. I agree, payouts are high. My daughter got about 30% more than I expected last November when she was hit.
Of course, it took forever to find a decent replacement for a reasonable price too...

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

Many times you can't buy back late models. Would probably be closer to $10K if they allow it.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
There's probably 10-15K of damage just to the front, plus you had 2 airbags go off, and those are expensive. Probably totaled, but depends on the percentage of damage to FMV of the vehicle.
Sponsored