Do Not Buy A Used car!!!!!

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; There are a few things driving the inflated prices. I think one is that many have a lot of extra dollars in their pocket right now. Extra unemployment for the time being. I know a woman who is drawing more right now than she was making when working. I have seen a change in her spending habits. In my experience there are some folks who simply canon sit on any extra money. I may be wrong but think some do not see what will happen when the extra money stops, or at least do not think about it.
In another thread a member of this forum who sells luxury cars told how a fellow wanted to buy a nice car using his unemployment check as his income. Not clear if the deal was made. Seems to me lots of folks will have a down payment or enough credit to get a finance deal, but will not be able to make payments over time. I can picture the inflation on basic living expenses getting to the point many will be missing car payments.

My point right now is once the glut of federal money passes thru the economy some things will change. I think in some states the extra payout will end in September. In a few the extra has already ended, but some lawsuits are in play over the early ending.

Last comments. For me the idea of having a Mustang is an extra car I do not actually need. Not a daily driver or work sort of vehicle. I can wait a while before looking again. Last I heard the chips Ford can get are going into the F-150 as it is the money maker. The market will start to see a lot of nearly a year old trucks hit the lots. They will be new trucks but the traditional time lines are altered. Not sure how this will play out. May be the pent up demand will keep the sale prices up. May be enough folks have already worked something out and the demand will be low.
Same thing may play out for the Mustangs when the chips become available to put into them.

Bottom line for me is to see if I can wait this out. Seems to me buying now is only if you are in a bind and cannot wait. Likely will be overpaying.
Sponsored

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think everyone is over reacting and over thinking the current inflation issue. Just look at the cost of lumber. Skyrocketed and then fell. The same will happen with the used car market. Car manufacturers will not be raising their prices to cover the inflated used market. They may be a slight increase but there always is. Used cars are going to have to come down.
Totally agree. People have short term memory. What goes up, must come down. When people stop buying after the summer, it will settle. Then car manf. will ask for another bail out because no one is buying new cars.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The long bonds are screaming this. Huge CPI print. Long bonds (rates) are down. Bond guys are some of the smartest on the planet.

Things are going to get interesting.
Will be interesting. This government sponsored inflation will continue to push until the fixed wallstreet takes back the positive investment returns because the inflation didn't maintain. Socialize the loses.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
The long bonds are screaming this. Huge CPI print. Long bonds (rates) are down. Bond guys are some of the smartest on the planet.

Things are going to get interesting.
In my long career I have seen changes come VERY quickly. A quick examination of the 1994 bond market is worth the time. As soon as the need to sell longer term treasuries because the idiots advising the president realize that the Fed can't stop open market movement, rates will qo up FAST. Clipping the housing market and sales of higher priced goods that are financed.

That is an OPINION. No one knows for sure but it does not look good for the younger generation, that's for sure.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I just checked Autotrader, the cheapest 2019 Mustang GT in Ontario is selling for more than I paid for my 2019 brand new over 2 years ago. And it's a completely base car while mine has PP1. I wonder if I should call the dealer and offer to sell it back, and just buy myself an old beater now that I work from home and don't need anything reliable. It would be amazing to drive a Mustang for 2 years for free.

Sponsored

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think it's just used cars. Looking online I see a 2021 GT Premium just over $52k and an 2021 Ecoboost Premium for $48k. That's insane!!!

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
A 2019 insured under a CC policy? Which Co?

I know when I shopped years ago, most Collector Car Ins. Companies only accepted certain model years and based on if the car was deemed a limited production run. Plus most have strict stipulations that the car is not to be used as a daily driver (along with other requirements). My 94 Cobra has been with American Collectors for years; they are based out of FL and have a satellite site in NJ. I can drive it leisurely (ie: not just to shows or events) but it cannot be used as a daily and it's mileage is logged annually upon renewal.
I have my lowly '15 GT insured through Hagerty along with a couple of other 'actual' vintage/collector vehicles. Stipulations are the same on all, limited usage (fair weather drives/weekends/shows) totaling less than 2,000 miles/year (which they never verify). Zero deductible, substantially cheaper than my normal provider on the dailies.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think it's just used cars. Looking online I see a 2021 GT Premium just over $52k and an 2021 Ecoboost Premium for $48k. That's insane!!!
i bought my cali special at 48K out the door. could of had a new bullit for that a while back. I guess I did ok......assuming it ever gets built!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
A fully loaded GT Premium coupe has a MSRP of $56,825.
A fully loaded Ecoboost Premium coupe has a MSRP of $48,215

Yup, just a little crazy.

Sponsored

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

glad i pulled the trigger when i did. was actually thinking about an EB HHP at one point but couldn't justify the cost. Was almost near price of a GT and without the V8 action sounds! :sunglasses:

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I did see a dealer had a 21 GTCS Iconic Silver listed for $43,575 today. 401A, 6MT, active valve.... close to what I ordered but without B&O radio. Seems like a good deal if real. Just really want mine in VB so I'll wait.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Serious inflation. Those that bought a car for under sticker are usually happy. Wait until the '22s come out with price increases of SEVERAL THOUSAND dollars higher than the 21s.
10% inflation is 3-4k. Ford jacked the price of the PP1 package 25% each year for 2 years. Now *there* was some serious inflation. 10k over is 25% inflation. If that bears out in other sectors the Fed Eccles building and Congress will (should?) be in flames with all residents still inside.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I'm thinking the big increase the the pp packages might be warranty work as well.

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
lol @ anyone thinking that those on unemployment or collecting "stimmy" checks are purchasing these cars. And also lol @ thinking that someone that collects $600 in unemployment benefits rather than going back to work is the problem

I'd love to see that case study especially in a high cost living area where $600 lasts you a week of groceries
Sponsored